Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones? - Page 3

post #31 of 43

Some of the Nakamichi Headphones have detachable cables Model 2030 and NK780 I know for a fact do and so do the monoprice headphones (forgot model number)

post #32 of 43

I've wondered this too. I wish the more expensive headphones had this. If you mess up your cable on your $1,000 headphones it would be a nice feeling to replace the cable instead of replacing the headphone.

post #33 of 43

Some othe VM audio Elux headphones have removable cables. 

 

Most Gearonics heaphones have removable cables. 

 

Nakamichi NC40 

Nakamichi Nk780 

Nakamichi NK2030 

 

I remeber seing some phones made by some chinese company called "Fiener" that had removable jacks, they looked similar to the Beats/Gearonics phones. 

 

I'm surprised at how few midrange cans have a removable cable, I do think that $40.00 and up you should carry at least one or two models with a removable cable.. Hmmm.

post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraI View Post
 

I've wondered this too. I wish the more expensive headphones had this. If you mess up your cable on your $1,000 headphones it would be a nice feeling to replace the cable instead of replacing the headphone.

 

You don't have replace the headphone; you simply recable it.

 

I prefer non-detachable because the jacks usually stick out on the detachable ones and sometimes bump into my shoulder(s). I've never had a broken cable in 15 years except for $10 Koss clip ons (two for two! :angry_face:).

 

Generally, single-sided entry models aren't detachable and double-sided ones are.

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

You don't have replace the headphone; you simply recable it.

 

I prefer non-detachable because the jacks usually stick out on the detachable ones and sometimes bump into my shoulder(s). I've never had a broken cable in 15 years except for $10 Koss clip ons (two for two! :angry_face:).

 

Generally, single-sided entry models aren't detachable and double-sided ones are.

Well it's allways nice to be able to change from unbalanced to balanced cables etc. :)

post #36 of 43
Nowadays single entry detachable is getting more and more common. I always do a detachable mod on my headphones. I like being able to change out my cables. I don't want to be walking around with 6 foot of my 10 foot cable ziptied. F that.

<3

post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

Nowadays single entry detachable is getting more and more common. I always do a detachable mod on my headphones. I like being able to change out my cables. I don't want to be walking around with 6 foot of my 10 foot cable ziptied. F that.

<3

Damn, now i'm spending my 500th post on you. Damn nice mod, looks like it would look like that from factory almost :)

post #38 of 43
Congrats on the 500+!
That's always my intention; nice functional mods that look like they were bought that way.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

Nowadays single entry detachable is getting more and more common. I always do a detachable mod on my headphones.

That is beautiful. How long did it take you to wire everything up? Would you mind posting a parts list and/or any gotchas you encountered while doing this? I've got a pair of 770s that will likely be neglected in the coming months due to my new Audeze purchases, but it would certainly be interesting to do some testing with a rewire for balanced cables. I'm curious to see how they'd sound with something that can generate larger voltage swings like my Mjolnir.

post #40 of 43

Hard to believe at times but are people new to headphones ? every cable I've ever had on every headphone I've ever owned goes on one side eventually from bending etc wear and tear

Thick (loops cables) thin every single cable I have ever had goes so the idea that thicker cables on beyers last simply isn't true.

It should be bog standard on expensive headphone to have a detachable cable.


Edited by c64 - 4/27/14 at 2:54pm
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyerMonster View Post
 

That is beautiful. How long did it take you to wire everything up? Would you mind posting a parts list and/or any gotchas you encountered while doing this? I've got a pair of 770s that will likely be neglected in the coming months due to my new Audeze purchases, but it would certainly be interesting to do some testing with a rewire for balanced cables. I'm curious to see how they'd sound with something that can generate larger voltage swings like my Mjolnir.

It didn't take too long, maybe an hour. I had to make the hole on the right cup and had to widen the one on the left. 

 

The mini-xlr chassis connectors I used were TB3M (part number).

and the femalein line connectors I used were TA3FLX.

I use BTG copper wire for the internals, and for the cable I made for them. 

I used a small Dremel rotary tool to wide and make holes in the cups. 

post #42 of 43

I'm in a similar boat, I like my headphones to have removable cables. The stock cable is great for at home, but at work, or at the mixing console I don't want 3m of cable dragging around. 1.25m is the length I want for portable use, which isn't an option without modifying headphones with permanent cables.

 

At work I also have access to quite nice cable that is nicer than just about any stock cable I've seen with a couple of exceptions.

 

Here's my T70's, the reason they don't do it is it's a lot easer to make a hole and run cable through it, a connector is extra cost and extra design. It was about a 4 hour process for me. They store a lot better now too, no kinked cable in the stock carrying case.

 

 

 

 

post #43 of 43

The Lemos are so sexy.

 

I've done detachable mods for people on M50s, DT770's, 880's and 990's, so it was pretty routine for me for my own DT770. 

 

I really don't like having to twist up cables to make them shorter. I saw a headfier that I added on facebook post a picture of his Q701 with it's cable braided up and just thought it was hideous. I'd rather just swap out for another cable.

 

I found it kind of funny a couple months ago when Audio Technica started making the M50x (removable cable version). There were and still are people making a bunch of money doing detachable mods on the M50s, so Audio Technica wanted to put that money in their pocket instead.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?