Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2. - Page 680

post #10186 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post


No way this is a finished product I'm afraid... Have you made a playlist yet? Absurd, that it lists as plays in reverse order. Having to make them up in reverse in Media Monkey and transferring is a complete pain in the a#%e. then there is the random play stopping when it goes to sleep, or the click when you wake it up. But I am not just complaining here. Others have written that iBasso listens so I have sent the following to them. Others should do likewise so they hear us...

Hi,
First up, really liking my DX100. Great sound for any music I play. But there are a couple things which need your attention.
1. Just updated the firmware to 1.3.5. Playlists play in the reverse order to their track listing. This makes it impossible to create a playlist of almost any music. For example any album that embraces two or more CDs, eg Pink Floyds The Wall, I would make into a playlist so the entire album plays without interruption. Why on earth would I want it to play in reverse order? And making up a classical playlist? Forget it. Guys this must be immediately corrected.
2. From time to time the music just stops playing a short time after the screen sleeps. Wake it up and it recommences playing. This also happened on 1.2.7. If I restart the DX it seems okay for a while then randomly the problem comes back. I did a factory reset but that has not fixed this problem.
3. I hate the load click that invades my ears when I awake the DX100 if it has been asleep press the wake button. Can't this be fixed. Such an expensive player should not do this. It's not in keeping with the quality of the device other than these few niggles.
Please fix the playlist with an update immediately if the other two things may take a little longer. It's an absolute pain to make up playlists to overcome your mistake. But al three of these things get much comment of Head-Fi but you're probably aware of that.
Thanks in advance for fixing,

My issue in point 2 just happened again while I write this. It happens whether listening in the simple or advanced player mode. Doesn't seem to be like some others symptoms here. No other apps running in background... Going to try whether the exit from the advanced UI works and if there is a relationship to reaching the end of an album.

Hope iBasso fix these quickly and don't take a few months waiting for the next major firmware update.

 

Thank you for communicating these issues with them. Hopefully they'll bring out a fix soon enough. They've been pretty good with that sort of thing so far.

post #10187 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuthecaveman View Post

... is this the scenarios as figgie described "Seems to only happen within the application AFTER it gets to the last song of a folder then it continues until you press the setting button and EXIT the application. When you play from the widget (the screen player and not the full UI) at that point it does not do it."
I have been able to replicate this behaviour. Thanks for the heads up. I will send iBasso another note confirming and describing this behaviour as it may assist in diagnosing the fix.

Thanks.
post #10188 of 12539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post


No way this is a finished product I'm afraid... Have you made a playlist yet? Absurd, that it lists as plays in reverse order. Having to make them up in reverse in Media Monkey and transferring is a complete pain in the a#%e. then there is the random play stopping when it goes to sleep, or the click when you wake it up. But I am not just complaining here. Others have written that iBasso listens so I have sent the following to them. Others should do likewise so they hear us...

Hi,
First up, really liking my DX100. Great sound for any music I play. But there are a couple things which need your attention.
1. Just updated the firmware to 1.3.5. Playlists play in the reverse order to their track listing. This makes it impossible to create a playlist of almost any music. For example any album that embraces two or more CDs, eg Pink Floyds The Wall, I would make into a playlist so the entire album plays without interruption. Why on earth would I want it to play in reverse order? And making up a classical playlist? Forget it. Guys this must be immediately corrected.
2. From time to time the music just stops playing a short time after the screen sleeps. Wake it up and it recommences playing. This also happened on 1.2.7. If I restart the DX it seems okay for a while then randomly the problem comes back. I did a factory reset but that has not fixed this problem.
3. I hate the load click that invades my ears when I awake the DX100 if it has been asleep press the wake button. Can't this be fixed. Such an expensive player should not do this. It's not in keeping with the quality of the device other than these few niggles.
Please fix the playlist with an update immediately if the other two things may take a little longer. It's an absolute pain to make up playlists to overcome your mistake. But al three of these things get much comment of Head-Fi but you're probably aware of that.
Thanks in advance for fixing,

My issue in point 2 just happened again while I write this. It happens whether listening in the simple or advanced player mode. Doesn't seem to be like some others symptoms here. No other apps running in background... Going to try whether the exit from the advanced UI works and if there is a relationship to reaching the end of an album.

