Was wondering about this and when I mean expensive the price is 200+ USD.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- [Mini-Review] I LOVE THE LCD2.2! ^_^ Last post on 1/9/12 at 12:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So my Ultrasone PRO 550's came today... (First Impressions Mini-Review) Last post on 9/30/11 at 6:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How do ultrasones compare to the big names? Last post on 9/7/11 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) Last post on 5/26/14 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sony XB90EX Review This is not gonna be super in depth but just a small review and a comparison to the Sony XBA30. Ok so first thing I noticed when unboxing, wow they are big! Definitely much...
first review. yayyyyyyyyyy, so here we go. I am no super expert in headphones, but heres what I think the bass is very rumbling. I think that it wasn't as thumping or hard hitting as i would like...
I currently had done a review for the Fostex HP-A3 DAC/amp unit, which is a couple years old, but none the less one of the best units in the price range from experience and reading material...
Bought these in an airport as my other earbuds had stopped working. Even though I bought these in an emergency I immediately regret this purchase. They are definitely worse than the old apple...
Thanks to Calyx for allowing Team Tokyo to borrow a unit for review. Note: Version 0.6 and 0.95 of the software were used for this review. The first thing many people wanted when they...
Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?post #1 of 431/15/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 431/16/12 at 1:04ampost #3 of 431/16/12 at 1:16ampost #4 of 431/16/12 at 1:26am
I think detachable cables increase the cost of manufacturing as well as the risk of jack fault maybe. AFAIK the cables of Beyers and German Maestros are pretty sturdy, they may not need a to be detachable.
Anyway I think detachable/single-side cabling is the trend of consumer headphones though I just don't like it..
Edited by NicoCat - 1/16/12 at 1:33ampost #5 of 431/16/12 at 1:35am
There's not a huge benefit to it really, I suppose it makes things easier if you mistreat your headphones and the cable breaks, but in 99% cases you'll never have to remove it anyway.post #6 of 431/16/12 at 1:41ampost #7 of 431/16/12 at 1:55amThread StarterQuote:
I can see it being used in portability applications where the owner doesn't like the end of his cable bending on the headphone.post #8 of 431/16/12 at 2:12ampost #9 of 431/16/12 at 2:32ampost #10 of 431/16/12 at 2:51am
Quite simply - detachable cables cost more money.
They are more expensive to make and also insert something that can cause crackling and be unreliable.
So the cheaper headphones tend to have fixed cables - and I certainly consider $200 pretty inexpensive.
As a detachable cable adds cost but does not improve the quality, it tends to be only the more expensive headphones that have one.post #11 of 431/16/12 at 3:03ampost #12 of 431/16/12 at 3:16am
It should indeed be a standard feature, especially for expensive headphones. I mean, look at the Beyerdynamic T5p for instance. It's one of the most expensive "portable" headphones around and it has such thin non-removable cables. This alone is enough reason for me not to buy them. Not gonna want to send my expensive headphones away just because I accidently damaged the cable. And why doesn't the T1 have removable cables? It's nuts. I guess they want to keep production costs as low as possible.post #13 of 431/16/12 at 3:17amThread Starterpost #14 of 431/16/12 at 3:45ampost #15 of 431/16/12 at 3:58am
I don't think, for the manufacturer, it makes the cost of replacing headphones due to failed cables is less than designing the associated jacks and the potential costs of jack failure. Moreover, being engineering based firms believe in the validity of different cables and the efficacy of changing cables to change the sound profile of a given set of headphones.
- Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser headphones for a mix of quality audio in music and gaming? 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Fried Chicken 2 minutes ago
- › do IEMs give more bang for buck? 4 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 4 minutes ago
- › Marshall Monitor Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › Favorite Bruckner Recordings 6 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 7 minutes ago
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by classycans
- › Audio Poutine CDAC+ by WhiskeyJacks
- › Hama HK-3063 by Blanejmc
- › Calyx Audio M by Currawong
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms by MrTechAgent
- › T-PEOS H-100II by mark2410
- › Yulong Audio D200 32bit 384khz DSD DAC by customNuts
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)