Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Good in every way, and when you recable them, they have good soundstage as well :D.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/16/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/16/12
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 1/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best closed headphones? Last post on 5/29/12 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for a closed can in $150~$300 range Last post on 10/19/11 at 5:59am in Headphones (full-size)
- n00b advice (Ultrasone 900) Last post on 10/5/11 at 2:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Going Audiophile For Gaming! Last post on 7/4/13 at 4:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- movie cans; cans for michael buble-style music; beats pro vs v-moda crossfades LP Last post on 4/3/11 at 9:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The iFi Audio Micro iDSD was sent to me by iFi with help from their Norwegian distributor Audioaktøren for the purpose of doing this review and including it in my recently started $250+ amp/DAC...
This is pretty much the same weightless, rickety, tiny player apparently offered by Kogan, oRiver, Ritmix, etc. It comes decently boxed with a soft pouch, USB cable, and nice looking (if...
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Just like the Denon D5000s but a bit better isolation??? - Page 2post #16 of 291/16/12 at 7:35pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 291/16/12 at 10:31pmpost #18 of 291/17/12 at 5:51amThread StarterQuote:
The only pads I have read for the Ds are part of the MarkL mod?!?
Are there any others that fit?
post #19 of 291/17/12 at 8:14amQuote:Originally Posted by gelocks
for which headphones????
@LithoJazoSphere, doesn't the PRO900 sport a 'V-shaped' sound signature?? I can't live without my mids! ;-p
At everyone else, I'll try to compare them to my current cans when I can and keep you updated. BTW, I also found some Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 cheap so both are on the way.
The D5000 already has a V-shaped frequency response, so you've been "living without your mids" anyway. The curve on the Pro 900 is a little steeper, yes, but the mids are surprisingly clear and detailed given how strong the bass is and how bright the treble is. It might put you a little further into that shape of graph than you want to, but it's not as if you're moving from a neutral can to a V-shaped one, it's just the degree of the slope of the graph. Also, the DT770 has a similar V-shape as well. But that's pretty par for the course for bassy headphones.post #20 of 291/17/12 at 8:34am
The Pro 900s leak more than the denons, the ultrasone HFI780 has some serious clamp and had great isolation but not a match for SQ of the denon unless you want a U curve sig, you could look as the ultrasone signature pro with the pads it should offer good isolation but thats just a guess.
Failing that you could get some lauton audio angle pads for the denons or J money pads to help the isolation.post #21 of 291/17/12 at 11:41ampost #22 of 291/17/12 at 12:08pmpost #23 of 291/17/12 at 12:24pm
They do isolate better than the Denons though.Quote:
Plenty of isolation but not nearly as comfy.Quote:
The lip of the pads slip over a plastic ring that locks in to place sou you could make a lot of different pads fit fairly easily. They'd probably change the sound a lot though. It might take quite a bit of experimentation to find something that sounds good and adds to the isolation. It still leaves the vent though. It lets through a lot of sound and would probably ruin the sound if you sealed it.
The W1000x would be the closest of the 'phones mentioned so far. It also has a mildly V shaped response with rich mids in the middle. Generally Beyers and Ultrasones have colder mids and a more metallic timbre then the D5000s or the W1000x.
A pair of Smeggy Thunderpants will have great mids, deep bass, and tons of isolation with the proper pads. I have my own pair of modded T50RPs and they're my favorite out of my current and past headphones.post #24 of 291/17/12 at 12:32pmpost #25 of 291/17/12 at 12:38pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by LithoJazoSphere
The D5000 already has a V-shaped frequency response, so you've been "living without your mids" anyway. The curve on the Pro 900 is a little steeper, yes, but the mids are surprisingly clear and detailed given how strong the bass is and how bright the treble is. It might put you a little further into that shape of graph than you want to, but it's not as if you're moving from a neutral can to a V-shaped one, it's just the degree of the slope of the graph. Also, the DT770 has a similar V-shape as well. But that's pretty par for the course for bassy headphones.
Oh I agree... compared with my SRH940s, the mids on the D5000 are not up to par (to my ears at least!) but they aren't as far apart either... in fact, their mids remind me a bit of the HD600s... And that's what I read regarding the DT770 and just like you said, it seems that's what happens with "bassy" headphones. Still, as long as the curve is not very steep in such a way that I cannot enjoy vocals or guitar/acoustic tracks like I want, I'll try them. Guess I'll select the best (to my ears) and most comfortable with less sound leakage/better isolation and go from there.
post #26 of 291/17/12 at 12:40pmThread StarterQuote:
I didn't know these existed (Lauton)!
Had heard of the JMoney but didn't think a change of pads would suffice...
(and it seems that by reading the other responses, I was correct in that regard,..)
post #27 of 291/17/12 at 12:43pmThread StarterQuote:
Thanks for the recs.!
Actually I really don't like IEMs!!! lol
I haven't tried all of course, but of the ones I've had/got I always have problems
with the fit... and I don't know, I guess I'm picky and don't like shoving stuff down my ear canals! :-ppost #28 of 291/17/12 at 2:03pmQuote:
I hope you find something that works out for you. Its pretty hard to find good "closed" headphones that are actually closed and have some degree of isolation. I've done my own fair share of research looking for something similar for myself.
I figured I should have at least mentioned IEMs in case they slipped your mind. They're great if you find them comfortable but not everyone does.
- Just like the Denon D5000s but a bit better isolation???
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 43 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Dilemma: Keep HD 700 and purchase Woo Audio WA7 2nd Gen for it, or... 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-WM1 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Review tour for SOUNDAWARE 2016M1 / M1Pro(femto)... 2 minutes ago
- › What's the best amp for HD800 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...