Just as the title says, I'm needing something to drive my DT 880 600 Ohms. Would an STX essence be adequate or what amp should I get? I have a xonar d2x at the moment
Related Forum Threads
- Any real alternative to D2000 (DT880 pro?) Last post on 7/12/12 at 2:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from HD 598 to HD 650, Q701, DT 880 or even T 1? Last post on 2/16/12 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880 Replacement Parts - Donor Headphones? Last post on 1/17/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- beyerdynamic DT 880/990 250ohm vs. 600ohm Last post on 1/10/12 at 5:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Didn’t get on with ADH-2000 how about DT-880 or DT-990? Last post on 3/2/12 at 2:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 91/16/12 at 6:42amQuote:
Technically, the amplifier of the STX is sufficient in terms of power and measured sound quality. So it is a decent option for a reasonable price. If you can get a pre-built O2 amplifier instead, it may be an improvement for a similar price (the D2X is good as a DAC). Tube amplifiers are often recommended for the DT880 for a "warmer" (although from a purely technical point of view not better) sound, but the good ones are obviously not cheap.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 6:48ampost #3 of 91/16/12 at 7:37ampost #4 of 91/16/12 at 8:01amThread Starter
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?post #5 of 91/16/12 at 8:11am
As an amplifier, the ST(X) performs similarly to the E9, it is also based on the same chip. Perhaps you would get some improvement in distortion and noise, partly due to the better DAC of the ST/STX cards. I do not know how much, if any audible difference there would be in practice, though. But if you were thinking about getting the ST or STX, then it would have been best to buy that in the first place, and sell the D2X if you do not need it. Of course, the E9 is useful as a stand-alone desktop amplifier that you can use from other sources without the PC.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 8:16ampost #6 of 91/16/12 at 8:16ampost #7 of 91/16/12 at 8:47ampost #8 of 91/16/12 at 10:32amQuote:Originally Posted by KrebsCOHO
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?
It looks like he already bought something.
how do you find the E9 performance with your beyers?
And, i think its better going for an amp dac in the future...unless space is an issue and you want a soundcard.post #9 of 91/17/12 at 8:52amThread Starter
Today was a mess.
I got the FiiO E9 in the mail and tested it out. It's actually faulty - the power LED is meant to come on when turning the knob but it doesn't happen at all. Amazon is sending me another one to be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.
- Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 1 second ago
- › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. 4 seconds ago
- › The Stax thread (New) 1 minute ago
- › WTB: Minibox E+ 1 minute ago
- › New Abyss planar magnetic headphone 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio - The Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Shield Design Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › The curse of "higher"-fi / Refuse to use EQ, bass boost, too... 4 minutes ago
- › First good earphones! 4 minutes ago
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe