Just as the title says, I'm needing something to drive my DT 880 600 Ohms. Would an STX essence be adequate or what amp should I get? I have a xonar d2x at the moment
Related Forum Threads
- Any real alternative to D2000 (DT880 pro?) Last post on 7/12/12 at 2:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from HD 598 to HD 650, Q701, DT 880 or even T 1? Last post on 2/16/12 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880 Replacement Parts - Donor Headphones? Last post on 1/17/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- beyerdynamic DT 880/990 250ohm vs. 600ohm Last post on 1/10/12 at 5:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Didn’t get on with ADH-2000 how about DT-880 or DT-990? Last post on 3/2/12 at 2:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Got these headphones in blue limited edition and first of all, I must say that they look absolutely fantastic. Sexy in style and design. Not only that, the sound is amazing too! High, mid lows are...
As a precautionary remark: this is the first headphone review I have ever written - although I have read a lot of them; moreover these are the first pair of headphones I own in this price class,...
Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 91/16/12 at 6:42amQuote:
Technically, the amplifier of the STX is sufficient in terms of power and measured sound quality. So it is a decent option for a reasonable price. If you can get a pre-built O2 amplifier instead, it may be an improvement for a similar price (the D2X is good as a DAC). Tube amplifiers are often recommended for the DT880 for a "warmer" (although from a purely technical point of view not better) sound, but the good ones are obviously not cheap.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 6:48ampost #3 of 91/16/12 at 7:37ampost #4 of 91/16/12 at 8:01amThread Starter
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?post #5 of 91/16/12 at 8:11am
As an amplifier, the ST(X) performs similarly to the E9, it is also based on the same chip. Perhaps you would get some improvement in distortion and noise, partly due to the better DAC of the ST/STX cards. I do not know how much, if any audible difference there would be in practice, though. But if you were thinking about getting the ST or STX, then it would have been best to buy that in the first place, and sell the D2X if you do not need it. Of course, the E9 is useful as a stand-alone desktop amplifier that you can use from other sources without the PC.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 8:16ampost #6 of 91/16/12 at 8:16ampost #7 of 91/16/12 at 8:47ampost #8 of 91/16/12 at 10:32amQuote:Originally Posted by KrebsCOHO
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?
It looks like he already bought something.
how do you find the E9 performance with your beyers?
And, i think its better going for an amp dac in the future...unless space is an issue and you want a soundcard.post #9 of 91/17/12 at 8:52amThread Starter
Today was a mess.
I got the FiiO E9 in the mail and tested it out. It's actually faulty - the power LED is meant to come on when turning the knob but it doesn't happen at all. Amazon is sending me another one to be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.
- Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 24 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha EPH100 upgrade 1 minute ago
- › For Sale: Sony MDR-MA900 in superb shape $100 shipped in CONUS only 2 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 8 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 10 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 13 minutes ago
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)