I was wondering if anyone has been there i have a cupple of questions to ask!
thanks and appreciate your time
I think you need to be more specific on what you are going to buy since the price can vary a lot depending on where you are purchasing it from.
Im from Bangkok. Most of the stuff here is extremely cheap compared to the US and Canada. For example, a bottle of water only cost about 10 baht or around 25 cents here!!
The cigarettes here cost about 60 baht to over 1000 (2$-30$) per catridge and around 60 baht to 6000 baht (2$ to 200$). The expensive brand name beers imported from other countries sold in bars are u0sually extremely expensive and I have even seen a bottle that cost around 300$. As I said before, the price varies a lot since I don't know if you want to go to a normal bar on a random street or a high end bar in sukhumvit.
For food, the price varies between 50 baht (street vendors) to 150 baht per dish however, some high end chinese restaurant can cost you up to 10000 baht per meal. A bag of chips cost will cost you around 20 baht or 75 cents. Most snacks here are super cheap since the government likes to keep the price down for some weird reason.
The price of TVs and computer is also cheap however, it varies greatly between 6000 - 120000 baht for some top-of-the-line products. (200- 4000).
Good luck and have fun!
Get a "lonely planet" or any half decent travel guide, otherwise electronics are a little more expensive than the prices in the US from what I can remember, but still very reasonable compared to some European countries, don't forget to check is your country has import duties.
Just returned after about a month in the country so I'll take a stab at a few of these. All prices below are in Thai Baht with 1 USD worth about 31 THB
- Not sure what you mean by curry, but if you're thinking a plate of rice and stuff to eat with the rice, will cost you 20B-35B from a street stall. Will obviously cost more from more upmarket places but whether the food is better is arguable (I prefer street stalls)
- Beer is probably less than 50B from 7-11. You can also grab your chips and smokes there. Not sure of prices as I dont consume any of this stuff.
- Re short cab fare, for the few times I used taxi in Bangkok it never cost me more than 60B (for reference, an example taxi ride that'd cost less than 60B is one I took was from Hua Lamphong train station to MBK shopping centre). Always use the meter and avoid all the dishonest drivers (which is lots of them but it shouldnt be too hard to find an honest driver as it appears every 2nd car on the road is a taxi). As an alternative just take the metro, skytrain, ferry or local bus. They're all cheaper and may get you to your destination quicker.
- For a white t-shirt I guess less than 100B
- I wouldnt buy electronics from the places I saw in Bangkok. Can get them much cheaper elsewhere.
I suppose it depends on what you enjoy doing but I say skip those places and head north. The northern provinces such as Mae Hong Son are beautiful. Plus you will even struggle to find a tout... anywhere!