I have the Aristaeus on order and I'm wondering whether it's OK to position the amp section directly on top of the PSU ?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandHeadAmptagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headamp Pico Unsampling DAC serial# 099 (Black) Last post on 12/8/13 at 12:22pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- New lower prices on STAX headphones / amplifiers, and Whiplash cables Last post on 3/18/14 at 2:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread Last post on 8/14/14 at 9:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HeadAmp Audio Electronics now at HeadRoom Last post on 1/30/13 at 6:46pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560 Last post on Today at 12:01 pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Hifiman HE-400i Review and Comparison Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
HeadAmp Aristaeus Electrostatic Amp - build thread - Page 7
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
you can, it doesnt create any heat issues, but the noise level will increase because of the transformer's field. you can mitigate this by using something to keep a gap of at least a few inches between the PSU and amp
I'm asking this because next year I'm considering getting from you the GS-X providing you can do it with a silver faceplate + matt black enclosure, and on the audio rack I've had made the only way I could put the GS-X on would be to have the Aristaeus's amp + PSU on the same shelf, however I might be able to put the Aristaeus's PSU on top of both units of the GS-X if that's possible, or would doing that cause any noise problems to the GS-X ?
Justin, for my needs regarding a dynamic headphone amp, it'll be the GS-1 I'll be ordering when I'm ready not the GS-X. I'd still like it with a silver faceplate + matt black enclosure but I'll sort that out when I'm placing an order.
The finished enclosure parts for the final batch of Aristaeus amps have arrived, so these are closer to being ready to ship
Bottom panels, feet attached, laser engraved for grounding
gentlemen, just some questions:
- It is mentioned in this thread the Electra and Electra SE. What are the difference between those 2 Eddy Current designs ?
- Also, I do not understand the difference between the Aristaeus and the Blue Hawaii ? They are very close in price, so do they have a different positioning ou usage ?
The answers to both are likely on the forums somewhere if you search, but I will chime in on the second question since I can't comment on the first question.
The Aristaeus is Justin's take on the Sennheiser HEV90 amplifier (which is out of production). The BHSE is a design by Kevin Gilmore which has been slightly tweaked by Justin and KG for offering only through HeadAmp. Specific opinions will differ about the benefits and drawbacks of both. General opinions though seem to be the Aristaeus offers a sweet, more tube-like sound where the BHSE is regarded to be more neutral. Which is better for you is dependent upon your preferences and what source equipment you use and which headphones you will be using them with. I have an Aristaeus, and adore it.
Because I planned to have both the Aristaeus's amp & PSU on the top shelf of my audio rack which was made from drawing I did, I asked Justin if it was possible to place the amp section directly on top of the PSU and Justin said doing that would probably cause noise.
So the photos are of a small rack I had made to separate both the Aristaeus's units. [ The small rack was made from the same place that did my main audio rack ]
The green coloured cardboard is 10" by 10" which I believe is the size of the Aristaeus and the isolation cones are for the Aristaeus's spiked feet.
All the audio equipment I have and what I'm getting apart from my source, have and will have matt black enclosures with silver faceplates to which I've asked for the same with the Aristaeus, my source which is showing in two of the photos is all silver.
Edited by David1961 - 12/7/12 at 11:46am
What is the current status of the Aristaeus amp? Are all the batch sold? If so, plans for another batch?
Or should I wait until one of these folks with both Aristaeus and BHSE finish their evaluation, and see if any Aristaeus amp are being sold?
He actually sold it. The 009 gave this amp a new lease on life. previously it was aimed mostly at the HE90, which is hard to come by.
Was looking more for the second version, and was wondering what the list was looking like.
they will be available early next year. all the enclosures are done. just need more circuit boards which i will have time to get once the next batch of BHSE and GS-X v2 are more complete
But my query is, can both a Senn and Stax headphone be listened to at the same time with the Aristaeus ?
- HeadAmp Aristaeus Electrostatic Amp - build thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Anyone knows what headphone this is... 3 minutes ago
- › Interest Check: AKG K812 and Oppo PM-1 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH-840 vs Denon AH-D2000 5 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)