Just as the title says, I'm needing something to drive my DT 880 600 Ohms. Would an STX essence be adequate or what amp should I get? I have a xonar d2x at the moment
Related Forum Threads
- Any real alternative to D2000 (DT880 pro?) Last post on 7/12/12 at 2:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from HD 598 to HD 650, Q701, DT 880 or even T 1? Last post on 2/16/12 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880 Replacement Parts - Donor Headphones? Last post on 1/17/12 at 5:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- beyerdynamic DT 880/990 250ohm vs. 600ohm Last post on 1/10/12 at 5:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Didn’t get on with ADH-2000 how about DT-880 or DT-990? Last post on 3/2/12 at 2:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sound Signature. If I were to describe this cans, the V shape would be fitting, but it is just a moderate V shape, nothing overly pronounced but not flat by any means. Bass. This is where the...
After spending some time auditioning and researching I've finally found that illusive nirvana, the perfect mix of price, design and sound for me. I wanted a DAC minus the frills. As a HD800...
I have felt compelled to attempt my first review after recently building Bottleheads premium diy headphone amplifier offering the Bottlehead Mainline. I have built a few of their kits now and...
First of all I would like to thank FiiO for choosing me as part of the world tour of the new X3 DAP. I am pretty new in reviewing audio devices, and I feel really grateful for including...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 91/16/12 at 6:42amQuote:
Technically, the amplifier of the STX is sufficient in terms of power and measured sound quality. So it is a decent option for a reasonable price. If you can get a pre-built O2 amplifier instead, it may be an improvement for a similar price (the D2X is good as a DAC). Tube amplifiers are often recommended for the DT880 for a "warmer" (although from a purely technical point of view not better) sound, but the good ones are obviously not cheap.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 6:48ampost #3 of 91/16/12 at 7:37ampost #4 of 91/16/12 at 8:01amThread Starter
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?post #5 of 91/16/12 at 8:11am
As an amplifier, the ST(X) performs similarly to the E9, it is also based on the same chip. Perhaps you would get some improvement in distortion and noise, partly due to the better DAC of the ST/STX cards. I do not know how much, if any audible difference there would be in practice, though. But if you were thinking about getting the ST or STX, then it would have been best to buy that in the first place, and sell the D2X if you do not need it. Of course, the E9 is useful as a stand-alone desktop amplifier that you can use from other sources without the PC.
Edited by stv014 - 1/16/12 at 8:16ampost #6 of 91/16/12 at 8:16ampost #7 of 91/16/12 at 8:47ampost #8 of 91/16/12 at 10:32amQuote:Originally Posted by KrebsCOHO
I've had a look around some other similar threads and saw a few recommendations for the FiiO E9 so I bought that. I hear people saying it's pointless to put the E9 and an STX together, so the d2x should be sufficient for now. Would there be a point going for an STX in the future?
It looks like he already bought something.
how do you find the E9 performance with your beyers?
And, i think its better going for an amp dac in the future...unless space is an issue and you want a soundcard.post #9 of 91/17/12 at 8:52amThread Starter
Today was a mess.
I got the FiiO E9 in the mail and tested it out. It's actually faulty - the power LED is meant to come on when turning the knob but it doesn't happen at all. Amazon is sending me another one to be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.
- Quick response - What amp for DT 880?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Three Word Story 4 seconds ago
- › Headphone Advice for My Purposes 50 seconds ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread. 1 minute ago
- › 2015 Denver CO summer meet 6/27 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › DAP: How to manage & search SD cards? 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › How differently will headphones change in the next 100 years? 5 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by MCouary
- › Arcam irDAC Audiophile Grade Digital to Analog Converter by cub3
- › Bottlehead Mainline by JamieMcC
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by viperxp
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone Amplifier by mark2410
- › Topping VX1 2x25W Hi-Fi Power Stereo Subwoofer Amplifier... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Generic Fit Digital-Hybrid In-Ear Monitors in... by Hawaiibadboy
- › Graham Slee Majestic DAC by mark2410
- › MEElectronics HT-21 Travel Lightweight Headphone with Swivel Cups,... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2