Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Good in every way, and when you recable them, they have good soundstage as well :D.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best closed headphones? Last post on 5/29/12 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for a closed can in $150~$300 range Last post on 10/19/11 at 5:59am in Headphones (full-size)
- n00b advice (Ultrasone 900) Last post on 10/5/11 at 2:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Going Audiophile For Gaming! Last post on 7/4/13 at 4:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- movie cans; cans for michael buble-style music; beats pro vs v-moda crossfades LP Last post on 4/3/11 at 9:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Review: Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone Touch Panel Control activated Introduction It was a brisk day in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I attended AXPONA, which is...
The Z2016. A strange beast that did have some potential Introduction Zhiyin is a name that has recently caused quite a stir here on Head-Fi after releasing their flagship model the QT5. Some...
Big thanks to InEar and Musicteck for providing a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Just like the Denon D5000s but a bit better isolation??? - Page 2post #16 of 291/16/12 at 7:35pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 291/16/12 at 10:31pmpost #18 of 291/17/12 at 5:51amThread StarterQuote:
The only pads I have read for the Ds are part of the MarkL mod?!?
Are there any others that fit?
post #19 of 291/17/12 at 8:14amQuote:Originally Posted by gelocks
for which headphones????
@LithoJazoSphere, doesn't the PRO900 sport a 'V-shaped' sound signature?? I can't live without my mids! ;-p
At everyone else, I'll try to compare them to my current cans when I can and keep you updated. BTW, I also found some Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 cheap so both are on the way.
The D5000 already has a V-shaped frequency response, so you've been "living without your mids" anyway. The curve on the Pro 900 is a little steeper, yes, but the mids are surprisingly clear and detailed given how strong the bass is and how bright the treble is. It might put you a little further into that shape of graph than you want to, but it's not as if you're moving from a neutral can to a V-shaped one, it's just the degree of the slope of the graph. Also, the DT770 has a similar V-shape as well. But that's pretty par for the course for bassy headphones.post #20 of 291/17/12 at 8:34am
The Pro 900s leak more than the denons, the ultrasone HFI780 has some serious clamp and had great isolation but not a match for SQ of the denon unless you want a U curve sig, you could look as the ultrasone signature pro with the pads it should offer good isolation but thats just a guess.
Failing that you could get some lauton audio angle pads for the denons or J money pads to help the isolation.post #21 of 291/17/12 at 11:41ampost #22 of 291/17/12 at 12:08pmpost #23 of 291/17/12 at 12:24pm
They do isolate better than the Denons though.Quote:
Plenty of isolation but not nearly as comfy.Quote:
The lip of the pads slip over a plastic ring that locks in to place sou you could make a lot of different pads fit fairly easily. They'd probably change the sound a lot though. It might take quite a bit of experimentation to find something that sounds good and adds to the isolation. It still leaves the vent though. It lets through a lot of sound and would probably ruin the sound if you sealed it.
The W1000x would be the closest of the 'phones mentioned so far. It also has a mildly V shaped response with rich mids in the middle. Generally Beyers and Ultrasones have colder mids and a more metallic timbre then the D5000s or the W1000x.
A pair of Smeggy Thunderpants will have great mids, deep bass, and tons of isolation with the proper pads. I have my own pair of modded T50RPs and they're my favorite out of my current and past headphones.post #24 of 291/17/12 at 12:32pmpost #25 of 291/17/12 at 12:38pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by LithoJazoSphere
The D5000 already has a V-shaped frequency response, so you've been "living without your mids" anyway. The curve on the Pro 900 is a little steeper, yes, but the mids are surprisingly clear and detailed given how strong the bass is and how bright the treble is. It might put you a little further into that shape of graph than you want to, but it's not as if you're moving from a neutral can to a V-shaped one, it's just the degree of the slope of the graph. Also, the DT770 has a similar V-shape as well. But that's pretty par for the course for bassy headphones.
Oh I agree... compared with my SRH940s, the mids on the D5000 are not up to par (to my ears at least!) but they aren't as far apart either... in fact, their mids remind me a bit of the HD600s... And that's what I read regarding the DT770 and just like you said, it seems that's what happens with "bassy" headphones. Still, as long as the curve is not very steep in such a way that I cannot enjoy vocals or guitar/acoustic tracks like I want, I'll try them. Guess I'll select the best (to my ears) and most comfortable with less sound leakage/better isolation and go from there.
post #26 of 291/17/12 at 12:40pmThread StarterQuote:
I didn't know these existed (Lauton)!
Had heard of the JMoney but didn't think a change of pads would suffice...
(and it seems that by reading the other responses, I was correct in that regard,..)
post #27 of 291/17/12 at 12:43pmThread StarterQuote:
Thanks for the recs.!
Actually I really don't like IEMs!!! lol
I haven't tried all of course, but of the ones I've had/got I always have problems
with the fit... and I don't know, I guess I'm picky and don't like shoving stuff down my ear canals! :-ppost #28 of 291/17/12 at 2:03pmQuote:
I hope you find something that works out for you. Its pretty hard to find good "closed" headphones that are actually closed and have some degree of isolation. I've done my own fair share of research looking for something similar for myself.
I figured I should have at least mentioned IEMs in case they slipped your mind. They're great if you find them comfortable but not everyone does.
- Just like the Denon D5000s but a bit better isolation???
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Open Ear Headphones Under $400 50 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 1 minute ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Tennmak 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio dk1 dock and x7 3 minutes ago
- › Choices for working out/EDM music: MEElectronics M6 PRO vs. Sony... 4 minutes ago
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...