Hope iBasso fix these quickly and don't take a few months waiting for the next major firmware update.


Maybe you already mentioned this but did you do a factory reset? I don't have any issues. My player will go all night or day or day and night. Yes, the player pops when coming back on because they did not want to put a capacitor in the signal path. I know of a number of players that do this as they feel the cap will degrade the sound, which it can.

post #10189 of 12539
Yes, I did the Factory reset as mentioned in my post... The problem was occurring for me pretty much from new and before any FW updates. Maybe some conflict with other software, and I'm thinking a widget is involved. Going to try a few other things before formatting as suggested in the prompt reply I got from iBasso already. Note the sorting playlist response and they confirm your comment about the capacitor... Oh well...

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
"1. Just updated the firmware to 1.3.5. Play lists play in the reverse order to their track listing. This makes it impossible to create a playlist of almost any music. For example any album that embraces two or more CDs, eg Pink Floyds The Wall, I would make into a playlist so the entire album plays without interruption. Why on earth would I want it to play in reverse order? And making up a classical playlist? Forget it. Guys this must be immediately corrected."
There is a "sorting by" function. You can choose to sort your music by album to solve this problem.

"2. From time to time the music just stops playing a short time after the screen sleeps. Wake it up and it recommences playing. This also happened on 1.2.7. If I restart the DX it seems okay for a while then randomly the problem comes back. I did a factory reset but that has not fixed this problem."
you can use the following tool to fully format your DX100 and re-load firmware. I guess your DX100 has some software problem after upgrade.
http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX100 tool.rar

"3. I hate the load click that invades my ears when I awake the DX100 if it has been asleep press the wake button. Can't this be fixed. Such an expensive player should not do this. It's not in keeping with the quality of the device other than these few niggles."
the wake up noise is caused by the capacitor inpulse. If we removed most of the big capacitors inside the DX100, then this noise gone. However, is the DX100 still a hifi player without those capacitors. Most of the portable AMP has this wake up noise when powered up. This noise cant be avoided.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Just a quick comment on the playlist sorting... Bit hard to find how to do this so here is the method...

Load your playlist, select a track, then from the advanced UI, press the icon at top right to select the now playing list, press the menu button and choose Album from the four sort options. Seems "track" would have been more logical but Album plays in the track or file order.

Guess they got some unwarranted criticism. Must say it did seem illogical that songs would play in reverse order without any way to change it.

Thanks iBasso...
post #10190 of 12539
General perception of the new firmware is sad. In two words - looks like you came towards consumer sound from clarity and density. 
 
Separation is "better"... to tell the true I just got lost in some track that was listening before where is who playing around me. "Sounds" are all around me from all the sides. But not instruments any more. "Hotel California" by Eagles is now some kind of guess what sound depicts what instrument. Here is something like a guitar... there is something like 

Sound is bassy but without that previous linearity in the middle. Middle sounds (for example guitar in "Hotel California" by Eagles) are lost and like couldn't decide either go to L channel or R. And splitting feeling makes instrument sound unnatural, dirty. You can't read the main tune. Just peak notes.

The same thing with vocal. Now vocal is lost somewhere between L and R channels. Looks like you have two stereo speakers playing and then singer standing behind them crying as background. So me and listener is trying to find and chase him out of the massive noise.  

Accordion - lost density and part of its timbre. 
Violins - the same.
Piano - sounds like something likely piano. Hard to split is it natural or electronic.

For now it sounds more like mp3 sound on tracks even with material like " trondheim solistene divertimenti (24bit.192khz) ".

It may be just a first perception, so I will try now to go down to previous firmware and compare sound again.

