Agree. I do not find these fatiguing at all.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 1/12/15 at 4:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Shure srh840 vs Denon D2000...which one should i get? Last post on 6/27/12 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans? Last post on 6/24/12 at 6:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
Bluedio Victory Bluetooth and Optical Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] - Page 24post #346 of 7494/22/12 at 7:44am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #347 of 7494/22/12 at 8:10ampost #348 of 7494/22/12 at 8:00pmpost #349 of 7494/24/12 at 1:32pmpost #350 of 7494/26/12 at 9:40amQuote:
I should be able to make a comparison in the next few days. I already have the Z1000, and the L1 should arrive soon.post #351 of 7494/26/12 at 1:11pmpost #352 of 7494/27/12 at 10:38am
Got the L1 today. I really don't have the time to do a detailed comparison, but here are some initial impressions:
First, both the Z1000 and the L1 are flawed, just in different ways. Well, some compromises have to be made...
For reference, I have used both headphones on the following system: Squeezebox Touch (FLAC files) -> StageDAC -> Concerto. I have roughly SPL matched them with my cheap SPL meter, but I can't guarantee that they were matched perfectly equal. My reference headphones are the Sennheiser HD600 (driven by a Decware CSP2+) and a modded Fostex T50RP.
The L1 can be described in one word, stylish. This not only applies to the exterior, but also to the sound. It has a clear emphasis on bass, though I'd say this is done rather well. Personally I do like a slight bass thump, as long as it sounds natural and doesn't drown out other frequencies. Mids are done very well, if perhaps a bit dark sounding. Treble is slightly recessed and very smooth. Soundstage is okay for an open (semi-closed?) headphone.
Now the the L1 has one major flaw, its sound is either hit or miss. There is just not much consistence in its sound, I'd say. In some cases, the added bass is just what it takes to make a song sound wonderfully involving or makes you to tap your feet. In other cases, especially when the song has already been mastered with pronounced bass, the entire thing can turn into a muddy mess where the bass drowns out the mids.
Some thoughts on build quality and wearing comfort: The L1 is built very, very well, and the earpads are wonderfully soft. Feels like a soft cushion on your head. The headband could have used more padding though - this is especially noticeable as the phones are quite heavy.
I can't help myself to notice some serious design flaws on the L1. First, the earpads are fixed onto the headphones and cannot be removed (i.e. they cannot be exchanged when worn out). Second, the part of the headband that extends from the outer covering, has sharp edges. Where the headband meets the earcups, this leads to a problem - both the upper part of the earcups and the cloth-covered cable touch the edges when you swivel or otherwise move the earcups. There's a rubberized damping part on the earcups where it can touch the headband - there are already scratches on my pair. All this makes me question the durability of the L1, which is a shame considering how well constructed it is otherwise...
Now, the Z1000: When I first listened to the Sony, I was immediately impressed by the smooth and effortless sound. However, over time I began to hear its flaws - in this case, my main issue with the sounds is in the mids. While the overall sound of the Z1000 is quite balanced without exaggerated bass or treble, the mids just sound a little "wrong" to me, somewhat metallic (or plasticky, pick your poison) and not very natural. Especially vocals are affected by this. It's not bad enough to dislike the Z1000, but when compared to the L1, the Sony doesn't hold up. Still, it has a certain quality that I can only describe as smooth, which can make it a pleasure to listen to from time to time. Its soundstage is small - there's a certain width, but almost no depth.
Wearing comfort could be an issue for some people here. I have rather small ears, so the Z1000 just about fits without touching them. People with a large head and/or large ears will have some trouble though.
Build quality on the Z1000 is excellent, they feel very durable.
That's about it for the moment. As mentioned before, both the Sony and the Philips are flawed, just differently. I guess I won't keep either one.
I didn't even bother to do extended comparisons between these and the HD600 or the T50RP. Not even close. I have to mention that under ideal conditions, the L1 managed to sound almost like the HD600 - which is a very remarkable feat in my opinion. But then again it often disappoints with a muddy and flabby presentation. The Z1000 has a more consistent sound, but the mids just don't match my requirements.
I guess I'll just have to get a portable amp and use the T50RP as a mobile headphone...
Edited by Mad Dude - 4/27/12 at 10:39ampost #353 of 7494/27/12 at 6:01pmpost #354 of 7495/1/12 at 9:59pmThread Starterpost #355 of 7495/2/12 at 12:18pmpost #356 of 7495/2/12 at 2:11pmpost #357 of 7495/8/12 at 7:19ampost #358 of 7495/16/12 at 6:17pmpost #359 of 7495/17/12 at 8:11pm
- Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 43 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 46 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 47 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 53 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 vs B&O Beoplay H6 2nd Gen vs NAD VISO HP50 1 minute ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › The 3 heavy weights and other audio myths... Abyss VS Utopia VS... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear