Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King - Page 46

post #676 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted klown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

You must like a really dark sound signature if you consider the HD598 overly bright. It's quite a warm headphone to my ears.

 

I do like a rather dark tone. I like to listen at very high volume levels, and when I am pushing things hard, the highs can become too much to bear with some recordings, especially modern ones with hot/compressed mastering jobs.

It's odd, and (to be honest) I think that I might just have a weird hyper sensativity to higher frequencies, as I find some stuff (speakers, recordings, headphones, etc) to be bright that no one else does, and I can't even hear much above about 13-14k hz.

It just proves that we really all do hear things differently I suppose.

Same here. I noticed this when demoing the 598s. 

post #677 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post

Same here. I noticed this when demoing the 598s. 

 

I actually demo'd the 598s a few times before making the purchase. The demos were all done on the same pair (at a local store) using my ipod as the source. The first time I heard them, I thought they were a bit bright, but I liked the overall sound, same thing for the second time I auditioned them. Then, on the third time I tried them, I couldn't get them off my head fast enough. However, I auditioned several 'phones that day and thought several of them were way too bright. I chalked it up to a head cold coming on or something...who knows.

Anyway, a while later, I found a deal that I thought was too good to pass up and bought them. After living with them, I still believe they are a bit bright (especially at higher volume levels) but not to the point I do not enjoy listening to them. However, when using them, I generally play genres these are well suited to, and at a lower volume level.
post #678 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted klown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Same here. I noticed this when demoing the 598s. 

 

I actually demo'd the 598s a few times before making the purchase. The demos were all done on the same pair (at a local store) using my ipod as the source. The first time I heard them, I thought they were a bit bright, but I liked the overall sound, same thing for the second time I auditioned them. Then, on the third time I tried them, I couldn't get them off my head fast enough. However, I auditioned several 'phones that day and thought several of them were way too bright. I chalked it up to a head cold coming on or something...who knows.

Anyway, a while later, I found a deal that I thought was too good to pass up and bought them. After living with them, I still believe they are a bit bright (especially at higher volume levels) but not to the point I do not enjoy listening to them. However, when using them, I generally play genres these are well suited to, and at a lower volume level.

I was actually kind of glad I got the 558's since they are slightly different. Not fatiguing at all. I hope to get Q701's as an upgrade for some genres and keeping my 558's for the harsh tracks or when I want to simply relax. 

post #679 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted klown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiioforMeOh View Post

 

LOL'd

That's too funny man. I agree with you that the M50 is too sibilant, at least for my tatse. With all of the accliam they receive on here, I was rather shocked when I went to audition them. I couldn't take the highs on them at all.

For the record, I do not like bright headphones/prefer a darker sound signature. Yes, I own the HD-598, as well as Grado SR80i (neither of which are what I would consider dark) and enjoy them both, but they are at the upper limit of my tolerence for brightness. Truth be told, I wish they were both a bit darker, and had deeper & more impactful bass.

All of this is IMO and YMMV. smily_headphones1.gif


Phillips fidelio x1 is what you should get for me it's got what makes grado great that warm detailed sound but deeper tighter unbelievable bass better amazing soundstage rolled off non bright treble whilst retaining all the detail no sibilance no harsh highs smooth as silk.Even though open are about half as noisy as grado they are more semi open noise leakage levels I'd say.Only owned the sr60i not the 8's but I'd imagine the differences are not huge that in your face midrange but sometimes fatiguing harshness and too much at times highs.To me the x1 is like a grado but with better bass comfort soundstage and rolled off treble.


Edited by c64 - 4/2/14 at 11:08pm
post #680 of 855
So...

I'm in this situation again. I was about to purchase the M50x, but now I'm questioning that.

I'd like a portable, closed/isolating (don't leak noise), very comfortable aggressive-sounding pair of headphones that I can wear in public without looking silly, along with being easy to drive.

Portable means that preferably, if I wear them while going out somewhere, I don't have to have a backpack on to keep them in if I decide not to listen any more, and I'd rather not have to fully remove them if I need to talk to someone. I think this means that what I'm looking for is a pair that has earcups that swivel so I can easily wear them around my neck if I need to. If I'm failing to consider an option here, let me know.

Noise leakage - self explanatory.