But if that would be the same then - I ask you to add in the player possibility to choose between that "all around but nothing specific" sound and that "dense and clear" one of the last firmware. Maybe 10% of users percive new sound as not acceptable. 


2. Brightness problem - in the menu "brightness" in settings it is going lower till the middle of the marker, then just goes up again with marker going to "minimal". Then when you use player brightness jumps up and down when it wish.

3. While changing tracks first half of the second of the sound may contain any king of ****: either twice the beging of the present track, either first sounds of the last track or some other's from the album or played before.
 
4. I don't know why people say that menu started to work faster. Mine for sure (i double checked with downgrade to 1.2.7 and upgrade to 1.3.5 again) is working faster on 1.2.7. Especially when I scroll down list of track in the album or folders list.
 

.....SO. I have just downgraded to 1.2.7 (without factory reset yet) and listened to the first track. That was again Hotel California. And need to say that device sounded again with dense and colorful sound. Voice of the singer is in the center before the instruments and you are not painfully trying to identify him from the all the bassy-bumping noise around you. Yes... separation of instruments and back vocal voices is not that "good". But once again what do I need that 5.1 kind separation if all those separated voices became mp3 stile thin, dirty and unnatural. Just try yourself... maybe you also believed that crowd saying "wow! it is better... bass is better"... Just try yourself what is worth to be.

 
Made factory reset to double check any changes... No. Sound is the same as after downgrade to 1.2.7. 


OK. Some subjected s..t about sound:

Eagles, Unplugged  Hotel California 16.44 = new sound just makes be uncomfortable with guitar 100% in left ear in the beginign of the track. Bass present and booming but not that attacking clear. Sound of the guitars are kind of mp3 sharp but without definitions. Feeling of 5.1 listening with instruments falling on you from unexpected sides. 
 
Vaya Cod Dios, Sunny Days 24.96 = with new sound her voice lost velvet but sharp timbro. Maybe overal picture of sound became smooth. But for me boring... cause I personally listen to her voice. Plus compare that "..sunny days are over..." refrain with 2 men voices on 1.2.7 and 1.3.5 sound. In first case they make me smile.. in second - just make background. 

Yo Yo Ma, Libertango (track 1) and Sur Regresso Al Amor (track 4) 16.44 = they became just funny background. Accordeon is not touching. Hard to split mood of upper and lower notes. On 4th track sound of scratching the string is not touching at all on 1.3.5.
 
Brian Bromberg Wood II, track 1, Caravan = that wish to split chanels and extra bass on 1.3.5 just make ground beef of the melody. You just sitting and trying to glue it all together of that noise falling on you... 
 
Brian Bromberg Wood, track 4, Goodbye to my father = over bassy.. I can't enjoy the sharpness of the upper bass, just unpleasant vibration in my headphones. Piano sounds cheap and somewhere behind that overbassy cacophony. 
 
Trondheim solistene divertimenti (24bit.192khz) = that one I liked the most on 1.3.5. But still like more compressed sound of 1.2.7 when the whole orchestra is infront of me sounding on me with dense front and not that funny felling like two close violins playing completely in two different ears. Like they are sitting in different sides from me and me in the middle. IMHO... 

Jethro Tull, Stand Up, B2 Fat Man, 24.96 = funny feelingg. :) With 1.3.5 surround effect that track sounded funny like I listen to 5.1 soundtrack to LionKing. :)))) WIth accent on dialog of instruments talking to each other directly through me sitting in the center of them. Funny feeling. May be pleased with... On 1.2.7 there is no such "fun". But more texturized voice of the singer in front of me. Everyone should choose what he likes. 
 
Norah Jones, A5 Come Away With Me, 24.96 = The voice became softer. Lost some sandy taste [but I am not sure it should be there]. Electric guitar sounds like "something like electric guitar" as to me. 
 
AC DC, 2LPs rip 2008, track B1 Decibel and B7 Black Ice = on 1.2.7 sound has some velvet (I don't know why... maybe guitar tube amplifiers makes such a sound). On 1.3.5 I don't hear it any more. Sound is more dirty and mp3-dirty.

