Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need M50 Alternatives <$300
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need M50 Alternatives <$300

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

First, a quick preliminary note: I just got the M50's and they are my first "big boy" headphones. I understand this is the experience of many on this forums. I also just bought these so I am able to return them. I do enjoy these headphones but I am sure this could be attested towards the fact that these are the first good headphones I've tried. My problem with the M50 is that they are too damn uncomfortable. After an hour I find my right ear begging to be released from these cans.

 

I find that I am going to be playing BF3 a lot, and games in general. Thus, I have determined that soundstage and positioning is definitely something I am looking for. I would like to retain the bass value that the M50's produce, though they are certainly no basshead cans by any standards, as some would like to imply here on the forum. Also, I tend to prefer a closed headphone vs an open. Or at least, I would like to stick with partially closed. I understand that the soundstage can only be so good with a closed set of cans.

 

A few I've considered:

 

  • Denon AH-D2000
  • AKG K701/702
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • AT A700

 

(I'm willing to consider something up to $500 if it is that much better for what I want to do. Like is the D5000 really miles ahead of the D2000?)

 

Wishlist:

 

  • Bass as good or better as the M50
  • Decent-excellent soundstage (better than M50)
  • Comfortable (I realize this is subjective, but there has to be some common ground somewhere)
  • Closed if possible

 

I understand that the only really closed set is the D2000, though I would want to keep the 701's in mind for gaming.

 

I know it is going to be rare to find someone who has tried all of these. Truth be told, I am leaning towards the D2000's but they have increased to $350 as of late, and I don't know if that price is justified. Also, I will only buy new, so no need to mention that the D2000's can be had for $200 used.

 

Final note: I will be using an Asus Xonar Essence STX to power any of the headphones I choose.

 

What do you guys think?


Edited by nStyle - 1/22/12 at 6:29pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 11
Quote:

A few I've considered:

 

  • Denon AH-D2000
  • AKG K701/702
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • AT A700

 

(I'm willing to consider something up to $500 if it is that much better for what I want to do. Like is the D5000 really miles ahead of the D2000?)

 

Wishlist:

 

  • Bass as good or better as the M50
  • Decent-excellent soundstage (better than M50)
  • Comfortable (I realize this is subjective, but there has to be some common ground somewhere)
  • Closed if possible

 


Just ordered D2Ks off amazon for 300 exactly. Get them, seriously just get them, you will NOT be disappointed.

 

I got the M50s as my first cans, except I used them exclusively for over a year, still love em. But d2k comfort is like immensely greater than m50s. soundstage is way way huger, bass impact and overall quality of bass and every other sound in the spectrum is like whoah. read my review i just posted.

 


Edited by e2pathos - 1/22/12 at 6:33pm
post #3 of 11

Denon AH-D2000

post #4 of 11

Are Denon D2000's something you shouldn't buy without a warranty? I can get the $230 from an authorized dealer but they are open box.. I was not a fan of finding out the screw problem.

post #5 of 11

In terms of better options.

I have both the ATH m50's and the A700.


Personally, I really prefer the A700. The soundstage is so much more expansive--where you can hear certain instruments really sparkle in the treble almost like it's not limited. The m50 is really good as a monitor headphone, but the problem is that the highs feel almost rolled off a little/bass presence seems diminished.

Comfort, you can't beat the A700, The floating wings make it feel like you're not even wearing them after 5 minutes. The pressure is even throughout, not resting behind your ears or on top of them so they make for long listening sessions with no listening fatigue. Not to mention you can snag them for about $106-$120 online.


The only drawback, you'll want a headphone amp to power them. They need a little juice to push the drivers.

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrenJobrah View Post

Are Denon D2000's something you shouldn't buy without a warranty? I can get the $230 from an authorized dealer but they are open box.. I was not a fan of finding out the screw problem.

I'm pretty sure the $200 D2000 deal includes warranty.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones-ob

Edit: Yeah, they do.
Quote:
Open Box (Product has been opened, but is in like new condition and includes full manufacturer warranty)
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


I'm pretty sure the $200 D2000 deal includes warranty.
http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones-ob
Edit: Yeah, they do.
Quote:
Open Box (Product has been opened, but is in like new condition and includes full manufacturer warranty)


That's weird, I called them up and they said it doesn't come with a warranty. Regardless I bought it off amazon as an open box like new item from them.. interesting.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrenJobrah View Post



That's weird, I called them up and they said it doesn't come with a warranty. Regardless I bought it off amazon as an open box like new item from them.. interesting.

Congrats! Let us know what you think after they arrive. darthsmile.gif
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Congrats! Let us know what you think after they arrive. darthsmile.gif

ditto
 

 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2pathos View Post


Just ordered D2Ks off amazon for 300 exactly. Get them, seriously just get them, you will NOT be disappointed.

 

I got the M50s as my first cans, except I used them exclusively for over a year, still love em. But d2k comfort is like immensely greater than m50s. soundstage is way way huger, bass impact and overall quality of bass and every other sound in the spectrum is like whoah. read my review i just posted.

 

 

Open box for $200 from Electronics Expo where they literally just break the seal of the box. They don't touch anything inside.
 

Shiz, just found out someone posted this before me.

 

._."

 

How embarassing.


Edited by justinliu - 1/24/12 at 11:17pm
post #11 of 11

nice buy man, the d2000 blows AT m50 anytime any way

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need M50 Alternatives <$300