- 1,722 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Location: United Kingdom
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Shure srh840 vs Denon D2000...which one should i get? Last post on 6/27/12 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans? Last post on 6/24/12 at 6:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The housing has a rounder shape then the vsd3/5 and i much prefer it this way. While the shape and looks is simple, it does not feel very cheap. The diamond cut shape on the vsd3/5 seems a little...
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
I've always looked into "budget-fi" since I've got more interested in proper headphones thus making me get the CALs, Takstar Pro 80s and now the Somic MH463. I will be doing some direct comparisons...
I have been looking for a desktop amp/dac for a while now as I have not had one for the last few years (last desktop amp was a Naim headline 2 with NPSC power supply which was okay but nothing...
Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] - Page 34post #496 of 73011/28/12 at 2:27amI think I have a pretty large head... L1 feels fine.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #497 of 73011/28/12 at 3:38amhello,
I think i would like the treble and soundstaging of the momentum.
I wnder if the apple store sells the philips x1 and or the momentum? Would be nice to go o that store once more and compare.
Greetings, Anouk,post #498 of 73011/28/12 at 3:40amQuote:
Far from it: I did not say they don't go loud enough. But they need more power than other headphones I use to reach the same feeling of volume (in part due to the different sound signature I'd say).post #499 of 73011/28/12 at 3:40amps:
To me the ma does see mto have a bit of a warm/veil not not nearly as much as the hd650. On some tracks the midrange does seem a bit recessed but not to an extreme extend. This oes meanfor me htough that music sounds a bit distant as if you are not really there. I cant explain it. But it is not a big problem and ingeneral i enjoy everything through the philips, audio recordings as well as music. I guess i can adapt to different sund signatures after all as long as it is good as a whole.
Greetings, Anoukpost #500 of 73011/28/12 at 4:27amnot to rain on the macy's parade, but as far as philips goes, i just returned the x1("a preponderance of bass, perhaps,"(joel)). way too bass heavy. you must eq down bass every time you use the things, its a drag.... decent mids, nothing more to say really except that woman in the promo photos for the x1 looks great in these things, however seems as if philips "photoshopped" the images of her because the headband is quite grand shall we say, something akin to a viking helmet.....and the leather that everyone is so enamoured with has the consistency of one of those faux dog bones that zeke clenches immediately in his teeth, crawls under the bed, and you won't see him again for a week.post #501 of 73011/28/12 at 5:38amHello,
The bass is a bit more then what i am used to but for me that is no problem like it is with some grado and beyer cans i owned in the past (dt990), it does not overpower the mids for me and is there only when called for. The mids could be a bit more prominent/forward/open for my liking though.
I love the black background on these though everything really pops out and there is also no hiss whatsoever.
Greetings, Anouk,post #502 of 73011/28/12 at 5:52am
This might be good information for the X1 thread... thanks for posting it here...Quote:Originally Posted by raymag 75
not to rain on the macy's parade, but as far as philips goes, i just returned the x1("a preponderance of bass, perhaps,"(joel)). way too bass heavy. you must eq down bass every time you use the things, its a drag.... decent mids, nothing more to say really except that woman in the promo photos for the x1 looks great in these things, however seems as if philips "photoshopped" the images of her because the headband is quite grand shall we say, something akin to a viking helmet.....and the leather that everyone is so enamoured with has the consistency of one of those faux dog bones that zeke clenches immediately in his teeth, crawls under the bed, and you won't see him again for a week.post #503 of 73012/5/12 at 7:40pmI just receive my L1 (#16138)
What i'm surprise about is they are not easy to drive like i read a lot, they suck on my Samsung S2 (even Uptowns sound better), but they are the greatest headphones i had listen on my comp and on my MCM906
They need a good source to apreciate their wonderful musicality, or they can be really badpost #504 of 73012/6/12 at 3:12amHello,
Yes i would still love to listen to these with a good portable dac/amp. In the past i really liked the ibasso products but they are a bit large imho if you also want to take them with you with a phone.
Greetings, Anouk,post #505 of 73012/9/12 at 12:51amJust to say something i read nowhere, the L1 works with apple devices but with android ones too (at least with my Samsung S2). I read that we could only take a call with the remote, but we can stop the song and change the track double clicking on the middle button
It works even better with the app Poweramp (more comfy than the original, there is a full EQ and it find every song on the mobile, with faster access), just need a long presspost #506 of 73012/16/12 at 5:44ampost #507 of 73012/16/12 at 9:39amThread Starter
Funny you ask because I've been writing a comparison for the past days. Unfortunately, in German for another forum. :P
So here's the conclusion:
The Philips will be more fun for casual users, background music, office environment, uncomplicated reproduction of music with a lively presentation. L1 has a deeper soundstage.
The M50, although definitely a fun 'phone, is more serious with a much better balance. However, it's also more fatiguing. M50 has a wider soundstage.
Both have too much bass, but the M50 also has too much highs. Resolution is comparable, but I'm not 100% sure yet, so I haven't released my comparison review yet.
M50 let's you search details in the recording. L1 just gives you music.
They are very different.post #508 of 73012/16/12 at 9:09pm
I already have a L1 and agree with you about it, but i was hoping to buy a M50 because Im a newbie and everwhere I search, people recomends these phone.
Would you call them (L1) a entry level headphone for people who are willing to pay a little more ? Because for other some reviews i readed, many don't consider them a high end headphone.
(sorry if I said something very worong, as i said, im a newbie and certainly not and audiophilie, actually, very recently i starded to use my phones with high quality musics).post #509 of 73012/17/12 at 3:20amThread Starter
I think the M50 is the better entry-can if you want to get into HiFi. It has everything you need to figure out where you want to go next. Extended highs, deep bass, clean vocals, soundstage, etc.. It's all there, but nothing is extremely well done. But it's like the perfect homework to figure out what you like so the Audio-Technica definitely deserves a recommendation for entry audiophile headphone.
The L1 is going somewhere else. It has the pleasing presentation. It's uncomplicated and fun. Bad recordings will sound much better with the L1 than with the M50. It's an intelligent design for consumers. As far as easy-listening, easy to drive and portable fun headphones go, I think the L1 is still on the very top and I'd be surprised to see this change within the next year. For consumer iPhone users it currently is high-end. I think it sounds more cohesive and harmonic than the M50. Maybe too much so for some.post #510 of 73012/20/12 at 10:01pm
Hey guys I know this is the Fidelio thread but there aren't any Downtown threads that are really active, so maybe guys can help me with this.
I've got some issues with my Downtowns, and I'm just wondering if it's just how the headphone is, or if I got a bad pair.
First of all, the bass is really low. Granted, my main earphones are Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, which have a lot of bass, but still... It's clear and all, but so much in the background it's hard to hear sometimes. To me these seem very mid/high centric.
Secondly, when I put the volume up (I take the subway every day so I kind of have to), they sound TERRIBLE. The highs are so shrill it hurts my ears. These are great at low volumes but at higher volumes they just fall apart.
Is this normal? Or should I exchange them for another pair?
These are also my first pair ever of on ears (my other headphones are the Sony MDR-7506 and the Meelectronics M6 and A151), so perhaps this is just common to on-ears, I have no clue.
Thanks a lot and have a nice day!
- Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 25 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 27 seconds ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 1 minute ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 1 minute ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 2 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2