Okey. Enough this subjective delirium. I think I am too emotional with my disappointment with new sound. :(
Will go on for second upgrade and downgrade listening and post the comment if my feelingы would not change.
 
No.. it din't. So I hope iBasso would at least hear my ask to leave possibility to have this "more mono style sound as in 1.2.7" and still have possibility to have bugs fixed.


PS. I was listening in Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones (250 Ohm) and Grado 80i headphones. Grado with 1.3.5 just stopped sound at all. So track to track comparison I made with DT 990 Pro after having some feeling that something happened wrong with Grado.
 
PPS. And sorry for my English. :))))
post #10191 of 12539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki View Post

General perception of the new firmware is sad. In two words - looks like you came towards consumer sound from clarity and density. 
 
Separation is "better"... to tell the true I just got lost in some track that was listening before where is who playing around me. "Sounds" are all around me from all the sides. But not instruments any more. "Hotel California" by Eagles is now some kind of guess what sound depicts what instrument. Here is something like a guitar... there is something like 

Sound is bassy but without that previous linearity in the middle. Middle sounds (for example guitar in "Hotel California" by Eagles) are lost and like couldn't decide either go to L channel or R. And splitting feeling makes instrument sound unnatural, dirty. You can't read the main tune. Just peak notes.

The same thing with vocal. Now vocal is lost somewhere between L and R channels. Looks like you have two stereo speakers playing and then singer standing behind them crying as background. So me and listener is trying to find and chase him out of the massive noise.  

Accordion - lost density and part of its timbre. 
Violins - the same.
Piano - sounds like something likely piano. Hard to split is it natural or electronic.

For now it sounds more like mp3 sound on tracks even with material like " trondheim solistene divertimenti (24bit.192khz) ".

It may be just a first perception, so I will try now to go down to previous firmware and compare sound again.

But if that would be the same then - I ask you to add in the player possibility to choose between that "all around but nothing specific" sound and that "dense and clear" one of the last firmware. Maybe 10% of users percive new sound as not acceptable. 


2. Brightness problem - in the menu "brightness" in settings it is going lower till the middle of the marker, then just goes up again with marker going to "minimal". Then when you use player brightness jumps up and down when it wish.

3. While changing tracks first half of the second of the sound may contain any king of ****: either twice the beging of the present track, either first sounds of the last track or some other's from the album or played before.
 
4. I don't know why people say that menu started to work faster. Mine for sure (i double checked with downgrade to 1.2.7 and upgrade to 1.3.5 again) is working faster on 1.2.7. Especially when I scroll down list of track in the album or folders list.
 

.....SO. I have just downgraded to 1.2.7 (without factory reset yet) and listened to the first track. That was again Hotel California. And need to say that device sounded again with dense and colorful sound. Voice of the singer is in the center before the instruments and you are not painfully trying to identify him from the all the bassy-bumping noise around you. Yes... separation of instruments and back vocal voices is not that "good". But once again what do I need that 5.1 kind separation if all those separated voices became mp3 stile thin, dirty and unnatural. Just try yourself... maybe you also believed that crowd saying "wow! it is better... bass is better"... Just try yourself what is worth to be.

 
Made factory reset to double check any changes... No. Sound is the same as after downgrade to 1.2.7. 


OK. Some subjected s..t about sound:

Eagles, Unplugged  Hotel California 16.44 = new sound just makes be uncomfortable with guitar 100% in left ear in the beginign of the track. Bass present and booming but not that attacking clear. Sound of the guitars are kind of mp3 sharp but without definitions. Feeling of 5.1 listening with instruments falling on you from unexpected sides. 
 
Vaya Cod Dios, Sunny Days 24.96 = with new sound her voice lost velvet but sharp timbro. Maybe overal picture of sound became smooth. But for me boring... cause I personally listen to her voice. Plus compare that "..sunny days are over..." refrain with 2 men voices on 1.2.7 and 1.3.5 sound. In first case they make me smile.. in second - just make background. 

