A few years ago I had disillusions of creating a modern interpretation of the Grado 225. I thought maybe when I was done I'd share how it went but considering that hasn't happened yet, maybe if share what I have now it'll encourage me to finish up
I started out with a rough design in CAD that replaced all of the original Grado components to have a base platform to test. The new design replaced the original plastic parts with aluminum and used carbon fibre for the headband (I'm kind of obsessed with CF).
After printing out a few plastic prototypes I found out they didn't even come close to fitting nor did they articulate enough to adapt to various people - whoops The switch from spring steel to a carbon headband meant I had to spend a lot more time dialing in the exact shape and thickness of the headband to get a comfortable fit.
So I made CF headband to get a better understanding of how it differed from straight up printed headbands
...and kept on trying to get it right.
And I'm slowly getting closer in the design refinement
and here's where I'm stuck at the moment - working on figuring out how to make the headphone stand