Comfortable - I have a big head. So I guess that should be taken into account. I owned v-moda crossfade LPs at one point and the comfort was atrocious. My ears felt like they were being crammed inside an area far too small - there was too much contact. So I'd like to avoid anything like that.

Sound signature - I mentioned aggressive, and I think that's what I want. I listen to hard rock, metal, metalcore (more commonly incorrectly referred to as screamo), and electronic. I've been told that what I'm looking for is a v-shaped sound signature, so the drums and bass hit hard and the guitar is prominent. What I know for sure is that I don't want headphones that sound relaxing or laid back. I want exciting and crisp. I want them to attack my ears and get me pumped and in to the music. All with minimal negative effect on the quality, of course.

Wearing in public...I think this is pretty self explanatory too.

I'll be using these straight with my Galaxy Note 3 and laptop, so easy to drive is a must.

I've owned V-moda Crossfade LPs (hated because of the fit, and the music just sounded muddy and bloated), Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (they sounded boring and I couldn't get in to the music unless I EQ'd the crap out of them, and they leaked noise), and the Sony MDR-7520 (They sounded good I guess, just not $350 good. Had to EQ to get them to sound how I wanted. They also weren't great in terms of portability.)

As a final note, the sound signature isn't as much of an issue as long as the headphones respond well to EQ and tick the rest of the boxes. Likewise, I think I can live with not being able to wear them around my neck and just holding them/putting them in my backpack if the headphones otherwise match my criteria (what do people normally do here? I mean, I live on a college campus, so lots of walking, but lots of interaction too).

I'm looking at the ATH-M50x, the NVX XPT100 (same as HM5), KRK-KNS 500, Ultrasone HFI 580, and a few others. Feel free to recommend anything - these are all in the same price range but I'm willing to pay up to $400 as long as I get my money's worth.

Thank you!
post #681 of 855

Sounds like the Ultrasones are right up your alley, however, I don't know how comfortable a headphone should be to be comfortable to you, nor do I know what you mean by wearing headphones in public without looking silly. I've seen a lot of headphones that look silly on the people wearing them, for instance V-Modas (looks like their goth god took a crap on their heads), that the owners would probably disagree with. Looks are subjective, as is comfort, so we can't really help you out with those two factors. So take comfort in the fact that someone is going to think you look silly and laughable no matter what headphone you wear. However, sound wise, the Ultrasones look like they could fit you.

post #682 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Sounds like the Ultrasones are right up your alley, however, I don't know how comfortable a headphone should be to be comfortable to you, nor do I know what you mean by wearing headphones in public without looking silly. I've seen a lot of headphones that look silly on the people wearing them, for instance V-Modas (looks like their goth god took a crap on their heads), that the owners would probably disagree with. Looks are subjective, as is comfort, so we can't really help you out with those two factors. So take comfort in the fact that someone is going to think you look silly and laughable no matter what headphone you wear. However, sound wise, the Ultrasones look like they could fit you.

Thank you. Should I go with the 580 or the 780? Or even the Pro 750 or one of the DJ models? The pro 900 is a bit out of my price range.

As far as looks, I'm generally okay as long as the headphones aren't freakishly huge or don't protrude in directions that they shouldn't protrude in.

And comfort...yeah, I guess you really can't help me there.
Edited by typhoon838 - 5/17/14 at 12:31pm
post #683 of 855

M50 was my first real headpohnes preety good for their price but i will add 150$ and moving to Hifiman HE400  another leauge..

post #684 of 855

I've always liked the M50, but I typically recommend the Sennheiser HD 439 for those looking for a high value headphone.

post #685 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon838 View Post


Thank you. Should I go with the 580 or the 780? Or even the Pro 750 or one of the DJ models? The pro 900 is a bit out of my price range.

As far as looks, I'm generally okay as long as the headphones aren't freakishly huge or don't protrude in directions that they shouldn't protrude in.

And comfort...yeah, I guess you really can't help me there.

Sorry for the delayed answer: The 780's are supposed to be the more balanced of the two, and the 580's the bassiest. I think the 780's are more versatile and well-rounded, however, keep in mind that Ultrasones have S-Logic which may or may not work for you, and if not, may sound bad.

post #686 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Sorry for the delayed answer: The 780's are supposed to be the more balanced of the two, and the 580's the bassiest. I think the 780's are more versatile and well-rounded, however, keep in mind that Ultrasones have S-Logic which may or may not work for you, and if not, may sound bad.

