Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30! - Page 2  

post #16 of 15119

My only complaint with the M-80/V-80 is after a while they start to pinch on my ears. I wear Shuron Ronsir glasses (think Vince Lombardi's glasses), and the thick earpieces get stuck in the middle. Such is the price I pay for looking retro. beyersmile.png

 

From what I've heard, the V-100s are expected to cover the middle ground between the LP2 and the M80. Bassier than the M80, but closer in size to the LP2. I'd love to see what I'd call the M90. The M80 sound in the LP size.

post #17 of 15119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAudit View Post

My only complaint with the M-80/V-80 is after a while they start to pinch on my ears. I wear Shuron Ronsir glasses (think Vince Lombardi's glasses), and the thick earpieces get stuck in the middle. Such is the price I pay for looking retro. beyersmile.png

 

From what I've heard, the V-100s are expected to cover the middle ground between the LP2 and the M80. Bassier than the M80, but closer in size to the LP2. I'd love to see what I'd call the M90. The M80 sound in the LP size.


My only gripes with the M80 is the treble needs more life to it. Hopefully the M100 will address that issue. If they do I might just throw some of my dollars V-MODA's way and grab the M100. It's rather nice to see a fashion headphone company actually putting out a can that sounds good. The one thing I hope is they don't make it V shaped, the M80 mids are very nice to my ears.

 

post #18 of 15119

Yo fellow tribe members quick question in all your opinion's is the B&W C5 IEM worth the investment. I really didn't like their P5 headphone and wound up selling mine. I really don't want to be stung again.

post #19 of 15119

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Why did the old one get locked?


The mods will not discuss bannings and closures. For now it is probably best to treat that as a matter between kiteki and the mods to settle.

post #20 of 15119

I don't recall seeing the B&W IEM discussed. What about it interests you?

post #21 of 15119
Thread Starter 

Kiteki just gave a post in this thread a thumbs up.

 

The mystery continues.

post #22 of 15119
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Yo fellow tribe members quick question in all your opinion's is the B&W C5 IEM worth the investment. I really didn't like their P5 headphone and wound up selling mine. I really don't want to be stung again.



I hadn't even heard of their IEMs until now. Honestly, there's so much neat stuff out there, why risk it if you're unsure and can't afford to take a hit?

post #23 of 15119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

I don't recall seeing the B&W IEM discussed. What about it interests you?



B&W has always interested me because I've always loved their speakers. When the P5 first came out I was one of the fan boys who ran to the store bought one and paraded all over the mall with the box for all to see, I'm that much of a fan. Unfortunately the P5 was an utter failure to my ears and I wound up selling it a year later. I was hoping that maybe they accomplished something more deserving of the B&W name with this C5 IEM. My pipe dream is to one day own a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers mated to a Bryston or Mcintosh hifi system. I'll never be able to ever afford a system like that though but it's always nice to dream.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/22/12 at 3:05am
post #24 of 15119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post



I hadn't even heard of their IEMs until now. Honestly, there's so much neat stuff out there, why risk it if you're unsure and can't afford to take a hit?


They've been out for awhile but have gotten mixed reviews on head-fi though. Some people really like them and others really don't. The general sound has been described as on the warmer side and leaning toward a mainstream consumer friendly sound. People have said they do sound better then the P5 though so that's a plus I guess. As for the financial hit it wouldn't be to bad of a hit they're not super pricey and can be had usually for around 150 or less if you look around and wait for a sale. Right now I'm not really buying much I'm more making up my grocery list on what to get in another month or two and what to start with.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Kiteki just gave a post in this thread a thumbs up.

 

The mystery continues.


I'm really starting to wonder whats going on now. I didn't even know you could give a thumbs up when tagged by Head-fi. Oh well at least we know he's still around, hurry back kitki I've got a million more questions to pester you with.

