Just as the title says, I'm needing something to drive my DT 880 600 Ohms. Would an STX essence be adequate or what amp should I get? I have a xonar d2x at the moment
Related Forum Threads
- Any real alternative to D2000 (DT880 pro?) Last post on 7/12/12 at 2:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from HD 598 to HD 650, Q701, DT 880 or even T 1? Last post on 2/16/12 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880 Replacement Parts - Donor Headphones? Last post on 1/17/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- beyerdynamic DT 880/990 250ohm vs. 600ohm Last post on 1/10/12 at 5:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Didn’t get on with ADH-2000 how about DT-880 or DT-990? Last post on 3/2/12 at 2:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Got this earphones for the sole purpose of working out/biking. Tested out multiple sports headsets (similarly priced), from sennheiser and bose. They tend to sound better, especially than the...
Overall a great little card. Dolby headphone is amazing I preferred this card to my Sound Blaster Z, I sold that card when I needed a bit of money and bought this one to replace it for cheap and I...
I was in the market for a higher end 2.1 system when my search ended up at the Edifier website, I was impressed with the specs and decided to delve further, found a set at a nice price and pulled...
These are, without a doubt, the best In Ear Monitors that I own / have owned. Let me say that I purchased the pink color because it was far less expensive, less than $40. I purchased my pair from...
I am penning down my opinion about the QLS QA360 Digital Audio Player. I will try to keep this review simple as possible and I hope it would be easy to read, and will help fellow enthusiasts...
Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 91/16/12 at 6:42amQuote:
Technically, the amplifier of the STX is sufficient in terms of power and measured sound quality. So it is a decent option for a reasonable price. If you can get a pre-built O2 amplifier instead, it may be an improvement for a similar price (the D2X is good as a DAC). Tube amplifiers are often recommended for the DT880 for a "warmer" (although from a purely technical point of view not better) sound, but the good ones are obviously not cheap.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 6:48ampost #3 of 91/16/12 at 7:37ampost #4 of 91/16/12 at 8:01amThread Starter
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?post #5 of 91/16/12 at 8:11am
As an amplifier, the ST(X) performs similarly to the E9, it is also based on the same chip. Perhaps you would get some improvement in distortion and noise, partly due to the better DAC of the ST/STX cards. I do not know how much, if any audible difference there would be in practice, though. But if you were thinking about getting the ST or STX, then it would have been best to buy that in the first place, and sell the D2X if you do not need it. Of course, the E9 is useful as a stand-alone desktop amplifier that you can use from other sources without the PC.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 8:16ampost #6 of 91/16/12 at 8:16ampost #7 of 91/16/12 at 8:47ampost #8 of 91/16/12 at 10:32amQuote:Originally Posted by KrebsCOHO
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?
It looks like he already bought something.
how do you find the E9 performance with your beyers?
And, i think its better going for an amp dac in the future...unless space is an issue and you want a soundcard.post #9 of 91/17/12 at 8:52amThread Starter
Today was a mess.
I got the FiiO E9 in the mail and tested it out. It's actually faulty - the power LED is meant to come on when turning the knob but it doesn't happen at all. Amazon is sending me another one to be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.
- Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › W30 vs W40 - Help Please 3 minutes ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW DannyBai's take on the new Yamaha EPH... 4 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 4 minutes ago
- › Soundblaster E1 and Sennheiser G4ME Zero 5 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › Asus Xonar DGX by TsukiNick
- › Edifier S730 by Croozer
- › Velodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black) by spinnin
- › QLS QA360 Portable HiFi Lossless Music Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by psblend
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by longbowbbs
- › Klipsch Image S4i II Black In-Ear Headphones with Microphone by laurentiusjan
- › Audio Technica ATH-AD700 by witygass
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones, Black by Nocturnal310
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)