Agree. I do not find these fatiguing at all.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Shure srh840 vs Denon D2000...which one should i get? Last post on 6/27/12 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans? Last post on 6/24/12 at 6:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] - Page 24post #346 of 7444/22/12 at 7:44am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #347 of 7444/22/12 at 8:10ampost #348 of 7444/22/12 at 8:00pmpost #349 of 7444/24/12 at 1:32pmpost #350 of 7444/26/12 at 9:40amQuote:
I should be able to make a comparison in the next few days. I already have the Z1000, and the L1 should arrive soon.post #351 of 7444/26/12 at 1:11pmpost #352 of 7444/27/12 at 10:38am
Got the L1 today. I really don't have the time to do a detailed comparison, but here are some initial impressions:
First, both the Z1000 and the L1 are flawed, just in different ways. Well, some compromises have to be made...
For reference, I have used both headphones on the following system: Squeezebox Touch (FLAC files) -> StageDAC -> Concerto. I have roughly SPL matched them with my cheap SPL meter, but I can't guarantee that they were matched perfectly equal. My reference headphones are the Sennheiser HD600 (driven by a Decware CSP2+) and a modded Fostex T50RP.
The L1 can be described in one word, stylish. This not only applies to the exterior, but also to the sound. It has a clear emphasis on bass, though I'd say this is done rather well. Personally I do like a slight bass thump, as long as it sounds natural and doesn't drown out other frequencies. Mids are done very well, if perhaps a bit dark sounding. Treble is slightly recessed and very smooth. Soundstage is okay for an open (semi-closed?) headphone.
Now the the L1 has one major flaw, its sound is either hit or miss. There is just not much consistence in its sound, I'd say. In some cases, the added bass is just what it takes to make a song sound wonderfully involving or makes you to tap your feet. In other cases, especially when the song has already been mastered with pronounced bass, the entire thing can turn into a muddy mess where the bass drowns out the mids.
Some thoughts on build quality and wearing comfort: The L1 is built very, very well, and the earpads are wonderfully soft. Feels like a soft cushion on your head. The headband could have used more padding though - this is especially noticeable as the phones are quite heavy.
I can't help myself to notice some serious design flaws on the L1. First, the earpads are fixed onto the headphones and cannot be removed (i.e. they cannot be exchanged when worn out). Second, the part of the headband that extends from the outer covering, has sharp edges. Where the headband meets the earcups, this leads to a problem - both the upper part of the earcups and the cloth-covered cable touch the edges when you swivel or otherwise move the earcups. There's a rubberized damping part on the earcups where it can touch the headband - there are already scratches on my pair. All this makes me question the durability of the L1, which is a shame considering how well constructed it is otherwise...
Now, the Z1000: When I first listened to the Sony, I was immediately impressed by the smooth and effortless sound. However, over time I began to hear its flaws - in this case, my main issue with the sounds is in the mids. While the overall sound of the Z1000 is quite balanced without exaggerated bass or treble, the mids just sound a little "wrong" to me, somewhat metallic (or plasticky, pick your poison) and not very natural. Especially vocals are affected by this. It's not bad enough to dislike the Z1000, but when compared to the L1, the Sony doesn't hold up. Still, it has a certain quality that I can only describe as smooth, which can make it a pleasure to listen to from time to time. Its soundstage is small - there's a certain width, but almost no depth.
Wearing comfort could be an issue for some people here. I have rather small ears, so the Z1000 just about fits without touching them. People with a large head and/or large ears will have some trouble though.
Build quality on the Z1000 is excellent, they feel very durable.
That's about it for the moment. As mentioned before, both the Sony and the Philips are flawed, just differently. I guess I won't keep either one.
I didn't even bother to do extended comparisons between these and the HD600 or the T50RP. Not even close. I have to mention that under ideal conditions, the L1 managed to sound almost like the HD600 - which is a very remarkable feat in my opinion. But then again it often disappoints with a muddy and flabby presentation. The Z1000 has a more consistent sound, but the mids just don't match my requirements.
I guess I'll just have to get a portable amp and use the T50RP as a mobile headphone...
Edited by Mad Dude - 4/27/12 at 10:39ampost #353 of 7444/27/12 at 6:01pmpost #354 of 7445/1/12 at 9:59pmThread Starterpost #355 of 7445/2/12 at 12:18pmpost #356 of 7445/2/12 at 2:11pmpost #357 of 7445/8/12 at 7:19ampost #358 of 7445/16/12 at 6:17pmpost #359 of 7445/17/12 at 8:11pm
- Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 53 seconds ago
- › Rational reasons to love vinyl 1 minute ago
- › Please recommend best computer 2.1 setup (w/ my very specific desires) 2 minutes ago
- › FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO!... 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Launch competition – guess the upcoming new product! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Jaybird Bluebuds X still the best bluetooth earphones? Who has the... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 4 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 5 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000-D7000 or similar sounding 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by ezekiel77
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2