Was wondering about this and when I mean expensive the price is 200+ USD.
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- [Mini-Review] I LOVE THE LCD2.2! ^_^ Last post on 1/9/12 at 12:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So my Ultrasone PRO 550's came today... (First Impressions Mini-Review) Last post on 9/30/11 at 6:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How do ultrasones compare to the big names? Last post on 9/7/11 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) Last post on 1/23/14 at 2:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Hello Just few words about my self: Im professional sound engineer, who enjoys pure and flat sound. Nothing hyped and no snake oil for me thank you. Just got them couple days ago, and i was...
For the first time I'm actually digging Beats. I've owned and tried different audiophile headphones. Sony MA900, Audio Technica AD900x/AD700x, V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and Sennheiser PC360 are some...
I really enjoyed this headset for the short period I used them. After only a couple of months of very light use (walking to the office), the headband broke at the left hinge. Unfortunately the shop...
These in ears are as cheap as it gets and you get what you pay for. Though when compared to similarly priced in ears a few things stand out. Build quality and looks are good. It comes with...
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?post #1 of 321/15/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 321/16/12 at 1:04ampost #3 of 321/16/12 at 1:16ampost #4 of 321/16/12 at 1:26am
I think detachable cables increase the cost of manufacturing as well as the risk of jack fault maybe. AFAIK the cables of Beyers and German Maestros are pretty sturdy, they may not need a to be detachable.
Anyway I think detachable/single-side cabling is the trend of consumer headphones though I just don't like it..
Edited by NicoCat - 1/16/12 at 1:33ampost #5 of 321/16/12 at 1:35am
There's not a huge benefit to it really, I suppose it makes things easier if you mistreat your headphones and the cable breaks, but in 99% cases you'll never have to remove it anyway.post #6 of 321/16/12 at 1:41ampost #7 of 321/16/12 at 1:55amThread StarterQuote:
I can see it being used in portability applications where the owner doesn't like the end of his cable bending on the headphone.post #8 of 321/16/12 at 2:12ampost #9 of 321/16/12 at 2:32ampost #10 of 321/16/12 at 2:51am
Quite simply - detachable cables cost more money.
They are more expensive to make and also insert something that can cause crackling and be unreliable.
So the cheaper headphones tend to have fixed cables - and I certainly consider $200 pretty inexpensive.
As a detachable cable adds cost but does not improve the quality, it tends to be only the more expensive headphones that have one.post #11 of 321/16/12 at 3:03ampost #12 of 321/16/12 at 3:16am
It should indeed be a standard feature, especially for expensive headphones. I mean, look at the Beyerdynamic T5p for instance. It's one of the most expensive "portable" headphones around and it has such thin non-removable cables. This alone is enough reason for me not to buy them. Not gonna want to send my expensive headphones away just because I accidently damaged the cable. And why doesn't the T1 have removable cables? It's nuts. I guess they want to keep production costs as low as possible.post #13 of 321/16/12 at 3:17amThread Starterpost #14 of 321/16/12 at 3:45ampost #15 of 321/16/12 at 3:58am
I don't think, for the manufacturer, it makes the cost of replacing headphones due to failed cables is less than designing the associated jacks and the potential costs of jack failure. Moreover, being engineering based firms believe in the validity of different cables and the efficacy of changing cables to change the sound profile of a given set of headphones.
- Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 9 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Exclusive - 10% Rebate On Astell&Kern + Free MQS Album 14 seconds ago
- › Kitchen Designer Leeds 17 seconds ago
- › Wickes Kitchens 49 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 1 minute ago
- › Too much info. need advice. 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Insane Question! Using Headphones for watching movies? 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 3/12/2014: Monster... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by KT66
- › Noontec ZOROHDBLK ZORO HD True Sound Headphones with Inline Mic and... by BillsonChang007
- › Hisoundaudio BA100 by Jazmanaut
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by gl0ry
- › AKG K619 Premium DJ Headphones with Mic (Black) by jonnablaze
- › Cowon EM1 In-Earphone by vaibhavp
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude