Was wondering about this and when I mean expensive the price is 200+ USD.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- [Mini-Review] I LOVE THE LCD2.2! ^_^ Last post on 1/9/12 at 12:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So my Ultrasone PRO 550's came today... (First Impressions Mini-Review) Last post on 9/30/11 at 6:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How do ultrasones compare to the big names? Last post on 9/7/11 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I would like to thank Creative Singapore for the loan of Creative Aurvana Live 2 demo sample! http://sg.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-aurvana-live2 Launched in 2013,...
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?post #1 of 431/15/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 431/16/12 at 1:04ampost #3 of 431/16/12 at 1:16ampost #4 of 431/16/12 at 1:26am
I think detachable cables increase the cost of manufacturing as well as the risk of jack fault maybe. AFAIK the cables of Beyers and German Maestros are pretty sturdy, they may not need a to be detachable.
Anyway I think detachable/single-side cabling is the trend of consumer headphones though I just don't like it..
Edited by NicoCat - 1/16/12 at 1:33ampost #5 of 431/16/12 at 1:35am
There's not a huge benefit to it really, I suppose it makes things easier if you mistreat your headphones and the cable breaks, but in 99% cases you'll never have to remove it anyway.post #6 of 431/16/12 at 1:41ampost #7 of 431/16/12 at 1:55amThread StarterQuote:
I can see it being used in portability applications where the owner doesn't like the end of his cable bending on the headphone.post #8 of 431/16/12 at 2:12ampost #9 of 431/16/12 at 2:32ampost #10 of 431/16/12 at 2:51am
Quite simply - detachable cables cost more money.
They are more expensive to make and also insert something that can cause crackling and be unreliable.
So the cheaper headphones tend to have fixed cables - and I certainly consider $200 pretty inexpensive.
As a detachable cable adds cost but does not improve the quality, it tends to be only the more expensive headphones that have one.post #11 of 431/16/12 at 3:03ampost #12 of 431/16/12 at 3:16am
It should indeed be a standard feature, especially for expensive headphones. I mean, look at the Beyerdynamic T5p for instance. It's one of the most expensive "portable" headphones around and it has such thin non-removable cables. This alone is enough reason for me not to buy them. Not gonna want to send my expensive headphones away just because I accidently damaged the cable. And why doesn't the T1 have removable cables? It's nuts. I guess they want to keep production costs as low as possible.post #13 of 431/16/12 at 3:17amThread Starterpost #14 of 431/16/12 at 3:45ampost #15 of 431/16/12 at 3:58am
I don't think, for the manufacturer, it makes the cost of replacing headphones due to failed cables is less than designing the associated jacks and the potential costs of jack failure. Moreover, being engineering based firms believe in the validity of different cables and the efficacy of changing cables to change the sound profile of a given set of headphones.
- Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 5 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 7 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 8 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998 8 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 11 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 16 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 17 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 19 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by earfonia
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2