Was wondering about this and when I mean expensive the price is 200+ USD.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- [Mini-Review] I LOVE THE LCD2.2! ^_^ Last post on 1/9/12 at 12:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So my Ultrasone PRO 550's came today... (First Impressions Mini-Review) Last post on 9/30/11 at 6:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How do ultrasones compare to the big names? Last post on 9/7/11 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) Last post on 5/26/14 at 4:06am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?post #1 of 431/15/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 431/16/12 at 1:04ampost #3 of 431/16/12 at 1:16ampost #4 of 431/16/12 at 1:26am
I think detachable cables increase the cost of manufacturing as well as the risk of jack fault maybe. AFAIK the cables of Beyers and German Maestros are pretty sturdy, they may not need a to be detachable.
Anyway I think detachable/single-side cabling is the trend of consumer headphones though I just don't like it..
Edited by NicoCat - 1/16/12 at 1:33ampost #5 of 431/16/12 at 1:35am
There's not a huge benefit to it really, I suppose it makes things easier if you mistreat your headphones and the cable breaks, but in 99% cases you'll never have to remove it anyway.post #6 of 431/16/12 at 1:41ampost #7 of 431/16/12 at 1:55amThread StarterQuote:
I can see it being used in portability applications where the owner doesn't like the end of his cable bending on the headphone.post #8 of 431/16/12 at 2:12ampost #9 of 431/16/12 at 2:32ampost #10 of 431/16/12 at 2:51am
Quite simply - detachable cables cost more money.
They are more expensive to make and also insert something that can cause crackling and be unreliable.
So the cheaper headphones tend to have fixed cables - and I certainly consider $200 pretty inexpensive.
As a detachable cable adds cost but does not improve the quality, it tends to be only the more expensive headphones that have one.post #11 of 431/16/12 at 3:03ampost #12 of 431/16/12 at 3:16am
It should indeed be a standard feature, especially for expensive headphones. I mean, look at the Beyerdynamic T5p for instance. It's one of the most expensive "portable" headphones around and it has such thin non-removable cables. This alone is enough reason for me not to buy them. Not gonna want to send my expensive headphones away just because I accidently damaged the cable. And why doesn't the T1 have removable cables? It's nuts. I guess they want to keep production costs as low as possible.post #13 of 431/16/12 at 3:17amThread Starterpost #14 of 431/16/12 at 3:45ampost #15 of 431/16/12 at 3:58am
I don't think, for the manufacturer, it makes the cost of replacing headphones due to failed cables is less than designing the associated jacks and the potential costs of jack failure. Moreover, being engineering based firms believe in the validity of different cables and the efficacy of changing cables to change the sound profile of a given set of headphones.
- Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Looking for closed headphones under $200 1 minute ago
- › TMA-1 vs. Ultrasone (650/750/2500)? 1 minute ago
- › Your top five favourite drummers - any genre of music - just name... 1 minute ago
- › UE900 or DUNU 2000 or JVC HA-FX850 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: HIFIMAN HM-700 - Amazing Mid-Fi Player 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Choosing an external sound card for good headphones (HD 600-650, DT... 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)