I have the Aristaeus on order and I'm wondering whether it's OK to position the amp section directly on top of the PSU ?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandHeadAmptagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headamp to receiver? Last post on 12/14/13 at 11:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headamp Pico Unsampling DAC serial# 099 (Black) Last post on 12/8/13 at 12:22pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- New lower prices on STAX headphones / amplifiers, and Whiplash cables Last post on 3/18/14 at 2:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread Last post on 1/17/15 at 6:24pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HeadAmp Audio Electronics now at HeadRoom Last post on 1/30/13 at 6:46pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
HeadAmp Aristaeus Electrostatic Amp - build thread - Page 7
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
you can, it doesnt create any heat issues, but the noise level will increase because of the transformer's field. you can mitigate this by using something to keep a gap of at least a few inches between the PSU and amp
I'm asking this because next year I'm considering getting from you the GS-X providing you can do it with a silver faceplate + matt black enclosure, and on the audio rack I've had made the only way I could put the GS-X on would be to have the Aristaeus's amp + PSU on the same shelf, however I might be able to put the Aristaeus's PSU on top of both units of the GS-X if that's possible, or would doing that cause any noise problems to the GS-X ?
Justin, for my needs regarding a dynamic headphone amp, it'll be the GS-1 I'll be ordering when I'm ready not the GS-X. I'd still like it with a silver faceplate + matt black enclosure but I'll sort that out when I'm placing an order.
The finished enclosure parts for the final batch of Aristaeus amps have arrived, so these are closer to being ready to ship
Bottom panels, feet attached, laser engraved for grounding
gentlemen, just some questions:
- It is mentioned in this thread the Electra and Electra SE. What are the difference between those 2 Eddy Current designs ?
- Also, I do not understand the difference between the Aristaeus and the Blue Hawaii ? They are very close in price, so do they have a different positioning ou usage ?
The answers to both are likely on the forums somewhere if you search, but I will chime in on the second question since I can't comment on the first question.
The Aristaeus is Justin's take on the Sennheiser HEV90 amplifier (which is out of production). The BHSE is a design by Kevin Gilmore which has been slightly tweaked by Justin and KG for offering only through HeadAmp. Specific opinions will differ about the benefits and drawbacks of both. General opinions though seem to be the Aristaeus offers a sweet, more tube-like sound where the BHSE is regarded to be more neutral. Which is better for you is dependent upon your preferences and what source equipment you use and which headphones you will be using them with. I have an Aristaeus, and adore it.
Because I planned to have both the Aristaeus's amp & PSU on the top shelf of my audio rack which was made from drawing I did, I asked Justin if it was possible to place the amp section directly on top of the PSU and Justin said doing that would probably cause noise.
So the photos are of a small rack I had made to separate both the Aristaeus's units. [ The small rack was made from the same place that did my main audio rack ]
The green coloured cardboard is 10" by 10" which I believe is the size of the Aristaeus and the isolation cones are for the Aristaeus's spiked feet.
All the audio equipment I have and what I'm getting apart from my source, have and will have matt black enclosures with silver faceplates to which I've asked for the same with the Aristaeus, my source which is showing in two of the photos is all silver.
Edited by David1961 - 12/7/12 at 11:46am
What is the current status of the Aristaeus amp? Are all the batch sold? If so, plans for another batch?
Or should I wait until one of these folks with both Aristaeus and BHSE finish their evaluation, and see if any Aristaeus amp are being sold?
He actually sold it. The 009 gave this amp a new lease on life. previously it was aimed mostly at the HE90, which is hard to come by.
Was looking more for the second version, and was wondering what the list was looking like.
they will be available early next year. all the enclosures are done. just need more circuit boards which i will have time to get once the next batch of BHSE and GS-X v2 are more complete
But my query is, can both a Senn and Stax headphone be listened to at the same time with the Aristaeus ?
- HeadAmp Aristaeus Electrostatic Amp - build thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Another noob with a recommendation thread - first sub-$50 headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Bower & Wilkins P7 with solid OFC litz braided cable! 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › The Ponomusic PonoPlayer Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 12 minutes ago
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC by lalojimenez
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by thatBeatsguy
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3