Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Time for customs! ES5 vs. JH13 vs. Miracle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time for customs! ES5 vs. JH13 vs. Miracle

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

I've decided to go customs this year, coming from a pair of Shure SE535's I've owned for a couple of months and am very satisfied with. I would like to get ALOT of input on the three I put in the title as I would start crying making the wrong decision.

 

I like the sound signature of the SE535, but at the same time I feel alot of stuff is missing in the sound. Bass isn't good enough for bass heavy tracks (like dubstep), mids can sometime be too overpowering, which makes the more important elements in my music almost dissapear.

 

Anyway, I kinda do realise that nomatter what customs you chose, you will hear the music as the music is supposed to be heard, if bassheavy track, you will get the bass and so on. I listen to trance and dubstep.

 

Please come with your inputs guys!

post #2 of 29
I own the miracle and its very soft and very wide in my opinion. I handles most tracks very well especially sludge/nurot metal

I find that paired with a good silver cable like the Twag V2 it sound even cleaner. I love them to death, the detail is almost on par with the etymotic er-4s but not quite. however it makes up for that in its soundstage and strong but not overpowering bass. If your a basshead id get either the JH16 or the Merlin

Miracle rating:

Warm/Sweet

Detail: 92/100
Soundstage: 95/100
Seperation: 90/100
Bass: 75/100 (great for anyone not a basshead)
Tweet: 89/100
Craft/build: 98/100

I know the ES5 sounds great too but also not for a basshead

If you want something thats like the 535 with more detail and more bass ill sell you my Zeus, which is a 10 driver custom with 4 woofers, 4 tweeters and 2 mids. ITs like the 535 on super crack.

otherwise I reccomend the miracle, someone is selling one in the buy/sell forum for 625 i think
Edited by Evilcalyptic - 1/19/12 at 11:32am
post #3 of 29
Double Post delete
Edited by Evilcalyptic - 1/19/12 at 11:21am
post #4 of 29
Double post, delete me
Edited by Evilcalyptic - 1/19/12 at 11:21am
post #5 of 29

The ES5 have extremly good mids and very good bass to but not enhanched bass like JH 16 and Merlin. It should have about the same as the Miracle and a little more than the JH13 but I haven´t heard those so I´am not 100% sure.

post #6 of 29

I used to listen to the Shure 530s before I got into JH products.  I haven't heard the Miracle or the ES5 but I have to say the JH13's mids are just as good, if not better than the SE530s (I've heard the SE535s are very very similar).  The bass is nice and tight, but not a ton in quantity.  It is fairly neutral and very detailed.  I found the SE530s much warmer than the JH13s.  I've been hearing the Miracle has great bass if you're not a basshead and actually I've been wanting to get a pair myself to try.

 

If you're not looking for lots of bass, JH13 or Miracle would be good, if you are, JH16 or the Merlin.  Unfortunately I don't have any information on the ES5, having never heard it or read anything about it. 


Edited by Michiyo-Fir - 1/19/12 at 5:25pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMySelf View Post

 

I like the sound signature of the SE535, but at the same time I feel alot of stuff is missing in the sound. Bass isn't good enough for bass heavy tracks (like dubstep)

 

I listen to trance and dubstep.

 


Consider the Unique Melody Merlins. The mids don't sound recessed at all imho and the bass is perfect for those genres. Yes it is "bassy" but it not so so bassy that it overwhelms the rest of the spectrum because it definitely doesn't. 

 

post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckc View Post


Consider the Unique Melody Merlins. The mids don't sound recessed at all imho and the bass is perfect for those genres. Yes it is "bassy" but it not so so bassy that it overwhelms the rest of the spectrum because it definitely doesn't. 

 



In fact I find the Merlin to be mid centric with big, dynamic bass.

post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMySelf View Post

I've decided to go customs this year, coming from a pair of Shure SE535's I've owned for a couple of months and am very satisfied with. I would like to get ALOT of input on the three I put in the title as I would start crying making the wrong decision.

 

I like the sound signature of the SE535, but at the same time I feel alot of stuff is missing in the sound. Bass isn't good enough for bass heavy tracks (like dubstep), mids can sometime be too overpowering, which makes the more important elements in my music almost dissapear.

 

Anyway, I kinda do realise that nomatter what customs you chose, you will hear the music as the music is supposed to be heard, if bassheavy track, you will get the bass and so on. I listen to trance and dubstep.

 

Please come with your inputs guys!

The ES5's are like a dynamically enhanced SE530/535. They both share that midrange forward sound, but the ES5's still has ample bass and extension along with a smooth and crisp treble that seems to always have the right amount of sparkle to not give of a dull performance.
 

 

post #10 of 29

Is it true the JH16 has this issue of sounding a little too artificial? ie to say, no cohesion with all the instruments for classical music maybe? I really like to hear details and clarity of the vocals but good punchy bass is what I'm also looking for so any idea which of the above will you guys recommend?

 

Thank you.

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter View Post

Is it true the JH16 has this issue of sounding a little too artificial? ie to say, no cohesion with all the instruments for classical music maybe? I really like to hear details and clarity of the vocals but good punchy bass is what I'm also looking for so any idea which of the above will you guys recommend?

 

Thank you.

The Westone ES5, Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors and Unique Melody Miracle would be great choices for what you're looking for.
 

 

post #12 of 29

The Earsonics EM4 is a great step up from the SE535 IMO.  I will have a review done next week.

post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 

I think my main concern is to chose the wrong one, I would probably be happy with either one of them but still. It's leaning towards the UM Miracle or ES5 for sure, tho I have looked at some of the less known companies such as 1964 and Hier Audio. Anyone with experience with their products, such as the 1964-Q and Hier 6A?

post #14 of 29

If you think that mids are overpowering, I would definitely shy away from the ES5, which is known to be midcentric and lush.


I'm pretty sure that the JH13/16 would be better if you want bass quantity. If you are only interested in quality however, all of the IEMs will do fine.


If you're looking for a balanced sound, I'd say Miracle, if you're looking for bass heavy, go for JH16.

post #15 of 29

IMO, the miracle has a very uncoloured mid section. Bass is wonderful, extremely satisfying in quantity (Unless you are a basshead) and amazing in quality. According to a trusted fellow audiophile, the es5's mids are coloured but i guess that's what makes it magical. Anyway, jh13 has more of an aggressive sound signature with punchy bass. Was a long time since i heard either the es5 or the jh13, comparing by memory so take my comments with a pinch of salt.


Edited by Cryok95 - 1/22/12 at 5:24am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Time for customs! ES5 vs. JH13 vs. Miracle