If you want a compliment to the M50X that's bassier than the HFI-580 and still sounds pretty open, you might want to try an M-Audio Q40.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $100- $150 Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to ATH-M50? Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Sennheiser’s style range On...
I bought the headphones on 26 / january / 2015 this first thing that made me happy was the excellent comfort of the headphones and the ability to stay on my head even if was leaning my head these...
XBA-A2 The title says "Japanese import" and I had to an add and search just to do a review. I went on a mission...
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King - Page 48
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm not really looking for a complement. If I was to get another pair I'd return the m50s.
ATH-m50x - Like and might be keeping. AMAZING separation. This is what I feel like high end headphones should sound like. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's separation or soundstage, but what I mean is that I can hear everything distinctly, there's a very nice reverb on drums, and even though the bass is a little light, it's prominent because it's so distinct. They leak a little noise, however, and when at a volume I like, the highs are a little piercing.
And you didn't hear smeary treble on ATH-M50 due to reverbation of closed design? I think ATH-M50 were the only closed headphones where I have actually noticed that particular issue, but maybe it's subjective feeling, because I have auditioned ATH-M50 and RH-A30 comparing one with other.
Edited by koolas - 6/28/14 at 1:42am
I think the Beyers wouldn't be the best choice if he already likes the way the M50X sounds, but I didn't think about the PRO700MK2. That might be a pretty good option.
I think from now on I'll be directing "What should I buy?" discussions to this forum so that activity here will slow. The original post is over two years old, and if it keeps showing up on the front page people tend to read the first post without understanding how old it is and they assume that I still hold all the opinions I held in 2012 and that my predictions are for the future, not the present. I'm getting a little tired of reiterating that point every few weeks.
If this turns into a full-time recommendations thread, I may have the thread locked. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice, but there's another place for that.
I think the problem is the subject matter of this thread, as it encourages discussion about how you can spend ATH-M50 money in a better way. Thread might be old, ATH-M50 might be old as well, but it is still very popular choice among people who want to buy affordable high quality headphones. People consider buying ATH-M50, and first question they ask is what else can I buy for that money, and that leads them directly to this thread. And I think it's quite good. Every year there is new headphones coming out, and there is more alternatives to ATH-M50. I think thread should be kept alive
I don't mean to say that the thread should die outright, but from now on I'll be directing recommendations to the appropriate forum. If we can continue to foster discussion about the M50 and about other, more current kings in various price brackets, this thread will still have a productive purpose.
- A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 56 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › LTS Fidelio L1 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Leckerton UHA-6S MKII 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2