Originally Posted by wolfen68
I have recently noted that I am getting a new symptom I've never seen before. It doesn't seem to be firmware related as I am back on the 1.2.7 for now. Here's what happens:
- After some use, the player will report approximately 70 or more percent charge.
- I plug it in to charge.
- Within minutes, the DX100's screen unbelievably shows a full charge. When immediately turned on it may briefly show 99 or 100%
- After a song or two it shows that the charge is back where it was..around 70%
Usually I charge the player when it is at 50% charge. I plan on running it down to see if I can get the battery to recalibrate.
Yes, I certainly had a battery issue on 1.2.7. After a while I noticed that the indicator just wasn't reliable. After charging it would stay at 100% for an implausibly long time, then gradually reduce to between 50-70% then die suddenly. With the new firmware that at least seems better - it reduces in a way that appears more likely to be correct, but it's too early to say for certain. I'm sure I read earlier in this thread that this problem had happened to others too and that there's a way of resetting the battery indicator. However, like a lot of issues with this player, it demands a degree of user intervention and I tend to prefer not to fiddle. I don't rely on the indicator anyway as I know a charge is good for two days of commuting for me.
I don't mind putting up with a few minor issues as long as the player basically works. It would be nice though if the next firmware upgrade really put a lot of these small niggles finally to bed. By the way, I find the sound on 1.3.5 fractionally better, but as my commute is noisy I haven't done any really critical listening yet.
But hey, having cut my 'high-end' mobile hifi teeth on a Sony professional walkman cassette players in the 1980s, I'm not complaining. I think it's fair to say that with the DX100 we've come a long way! Sadly, though, you can't tape The Clash live with the DX100! Those were happy days...