If you want a compliment to the M50X that's bassier than the HFI-580 and still sounds pretty open, you might want to try an M-Audio Q40.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $100- $150 Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to ATH-M50? Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything better then the mth- M50s or equally as good for less money? Last post on 9/27/12 at 1:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King - Page 48
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm not really looking for a complement. If I was to get another pair I'd return the m50s.
ATH-m50x - Like and might be keeping. AMAZING separation. This is what I feel like high end headphones should sound like. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's separation or soundstage, but what I mean is that I can hear everything distinctly, there's a very nice reverb on drums, and even though the bass is a little light, it's prominent because it's so distinct. They leak a little noise, however, and when at a volume I like, the highs are a little piercing.
And you didn't hear smeary treble on ATH-M50 due to reverbation of closed design? I think ATH-M50 were the only closed headphones where I have actually noticed that particular issue, but maybe it's subjective feeling, because I have auditioned ATH-M50 and RH-A30 comparing one with other.
Edited by koolas - 6/28/14 at 1:42am
I think the Beyers wouldn't be the best choice if he already likes the way the M50X sounds, but I didn't think about the PRO700MK2. That might be a pretty good option.
I think from now on I'll be directing "What should I buy?" discussions to this forum so that activity here will slow. The original post is over two years old, and if it keeps showing up on the front page people tend to read the first post without understanding how old it is and they assume that I still hold all the opinions I held in 2012 and that my predictions are for the future, not the present. I'm getting a little tired of reiterating that point every few weeks.
If this turns into a full-time recommendations thread, I may have the thread locked. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice, but there's another place for that.
I think the problem is the subject matter of this thread, as it encourages discussion about how you can spend ATH-M50 money in a better way. Thread might be old, ATH-M50 might be old as well, but it is still very popular choice among people who want to buy affordable high quality headphones. People consider buying ATH-M50, and first question they ask is what else can I buy for that money, and that leads them directly to this thread. And I think it's quite good. Every year there is new headphones coming out, and there is more alternatives to ATH-M50. I think thread should be kept alive
I don't mean to say that the thread should die outright, but from now on I'll be directing recommendations to the appropriate forum. If we can continue to foster discussion about the M50 and about other, more current kings in various price brackets, this thread will still have a productive purpose.
- A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 1 second ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sell AKG K612 Pro and get a Fidelio X1? 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › RHA MA-750i Review 3 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 4 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)