If you want a compliment to the M50X that's bassier than the HFI-580 and still sounds pretty open, you might want to try an M-Audio Q40.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $100- $150 Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to ATH-M50? Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything better then the mth- M50s or equally as good for less money? Last post on 9/27/12 at 1:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in Media Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAs -> Project Ember...
Here are my impressions of the Fiio X1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj0wLE-ojU
A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King - Page 48
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm not really looking for a complement. If I was to get another pair I'd return the m50s.
ATH-m50x - Like and might be keeping. AMAZING separation. This is what I feel like high end headphones should sound like. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's separation or soundstage, but what I mean is that I can hear everything distinctly, there's a very nice reverb on drums, and even though the bass is a little light, it's prominent because it's so distinct. They leak a little noise, however, and when at a volume I like, the highs are a little piercing.
And you didn't hear smeary treble on ATH-M50 due to reverbation of closed design? I think ATH-M50 were the only closed headphones where I have actually noticed that particular issue, but maybe it's subjective feeling, because I have auditioned ATH-M50 and RH-A30 comparing one with other.
Edited by koolas - 6/28/14 at 1:42am
I think the Beyers wouldn't be the best choice if he already likes the way the M50X sounds, but I didn't think about the PRO700MK2. That might be a pretty good option.
I think from now on I'll be directing "What should I buy?" discussions to this forum so that activity here will slow. The original post is over two years old, and if it keeps showing up on the front page people tend to read the first post without understanding how old it is and they assume that I still hold all the opinions I held in 2012 and that my predictions are for the future, not the present. I'm getting a little tired of reiterating that point every few weeks.
If this turns into a full-time recommendations thread, I may have the thread locked. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice, but there's another place for that.
I think the problem is the subject matter of this thread, as it encourages discussion about how you can spend ATH-M50 money in a better way. Thread might be old, ATH-M50 might be old as well, but it is still very popular choice among people who want to buy affordable high quality headphones. People consider buying ATH-M50, and first question they ask is what else can I buy for that money, and that leads them directly to this thread. And I think it's quite good. Every year there is new headphones coming out, and there is more alternatives to ATH-M50. I think thread should be kept alive
I don't mean to say that the thread should die outright, but from now on I'll be directing recommendations to the appropriate forum. If we can continue to foster discussion about the M50 and about other, more current kings in various price brackets, this thread will still have a productive purpose.
- A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Thrift Store AKG K240's just now
- › Cheap kitchen Appliances 4 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 seconds ago
- › VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - ALTO + FORZA - Crowdsourcing,... 1 minute ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › X1 beta firmware 1.03beta--now with playlist support 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Help can't stop buying gear.... 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › Shure SE215 by SawItComing
- › Indonesia gold mine for social networking
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3