 


Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/22/12 at 3:10am
post #25 of 15119

Today's planned activities:

 

1. Use a sacrificial pair of IEMs as matrixes, and try making some ear tips with Radians earplug mould and the DIY instructions on Make:

ObLLPn3fdPPkYaRB.medium

 

2. Some hopefully simple wire soldering: Fix a broken plug on my partner's phones and complete a couple other things.

 

3. Finalize the BOM for this winter's cabling projects and start ordering stuff. This time I'm going to experiment with finely-stranded silicone wire (do your cheaper IEMs have incredibly flexible cables with rubbery insulation? That's silicone wire), which ought to be kind of challenging to manage at the solder joints (all those fine strands). The intended result has more to do with ease of use for my purposes than with effects on audio quality. Although I might also get some silver teflon wire (so-called: It's silver-coated copper in teflon insulation) on the cheap to test my own skepticism regarding cable and sound quality.

 

One of the nice things about having a couple defunct pairs of UE universals lying around is that I've already got some donor cables as backup for everything else coming in. The basic plug and socket configuration is common for UE, JH, Heir, and a variety of other brands; the UE universals use a slightly different connector but that can be rectified quickly with a wirecutter and box knife. (The change is irreversable but the donors are not in a state to care any more.) So while there is a pair of full-size cans I'm rewiring because I find the existing cable of fine quality and poor ergonomics, all the cablemaking I'm doing for portable audio is primarily my own artsy-craftsy pursuit.


Edited by ardgedee - 1/22/12 at 3:27am
post #26 of 15119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Quote:


The mods will not discuss bannings and closures. For now it is probably best to treat that as a matter between kiteki and the mods to settle.



Ah, yes, of course. In that case I'll leave it between them. Still, very weird.. oh well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

I'm really starting to wonder whats going on now. I didn't even know you could give a thumbs up when tagged by Head-fi. Oh well at least we know he's still around, hurry back kitki I've got a million more questions to pester you with.

 



Agreed. 

 

kiteki kom snart tillbaka din lurk.

post #27 of 15119

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

B&W has always interested me because I've always loved their speakers. When the P5 first came out I was one of the fan boys who ran to the store bought one and paraded all over the mall with the box for all to see, I'm that much of a fan. Unfortunately the P5 was an utter failure to my ears and I wound up selling it a year later. I was hoping that maybe they accomplished something more deserving of the B&W name with this C5 IEM. My pipe dream is to one day own a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers mated to a Bryston or Mcintosh hifi system. I'll never be able to ever afford a system like that though but it's always nice to dream.

 

The B&W Zeppelin and similar desktop offerings are intended more to compete with Bang & Olufson in the high-style audio market, and the P5 struck me as their counterpart in the headphones world. It's an intentional cash-in on B&W's reputation for engineering but, while they're all reasonably sturdy and sound better than their direct competitors (iPod docks with speakers on the one hand, the Beats on the other), they don't have a lot to do with their studio and high-end products otherwise, and aren't intended to.

 

Lest this sound like a put-down, they do in fact sound better than their direct competitors. However their intended market is not necessarily us, and we will find faults where more casual listeners will not. I'm okay with B&W for that, as long as aiming towards the popular market does not dilute their offerings for the specialty market.

post #28 of 15119

............  Nicky got banned??

 

AGAIN??

 

T_T

post #29 of 15119
Ah so everyone's here! smily_headphones1.gif
post #30 of 15119

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

They've been out for awhile but have gotten mixed reviews on head-fi though. Some people really like them and others really don't. The general sound has been described as on the warmer side and leaning toward a mainstream consumer friendly sound. People have said they do sound better then the P5 though so that's a plus I guess. As for the financial hit it wouldn't be to bad of a hit they're not super pricey and can be had usually for around 150 or less if you look around and wait for a sale. Right now I'm not really buying much I'm more making up my grocery list on what to get in another month or two and what to start with.

 

If it's polarizing and you have limited resources, it's probably better to start with the safer consensus choices, unless your heart is really set on these in particular. "Mainstream sound" usually means a V-shaped frequency curve (or, to show off to you all the term I just coined, N-shaped curve, because of the steep dropoff below the mid-bass. har.)

 

On the other hand, if you are planning on building a collection of headphones/IEMs, it might end up being an interesting color in a palette of sounds the collection will eventually provide you. To be honest, that mainstream sound is sometimes just what's called for when you want to bang your head and rock the flippy heck out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!