Yo Yo Ma, Libertango (track 1) and Sur Regresso Al Amor (track 4) 16.44 = they became just funny background. Accordeon is not touching. Hard to split mood of upper and lower notes. On 4th track sound of scratching the string is not touching at all on 1.3.5.
 
Brian Bromberg Wood II, track 1, Caravan = that wish to split chanels and extra bass on 1.3.5 just make ground beef of the melody. You just sitting and trying to glue it all together of that noise falling on you... 
 
Brian Bromberg Wood, track 4, Goodbye to my father = over bassy.. I can't enjoy the sharpness of the upper bass, just unpleasant vibration in my headphones. Piano sounds cheap and somewhere behind that overbassy cacophony. 
 
Trondheim solistene divertimenti (24bit.192khz) = that one I liked the most on 1.3.5. But still like more compressed sound of 1.2.7 when the whole orchestra is infront of me sounding on me with dense front and not that funny felling like two close violins playing completely in two different ears. Like they are sitting in different sides from me and me in the middle. IMHO... 

Jethro Tull, Stand Up, B2 Fat Man, 24.96 = funny feelingg. :) With 1.3.5 surround effect that track sounded funny like I listen to 5.1 soundtrack to LionKing. :)))) WIth accent on dialog of instruments talking to each other directly through me sitting in the center of them. Funny feeling. May be pleased with... On 1.2.7 there is no such "fun". But more texturized voice of the singer in front of me. Everyone should choose what he likes. 
 
Norah Jones, A5 Come Away With Me, 24.96 = The voice became softer. Lost some sandy taste [but I am not sure it should be there]. Electric guitar sounds like "something like electric guitar" as to me. 
 
AC DC, 2LPs rip 2008, track B1 Decibel and B7 Black Ice = on 1.2.7 sound has some velvet (I don't know why... maybe guitar tube amplifiers makes such a sound). On 1.3.5 I don't hear it any more. Sound is more dirty and mp3-dirty.

Okey. Enough this subjective delirium. I think I am too emotional with my disappointment with new sound. :(
Will go on for second upgrade and downgrade listening and post the comment if my feelingы would not change.
 
No.. it din't. So I hope iBasso would at least hear my ask to leave possibility to have this "more mono style sound as in 1.2.7" and still have possibility to have bugs fixed.


PS. I was listening in Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones (250 Ohm) and Grado 80i headphones. Grado with 1.3.5 just stopped sound at all. So track to track comparison I made with DT 990 Pro after having some feeling that something happened wrong with Grado.
 
PPS. And sorry for my English. :))))


Great thoughts and comments. I look forward to more of your impressions. It would be interesting to have two versions of firmware with all the fixes and then the sound of 1.2.7 and whatever the current sound is, or something along those lines. I didn't have any problems with 1.2.7 so even if I went back to that I would be happy.

post #10192 of 12539
I just complete my first full-run battery test following my firmware update and factory reset. Running low gain, volume set at 200, random play, EQ off, native play on all settings, playing into Blox TM7 earbuds, my time from full battery to empty shut-off was 6 hours, 10 minutes. I have no downloaded apps, all localizing turned off, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off.

Previously, I normally got about 9 hours play time. The 6 hour battery life is rather disappointing.

I will try another drain test with random play turned off and see if it makes any difference. I doubt that my battery is giving out already as I have had good luck with the iBasso batteries in my other players.
post #10193 of 12539
Boy am I glad I bought the Japan version HDPR10 I get about 10 hours of blistfull
Music no complaints I wonder if u guys can use my firmware
post #10194 of 12539
One more thing to ponder people on this forum use this unite being ripped apart
In this thread for reviews of headphones and IEM, S so my question is how much Merritt
Can we put on there reviews on accuracy. I'm not picking just reading
Wow
post #10195 of 12539

I have 5-6 hours normally on 1.2.7.

