Was wondering about this and when I mean expensive the price is 200+ USD.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- [Mini-Review] I LOVE THE LCD2.2! ^_^ Last post on 1/9/12 at 12:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So my Ultrasone PRO 550's came today... (First Impressions Mini-Review) Last post on 9/30/11 at 6:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How do ultrasones compare to the big names? Last post on 9/7/11 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Introduction – The first Soundlink Mini was quite an important product in the portable Bluetooth speaker landscape, it was one of the first speakers to use two opposing passive radiators and also...
Part 1 - TORTURE TEST So, have you ever heard the noise from an old laptop's hard drive spinning-up, or the electronic "chirp" of your mouse cursor moving across your screen during music...
FiiO EM3Comfort is King DisclaimerThe EM3 was a review unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to record my thoughts and impressions on how I found the...
I have had this amp now for about 6 months, and I very much enjoy the sound. I didn't even bother with the stock tubes, they got tossed in favor of a matched pair of GE 5657's, and I have a pair of...
Rhapsodio Solar Note: The custom in-ear in this review was provided at a discounted rate. Rhapsodio is an up and coming manufacturer of both custom in-ears and custom-like universals....
Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?post #1 of 431/15/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 431/16/12 at 1:04ampost #3 of 431/16/12 at 1:16ampost #4 of 431/16/12 at 1:26am
I think detachable cables increase the cost of manufacturing as well as the risk of jack fault maybe. AFAIK the cables of Beyers and German Maestros are pretty sturdy, they may not need a to be detachable.
Anyway I think detachable/single-side cabling is the trend of consumer headphones though I just don't like it..
Edited by NicoCat - 1/16/12 at 1:33ampost #5 of 431/16/12 at 1:35am
There's not a huge benefit to it really, I suppose it makes things easier if you mistreat your headphones and the cable breaks, but in 99% cases you'll never have to remove it anyway.post #6 of 431/16/12 at 1:41ampost #7 of 431/16/12 at 1:55amThread StarterQuote:
I can see it being used in portability applications where the owner doesn't like the end of his cable bending on the headphone.post #8 of 431/16/12 at 2:12ampost #9 of 431/16/12 at 2:32ampost #10 of 431/16/12 at 2:51am
Quite simply - detachable cables cost more money.
They are more expensive to make and also insert something that can cause crackling and be unreliable.
So the cheaper headphones tend to have fixed cables - and I certainly consider $200 pretty inexpensive.
As a detachable cable adds cost but does not improve the quality, it tends to be only the more expensive headphones that have one.post #11 of 431/16/12 at 3:03ampost #12 of 431/16/12 at 3:16am
It should indeed be a standard feature, especially for expensive headphones. I mean, look at the Beyerdynamic T5p for instance. It's one of the most expensive "portable" headphones around and it has such thin non-removable cables. This alone is enough reason for me not to buy them. Not gonna want to send my expensive headphones away just because I accidently damaged the cable. And why doesn't the T1 have removable cables? It's nuts. I guess they want to keep production costs as low as possible.post #13 of 431/16/12 at 3:17amThread Starterpost #14 of 431/16/12 at 3:45ampost #15 of 431/16/12 at 3:58am
I don't think, for the manufacturer, it makes the cost of replacing headphones due to failed cables is less than designing the associated jacks and the potential costs of jack failure. Moreover, being engineering based firms believe in the validity of different cables and the efficacy of changing cables to change the sound profile of a given set of headphones.
- Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Fake Senheiser IE800? 45 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 3 minutes ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 9 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ 10 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 11 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › iFi iPurifier 2 by knorris908
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by RedJohn456
- › Little Dot I+ by Shasari
- › Rhapsodio Solar by shotgunshane
- › Superlux HD-660 by Wiljen
- › ACS T1 by Docjitters
- › QKZ W1 Pro - In-ear sport headphone by B9Scrambler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mechgamer123
- › Dunu TITAN 5 by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse