Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] - Page 43

post #631 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I've heard all three of those and I'd pick the l1.

Thank you! I sure look forward to listen to them. They look amazing btw!
post #632 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tinkertrain View Post

I ordered the Philips Fidelio L1 today. I have been looking at the Sennheiser Momentum and Sony Mdr 1r alot but the more i read about the Fidelio L1, the more interesting they seemed. Well i will know if i did the right thing or not in a couple of days.

If i like them i will look for a good usb dac head amp. HRT microstreamer, Fiio E17, Audioquest dragonfly, all seems very interesting but I don't know which one is the best for the Fidelio L1?


I think you will not regret it. The L1 keeps going strong and surprising me after one year I bought it. The portable amp that I use is the Headstage Arrow (http://www.headstage.eu) and I can recommend it; great sound and great battery life.
Edited by rixlbg - 7/13/13 at 2:36pm
post #633 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixlbg View Post

I think you will not regret it. The L1 keeps going strong and surprising me after one year I bought it. The portable amp that I use is the Headstage Arrow (http://www.headstage.eu) and I can recommend it; great sound and great battery life.

Thank you for the portabe amp tip (and your words about Fidelio L1) I will def check it out!
post #634 of 694
I got my Philips fidelio L1 today and i'm def keeping them!
I have only been listening to them for about two hours and on my iPad so far but i really like the sound. Toto - Tambu, Lynard skynard - Twenty and Van halen - The very best of, sounds good, clean and warm.

The L1 doesn't sound as good as my hifi/home cinema rig but i didn't expect that. My hifi rig is way, way more expensive than the L1 and i haven't been listening to the cans with the HRT microstreamer and flac files yet. I can't wait to do that!

I didn't know what to expect despite all the positive reviews i have been reading because sound is a very personal thing according to me. But i'm a happy man and the Fidelio L1 will def stay and be my new bff.
post #635 of 694
Nice! I like them too, but I can't wear them for long. They clamp very tightly.
post #636 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Nice! I like them too, but I can't wear them for long. They clamp very tightly.

I'm sorry to hear that but that is an important aspect. They should feel really good on your head (as they do on mine)
post #637 of 694
Most people find them comfortable.
post #638 of 694

Just got these and I'm really digging them, but I'm curious if there is anything speaking to an increase in quality when amped? I got them for a great price, so I'm willing to splurge out and get an amp and/or a DAC if it would be complementary and beneficial 

post #639 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder47 View Post

Just got these and I'm really digging them, but I'm curious if there is anything speaking to an increase in quality when amped? I got them for a great price, so I'm willing to splurge out and get an amp and/or a DAC if it would be complementary and beneficial 

Steve Guttenberg at Cnet thinks so. Read his review;
http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/philips-fidelio-l1-headphones/4505-13831_7-35153179.html

I'm using the HRT microstreamer with my Fidelio L1 and i really like that combo. I'm thinking of getting a head amp too but i'm in no hurry as i really like my HRT.
post #640 of 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tinkertrain View Post


Steve Guttenberg at Cnet thinks so. Read his review;
http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/philips-fidelio-l1-headphones/4505-13831_7-35153179.html

I'm using the HRT microstreamer with my Fidelio L1 and i really like that combo. I'm thinking of getting a head amp too but i'm in no hurry as i really like my HRT.

 

I wonder if a Magni/Modi would be overkill....

post #641 of 694
Also interested about people's impressions with an amp - considering these paired with an e17
post #642 of 694
Me too.
I'm interested in the Micromega Myzic, Ifi ican and JDS labs objective 2.
post #643 of 694
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Also interested about people's impressions with an amp - considering these paired with an e17

 

IMO, these are definitely casual 'phones. They are not the correct choice to tweak, mod, replace cables, EQ and tweak the best possible performance to one's liking. The Fidelio line is uncomplicated and works well with any source. The sound is lively and engaging without causing much fatigue. Headset, mic and controls are compatible with all iDevices, MacBooks, Lenovos, BlackBerrys, etc. pp.

 

I have the L1 and the E17 but I never use them together. The L1 is one of those headphones where I just don't care. It's versatile and comfortable, I really do not want to go through the stress to pack out an amp for an marginal improvement.

 

I have plugged them in the FiiO before (because it was already connected), but since I didn't do any A/B comparisons I don't remember any sonic improvements. So unless your source is not loud enough, don't bother! YMMV

post #644 of 694
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tinkertrain View Post

Me too.
I'm interested in the Micromega Myzic, Ifi ican and JDS labs objective 2.

 

I might want to add: A headphone amp does exactly what the name says. It amplifies power. There is no sound in power. Personally, I think all differences people perceive with different amps are from the subconsciousness because you like the build, weight or you just feel like spending money has to be an improvement. Personally, these factors play a role for me too, because when I like a product, the reactions in my brain are different and thus I subjectively perceive sound differently.

 

If you are asking which amp pairs best, how they sound different, I am sorry to say that they are the same. Take the one which you think looks best. Physically speaking, differences will not be audible unless one amp has obvious flaws (e.g. high OI, hiss, noise, cracking).


Edited by Ultrazino - 8/20/13 at 1:08am
post #645 of 694

Philips is launching a new Fidelio headphone. Is the Fidelio L2. The design is kind of a mix between the M1 and the L1, and the sound, they say, is less bassy. I don't know if this means the L1 will be terminated or if the L2 is only an addition to the portfolio. (the picture is from user ManAtWork)

 

Can be seen here too: http://www.philips.co.uk/c/headphones/black-l2bo_00/prd/

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]