 

Never ever dreamed about 9 :)))))

 

Bought extra battery pack about 150g and 2.4Ah for 12v with minimalistic design. Able to charge my device to 100% once. So I have 8-10 hours that way :)

post #10196 of 12539

:)

 

That is funny. For Japan they made it well.

 

:)))))))

post #10197 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post


Great thoughts and comments. I look forward to more of your impressions. It would be interesting to have two versions of firmware with all the fixes and then the sound of 1.2.7 and whatever the current sound is, or something along those lines. I didn't have any problems with 1.2.7 so even if I went back to that I would be happy.

 

:))) Photographer can understand subjectivity of another photographer. 

post #10198 of 12539

Somethings I'd want for the master copy firmware update (the one where ibasso says everything's finally fixed and we're done with updates) are:

 

1) the option to delete bloatware from the unit completely without having to root the device (a factory reset would restore it in case someone changed their mind).  Seriously, who uses the calendar widget ever?

 

2) external track skip/previous controls (I was thinking somehow the volume up/down buttons could double for this) so that we don't have to have the screen on to advance a track or listen to the last one.  It would save on battery and be immensely more convenient.

 

3) I think it would be cool (albeit unnecessary), if in their EQ settings they would make it so you could listen to the player on all the different firmware settings to see the evolution of sound for this thing (plus some people seem to prefer the SQ of 1.2.7 over 1.3.5)

 

Those are a couple bells and whistles I'd like to see- not sure if they'd ever happen- but still these would be cool! biggrin.gif

post #10199 of 12539
Sorry to report that after the full reformat and installation of 1.3.5 without any previous FW and the couple hours restoring my music files AND of course not loading anything else at all to my DX100, I still have the play stop on the next tracks after it finishes playing an album or playlist until I exit the Music App.

This is so consistent on my device I would be interested if some of you kind fellow-owners could try to see if yours are the same. If it is then its a bug and should be fixed. If not then it is possibly just some isolated devices and can be fixed by replacement.

Fact is, I have only had mine for a few weeks after returning a A&K AK100 because of the impedance issue and the lack of gapless play back. When you spend this much on a DAP, we deserve near perfection IMHO.
post #10200 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

Sorry to report that after the full reformat and installation of 1.3.5 without any previous FW and the couple hours restoring my music files AND of course not loading anything else at all to my DX100, I still have the play stop on the next tracks after it finishes playing an album or playlist until I exit the Music App.

This is so consistent on my device I would be interested if some of you kind fellow-owners could try to see if yours are the same. If it is then its a bug and should be fixed. If not then it is possibly just some isolated devices and can be fixed by replacement.

Fact is, I have only had mine for a few weeks after returning a A&K AK100 because of the impedance issue and the lack of gapless play back. When you spend this much on a DAP, we deserve near perfection IMHO.


Jpfe did you do a factory restore? That is different from a reformat. You have to go into settings/privacy and select factory restore. Make sure your micro SD card is not in the unit when doing this. Don't check format SD card as that will delete your music. Once you do this I also recommend you go into the process menu and stop and clear the music player program and the media storage process. Once you do all of this (I recommend you do the latter before the former first, actually) then it will restart automatically and then just let it sit for say 15 to 20 minutes to let it re-index all your music. Once this is done then things should be fine according to what others are saying. You can also make sure your gapless playback is set to native play. If it's not in native play and the 5 or 10 second gapless. then it is not true gapless and will have a fade in (and a pop from what I remember). If you are still having these issues and others can't replicate it it may very well be your unit is faulty. Unless there is something going on in your tags? I have a guide on how to tag your music seamlessly for the DX100 and Studio V (technically it can be applied to most DAPs even my iphone4 and Sansa Fuze).

 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/mp3tag-setup-guide

 

The same guide can be found in the ibasso DX100 Faq page below along with other helpful information from various headfiers :).
.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx100-faq


Edited by lee730 - 1/27/13 at 8:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.