has anyone heard the M1s yet?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 4/29/13 at 3:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 vs. Shure srh840 vs Denon D2000...which one should i get? Last post on 6/27/12 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-m50s? Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans? Last post on 6/24/12 at 6:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] - Page 11post #151 of 6892/23/12 at 5:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 6892/23/12 at 6:52am
I appreciate that Stealthy Ninja, I thought it was aimed at me because you started off by quoting me, no worries. I agree that the pair of L1s I received seem to have something weird going on so I am exchanging them and hopefully the new pair of L1s will not have this bass hump. I have to send this pair back and then wait for the new pair so it will be next friday before I will know.
zzffnn, they are just a little cooler than my closed headphones.post #153 of 6892/23/12 at 7:38ampost #154 of 6892/23/12 at 8:54am
Any new reviews of these headphones are out yet? I'm getting ready to purchase my first $200-300 pair of headphones and these look really nice. I'm moving up from the Klipsch S4 which I love but would like to get a full size headphone for night listening while reading at home. No outside or travel use for me so I'm not worried about the leakage of sound.
Lospost #155 of 6892/23/12 at 10:53am
Thanks a lot for your help, Geared4me.
So L1s are a little cooler than HDJ-200. I guess they may still be too warm for wearing in hot summer days?
I am hoping for Grado kind of weightlessness and coolness (although I do not like the Grado sound)...............maybe I am asking for too much from circumaural headphones. Sometimes I do not feel like using IEMs but circumaural headphones make me sweat (Houston gets really hot in summer).
Quote:post #156 of 6892/25/12 at 7:16amI have the same question/concern. If someone can provide bass impression vs Denon D2000/5000 or DT990 it would greatly be appreciated.Quote:post #157 of 6892/25/12 at 8:08am
The pair I reviewed had a pronounced deep bass hump that didn't fit with other opinions of the L1s so I returned them and am awaiting a new pair to see if this was some kind of anomaly. When I get the new pair I will be able to compare them with my Pioneer HDJ-2000s, AKG Q701s, and Denon D5000s as I have them all on hand now. All of these phones have nice smooth bass with my gear and the 5000s have the deepest and strongest bass. I will have to let you know more next week when I get the new L1s.
Quote:Originally Posted by Twinster
I have the same question/concern. If someone can provide bass impression vs Denon D2000/5000 or DT990 it would greatly be appreciated.Quote:
Edited by Geared4me - 2/25/12 at 8:09ampost #158 of 6892/25/12 at 9:00am
Tyll's measurement pretty much shows more bass in L1 than D5000 for example. D5000 about ~6dB boost (peak), L1 up to about 10~11dB (peak) (about the amount I personally find suitable as I'm a basshead).
Here check the graphs, draw a green line for easier comparision of bass, check how high the lows elevate above the green drawn line for a better picture of the bass quantity.
So yea I'm not suprised you find them relatively bassheavy, maybe about twice as bassy as D5000 if disregarding the character which the graph doesn't tell anything about (punchy/fast? or slow/softer?) good thing for me, as I thought it would be lacking for my taste but I think it would be pretty suitable.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/25/12 at 9:24ampost #159 of 6892/25/12 at 9:25am
I'm super excited about these phones, though I'm trying to not let my lusting over the looks blind my search for the sound I want. I'm not entirely happy with my Denons, trying to find something that's a little more aggressive, with a little less offensive treble. I'll probably have to hear these myself to know for sure, but definitely eager to read more reviews. I'm debating between dropping $300 now on Apple, or waiting a few months to possibly get them for 50-100 less.
I am a little worried about the talk of more bass than Denons, I found the bass on the Denons a little overblown, but at the same time not authoritative enough. The complaints about it being too warm I'm not too sure what to think about, I haven't really been able to distinguish a difference between "warm" or "cold" mids in the few headphones I've tried so far. I'd almost be curious enough to get these just to experience what a warm sound from headphones was like.post #160 of 6892/25/12 at 10:18ampost #161 of 6892/25/12 at 3:06pm
For anyone interested, I have some brief impressions posted in my diary thread about the L1 (versus the Z1000):
I'll probably post some follow up impressions later, but my hands are a bit full at the moment with other audio gear.post #162 of 6892/25/12 at 5:15pmThank you MuppetFace for the helpful review!
Please kindly comment: comparing your LCD-2, AKG K701/501 and Sen HD598, do L1s heat up your ears less or more? Thanks.
Please let us know when you have more review about L1s.post #163 of 6892/26/12 at 5:08amAfter reviewing the graph I'm a bit worry that the bass is too dominant. MuppetFace thank you for your impressions.
I'm a little bit surprise that you did not call them bassy on your first impression. Based on what I read you seem to favor a balance signature so maybe Philips really found a way to integrate the bass without overpowering the mid/hi.Quote:Originally Posted by MuppetFace
For anyone interested, I have some brief impressions posted in my diary thread about the L1 (versus the Z1000):
I'll probably post some follow up impressions later, but my hands are a bit full at the moment with other audio gear.post #164 of 6892/26/12 at 6:11amThread Starter
Bass seems to be the largest concern about the L1. There seem to be different opinions about quantity. With every Fidelio L1, Philips has included this frequency chart:
There is no bass elevation whatsoever. However, this frequency response kinda matches that of Tyll, it just equated the warm tilt and did not substract ear anatomy:
The first graph we've seen about the L1 shows far less warmth (and is heavily corrected, removed 2-3kHz peak completely):
I can imagine bass quantity will be felt differently for many users. Not sure how much brain burn in and how much head size matters, but obviously there will differences in perception. (I have a thin head and pressure is very low, if that helps.) Comparing with the W4, there are just a few Classical records with which I could do with slightly less bass, yet I wouldn't want to miss even the slightest quantity and punch with almost all other Genres. But the Westone is also already on the warm side. (I actually find the W4 to be warmer but it feels more lightweight.)
Comparing with AH-D2000, the bass is much tighter and less boomy, so this also adds a lot to perception of quantity.
I also compared the L1 shortly with the HFI-580 this weekend and rapidly came to the conclusion that the Philips has less bass. I think this will largely depend on how easily your brain can adapt to a warm signature. Just a guess.
If anybody still has doubts, the Fidelio is not a natural can. It's lively. The Philips is not there to dissect a recording, it just tries to please. It cannot replace a K701!
If you are hoping for some better isolation and more control with Denon, the Philips might be for you.Quote:comparing your LCD-2, AKG K701/501 and Sen HD598, do L1s heat up your ears less or more?
They are all fully open, so I doubt the L1 heats up less - that is very unlikely. However, the L1 was released early January and it hasn't reached +10 °C outside since. It's hard to comment on how much it will heat the ears.post #165 of 6892/26/12 at 8:34am
Thanks Ultrazino for your comment.
Imho, in terms of cooling, K701/501 > HD598/595 > LCD-2, although all are "open back" on paper. LCD-2s warms up my ears (still aceptable) and almost feel like semi open in terms of cooling, they sound balanced to me though they require an amp and are not portable. K701/501 sound deficient in bass and also require an amp, otherwise they feel light and cool on head.
I was asking about L1's cooling because we have a warm winter/spring this year in Houston. In some days highs go to 27c, while in other days lows are at 10c.
- Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › WTB: Ibasso PB2 7 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review 11 seconds ago
- › are dacs easy to use? 38 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 3 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 3 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)