I'm doing a comparison of Bass friendly headphones that are optimized for small amps and iPods. Here are the one's I've tested and how I rank them so far.
1. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Best QUALITY of Bass and most comfortable)
2. Pioneer HDJ 2000 K
3. Audio Technica ATH Pro 700 MK2
4. Sennheiser HD439
Even though the 700 MK2 has more quantity of, and deeper Bass it wasn't as well defined as the Bass with the M50's. With the M50's you can hear the fingers on the Bass. The Pioneer was good overall, but got a little raggedy with vocals at higher volumes. It has great Bass too, but not as good as the M50. I wasn't happy with the Sennheisers. Not much Bass compared to the others they sounded a little thin in comparison. Nice highs however. Very nice highs.
I am still looking though. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770s and some Ultrasone Pro 900s coming on UPS (hopefully) tomorrow. I have a four way amp I can direct compare with. If REALLY like the Bass on the M50s a LOT. Can anyone recommend a higher end Headphone that has the same Bass characteristics as the M50 but perhaps a bit more refined up top? I'm kind of hoping the DT 770 or the Ultrasone might fill that bill... Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Okay. The Ultrasone 900 and the DT770s arrived yesterday and I gave them a direct A/B comparo. Definitely like the Ultrasones better. They have more Bass kick and better soundstage (best of any closed back I've tried so far). For my money there's no comparison.
The DT770 also cost a lot less and the build quality shows that. They feel very plastic-y and cheap in comparison. The cable is permanently attached so if it shorts out, you are out of luck. All in all, the 900s are two or three steps up in quality IMO. They come with a hardcase and an extra set of ear pads. Not to mention a test CD... I will probably keep the 900s but I still have to try an open backed phone just to compare the soundstage and separation characteristics I've heard so much about...
If you are looking for a closed back phone with the best separation and sound stage (not to mention the best Bass) you would be hard pressed to beat the Ultrasone 900.
This is how I rank the phones I've tried in terms of Best Bass and best soundstage and separation.
1. Ultrasone 900
2. M50 (Great Bass, but sound very much "in your head" compared to the 900s).
3. Beyerdynamic DT770 (a lot less Bass than I expected, nowhere near the 900 or M50, but smoother highs and better soundstage)
4. Audio Technica ATH Pro 700 MK2 (These get a little loose with the Bass. M50 has more refined bass)
5. Pioneer HDJ 2000 K (good overall, but sound congested with alot of vocals)
6. Sennheiser HD439 (for a bass enhanced phone, they still sound thin and lack punch)
Edited by bareyb - 2/9/13 at 3:33pm