I'm looking into purchasing a $200-$300ish DAC/Amp combination to use with my iPhone 4S, which to me sounds decent but not too amazing as is. Has anyone had any success with anything in that price range? For the records, I've been using Westone ES3X custom IEMs for listening. The more portable, the better as well!
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 8/28/12
- productApple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Blacktagged by System, 8/28/12
- productCypher Labs Algorhythm Solotagged by System, 8/28/12
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 8/28/12
- productNuForce Icon iDo Black Audiophile-Grade DAC and Headphone Amp for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touchtagged by System, 8/28/12
- productSonoma Wire Works GuitarJack High Quality iOS interface w/ Instrument and Stereo Mic/Line Inputs and Output For iPod, iPhone or iPadtagged by System, 8/28/12
- productVentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0tagged by System, 8/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- transferring high quality audio files into iPhone Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:43pm in Computer Audio
- How to get lossless songs and is an ipod touch considered an audiophile mp3 player? Last post on 9/23/12 at 9:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Iphone 5 vs 4S Which Should I Get? Last post on 9/23/12 at 8:40pm in Portable Source Gear
- Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G? Last post on 12/20/12 at 8:29pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
I noticed so much praise around here that my expectations were quite high and I gotta say: I was not disappointed at all. There's little new we can say about such a famous/infamous IEM. I bought a...
DAC/Amp Combinations that work well with iPhone 4S?post #1 of 111/21/12 at 11:26amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 111/21/12 at 12:22pm
The only two portable DACs for the iPod are the Algorhythm Solo and the Fostex HP-P1 (which has an amp built in as well), which are above well above your budget. There are currently no other portable alternatives, only desktop ones.post #3 of 113/10/12 at 12:40am
I have a 4S, E11, and L9. They do work well together, but the problem is the amp/band always gets in the way. Maybe it's because i'm constantly texting or using my phone, but it's annoying to have it connected when I'm out and about. It doesn't seem worth the hassle for me.
Oh, the E11 is only an Amp, not a DAC. Sorry. :\post #4 of 113/10/12 at 1:48amQuote:
Well there is the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 which is a DAC/Amp for the iPhone 4/4S that's highly portable (and integrated) but is also above his budget.
But otherwise, yes...for $200-$300 budget there's no current DAC/Amp for the iPhone 4S.post #5 of 113/12/12 at 2:46pmpost #6 of 114/23/12 at 8:34ampost #7 of 118/17/12 at 11:51ampost #8 of 118/17/12 at 9:53pmThe Sonoma Wireworks GuitarJack model 2 is a $150 pocket audio interface with ADC and DAC built in. The headphone monitoring output is excellent for the size and price. I use one with my iPhone 4 and FS Atrios. SQ is comparable (considering it has its own hp amp built in) to an iMod 4g. Designed mainly for guitarists/vocalists who need to record on the go. Add cables and adapters to get around connectivity and power issues (a major drawback of the simplistic dongle design).
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10681post #9 of 118/18/12 at 4:32ampost #10 of 118/19/12 at 6:44pmIt may interfere with the pairing of dock-connected interfaces designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I have been experimenting with it to connect an iBasso D1 to my iPhone 4 and once the iPhone thinks it's an iPad it stops talking to my GuitarJack 2. BTW no joy with the D1 - it may require the hub trick to pair. So far I can either have the CameraConnector tweak installed or use the GuitarJack - but not both at the same time. Not a big deal if you use a Cydia app to make installing/uninstalling packages quick and easy.post #11 of 118/19/12 at 7:07pm
if to extend a budget a bit more to get an Open box Godap from Musica.
- DAC/Amp Combinations that work well with iPhone 4S?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 1 minute ago
- › The Video Game Music Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob