Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz? - Page 30

Poll Results: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?

 
  • 23% (100)
    Yes
  • 76% (321)
    No
421 Total Votes  
post #436 of 543

I'm 21 years old and I can hear up to ~17 kHz. Is that bad? :/

I can still hear the sound from an old cathode ray tube TV.


Edited by miceblue - 2/11/13 at 2:32pm
post #437 of 543

it simply means that youre honest with yourself - that is NEVER bad :)  a lot of people (read: all) who said "yes" could learn a lot from you! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I'm 21 years old and I can hear up to ~17 kHz. Is that bad? :/

I can still hear the sound from an old cathode ray tube TV.

post #438 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

it simply means that youre honest with yourself - that is NEVER bad :)  a lot of people (read: all) who said "yes" could learn a lot from you! 

 

 

I agree, your honesty is good.  However, don't assume that "all" of us are lying.  I can hear what I claim I can hear. :-P  If you want to come over and test me you are welcome. :-) haha.

post #439 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

I agree, your honesty is good.  However, don't assume that "all" of us are lying.  I can hear what I claim I can hear. :-P  If you want to come over and test me you are welcome. :-) haha.


I agree. It is very irritating to have people assume that they are right and you are wrong. The concept applies to other areas as well. People can hear better than others just as people can see better, people have higher IQs, etc. The list goes on.

post #440 of 543

I can hear 22khz!!! YAY :D! But it sounds weirdly low like the slightest breeze?

 

21 Male on ShureSE535.


Edited by uchihaitachi - 2/12/13 at 9:40am
post #441 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

it simply means that youre honest with yourself - that is NEVER bad :)  a lot of people (read: all) who said "yes" could learn a lot from you! 

 

Why so bitter. Some of us just have better hearing. In fact if your ears are too sensitive it's a big hassle. I hear high frequency mosquito repellents and I can hear hissing from pretty much every music source and it drives me insane.

post #442 of 543

"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion.

post #443 of 543

It does except for the momentary headache i get XD

post #444 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion.

 

Plus the 535 is so rolled off after 10k it doesn't even reproduce 22khz at a fraction of the level of the rest of its spectrum. :-P

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I agree. It is very irritating to have people assume that they are right and you are wrong. The concept applies to other areas as well. People can hear better than others just as people can see better, people have higher IQs, etc. The list goes on.

 

Exactly.  I know it can sound boasty and obnoxious, but sometimes it really is true.


Edited by luisdent - 2/12/13 at 5:27pm
post #445 of 543

 

Quote: bigshot
"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion."

 

This is more likely, especially given the specific IEM's fr response.

 

I can honestly say that I can't hear anything past 19khz or so on any of my iems/headphones.  They simply aren't accurate enough that high up.  I can only hear further up on my studio monitor speakers in a quiet room with my dedicated audio interface.  Even then it is much quieter and requires focus.  But I can in fact hear it as sound and not just pressure.

 

Just as a reference, when I'm listening for anything above 20khz, I have to be so quiet the loudest thing I hear is my heart beat.  And it's quite annoying.  :-P


Edited by luisdent - 2/12/13 at 5:31pm
post #446 of 543

 

Quote: bigshot
"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion."

 

This is more likely, especially given the specific IEM's fr response.

 

I can honestly say that I can't hear anything past 18-19khz or so on any of my iems/headphones.  They simply aren't accurate enough that high up.  I can only hear further up on my studio monitor speakers in a quiet room with my dedicated audio interface.  Even then it is much quieter and requires focus.  But I can in fact hear it as sound and not just pressure.

 

Just as a reference, when I'm listening for anything above 20khz, I have to be so quiet the loudest thing I hear is my heart beat.  And it's quite annoying.  :-P

post #447 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 


lol I find that to be much worse with Custom IEMs in and if you are lying down and hearing your own heart beat & (not so much feeling lol) the vibrations throughout the house lol (airy conditioning from room mates room, refrigerator, fan in room lol) :P.


Edited by lee730 - 2/12/13 at 5:51pm
post #448 of 543

I tried it with speakers same effect. Annoying headache every time it's played?! I find with my Shures although people say it 'rolls off', the treble is there but just not so bright and forward?

post #449 of 543

Unless you have some pretty fancy super tweeters, the odds that your speakers are reproducing that range are even lower. I think you're hearing a distortion artifact of a frequency your equipment isn't designed to reproduce. Was there a point where it stopped sounding like a pure tone and became a hissing sound? That is probably the true cutoff.

post #450 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

Unless you have some pretty fancy super tweeters, the odds that your speakers are reproducing that range are even lower. I think you're hearing a distortion artifact of a frequency your equipment isn't designed to reproduce. Was there a point where it stopped sounding like a pure tone and became a hissing sound? That is probably the true cutoff.

No, actually it gradually raises in pitch and lowers in volume until about 19 kHz then it rolls off fast to about 21khz and poof.. Gone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?