Ahhh I just found out that neither has a detachable cable. That's a no-no. Alternatives?
post #687 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon838 View Post

So...

I'm in this situation again. I was about to purchase the M50x, but now I'm questioning that.

I'd like a portable, closed/isolating (don't leak noise), very comfortable aggressive-sounding pair of headphones that I can wear in public without looking silly, along with being easy to drive.

Portable means that preferably, if I wear them while going out somewhere, I don't have to have a backpack on to keep them in if I decide not to listen any more, and I'd rather not have to fully remove them if I need to talk to someone. I think this means that what I'm looking for is a pair that has earcups that swivel so I can easily wear them around my neck if I need to. If I'm failing to consider an option here, let me know.

Noise leakage - self explanatory.

Comfortable - I have a big head. So I guess that should be taken into account. I owned v-moda crossfade LPs at one point and the comfort was atrocious. My ears felt like they were being crammed inside an area far too small - there was too much contact. So I'd like to avoid anything like that.

Sound signature - I mentioned aggressive, and I think that's what I want. I listen to hard rock, metal, metalcore (more commonly incorrectly referred to as screamo), and electronic. I've been told that what I'm looking for is a v-shaped sound signature, so the drums and bass hit hard and the guitar is prominent. What I know for sure is that I don't want headphones that sound relaxing or laid back. I want exciting and crisp. I want them to attack my ears and get me pumped and in to the music. All with minimal negative effect on the quality, of course.

Wearing in public...I think this is pretty self explanatory too.

I'll be using these straight with my Galaxy Note 3 and laptop, so easy to drive is a must.

I've owned V-moda Crossfade LPs (hated because of the fit, and the music just sounded muddy and bloated), Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (they sounded boring and I couldn't get in to the music unless I EQ'd the crap out of them, and they leaked noise), and the Sony MDR-7520 (They sounded good I guess, just not $350 good. Had to EQ to get them to sound how I wanted. They also weren't great in terms of portability.)

As a final note, the sound signature isn't as much of an issue as long as the headphones respond well to EQ and tick the rest of the boxes. Likewise, I think I can live with not being able to wear them around my neck and just holding them/putting them in my backpack if the headphones otherwise match my criteria (what do people normally do here? I mean, I live on a college campus, so lots of walking, but lots of interaction too).

I'm looking at the ATH-M50x, the NVX XPT100 (same as HM5), KRK-KNS 500, Ultrasone HFI 580, and a few others. Feel free to recommend anything - these are all in the same price range but I'm willing to pay up to $400 as long as I get my money's worth.

Thank you!

Just one more option to look at is the denon D600. If you can find them used here on the forum for less than 300 I think they are a good buy. They are easy to drive, isolate well, and are fun sounding. By no means are they a reference headphone though, and they are also rather large. There are plenty of reviews on how they sound so I will let you read the abundance and save myself some time on all the details. To me, they are a fun headphone and I enjoy them for the 280 that I paid for them. Although they retailed around 500 when they came out I would not have been satisfied with the purchase, that being said 300 is the most I will ever spend on headphones period.

post #688 of 855

Yeah, the D600 may also be a good alternative. Other than that, well, you have the M50x as well (personally, I think the M50 sounds great, nothing wrong with it - just giving alternatives). As for build and throwing headphones in backpacks: to be honest, 90% of all headphones survive being thrown around a bit. It's not porcelain. The M50's are known for their build quality, but really, I've had no headphone (not even the notorious Denon D2000) break on me in my backpack. None. I think you really have to be hard on headphones to break them, even those that aren't built like tanks. Of course, someone has broken theirs, and well, even tanks break (look at any war) - that being said, use a bit of common sense and you're safe with the vast majority of full-sized headphones, unless you're really unlucky. With IEMs though, that's another story.

post #689 of 855

However one notable exception are a few of the Shure headphones like the srh750,840,940 where their hinges and headband extender arms are particularly thin and weak.

post #690 of 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

However one notable exception are a few of the Shure headphones like the srh750,840,940 where their hinges and headband extender arms are particularly thin and weak.

 

940 yes - but the 840 are built pretty well IMO.  I had no issues with (both) my pairs when i owned them.  The 940 though is a train wreck.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King