or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD700, Not what I expected
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD700, Not what I expected - Page 3

post #31 of 39

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpage View Post

If the cans are bad, all the more reason to ask him to review them.

 

I'm unclear on your meaning--please explain.

 

As I've said before, a lot of gear finds its way through my office (and anyone who's been to my office will confirm that as rather a conservative statement). With what time I've got, I spend overwhelmingly more time with the things I like. The things I don't like receive little more than the time or attention necessary to figure out I don't like 'em.

 

Anyone with the time or inclination to spend time with gear he doesn't like can do so. I generally don't.

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post



Uncle Erik just reviewed the Q701? Huh? This, i've got to see....Got a link?

 

He either A) Gave up his K501 and K1000 and became a Q701 fanboy like me

 

or

 

B) Felt it was the worst plasticky junk headphone he's ever heard

 

Probably B biggrin.gif


http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k701-studio-headphones

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Uncle Erik
 
Reviewed by Uncle Erikbadge_moderator.v1305918899.png
Pros: Comfortable, attractive, priced reasonably.
Cons: Godawful mids that sound artificial and plastic.

This is the only pair of headphones I bought that I was never able to warm up to.  The reason for this is that the mids - especially vocals - take on an unnatural, artificial and plasticky sound.  They never sounded true to life and began to grate on me after short listening periods.  They were OK for instrumental music, but even then, the tonality was off in the mids.

 

What's disappointing is that AKG dropped the K-501 and K-1000, and gave us this.  The K-701/2 is nothing like AKG's previous efforts.  I have the K-1000, K-340 and K-240DF, and used to have the K-501.  All of those got the midrange right.  I was expecting to love the K-701 as well, but like I said, the artificial tonality in the mids completely ruined them for me.

 

Strangely, the K-601 sounds halfway decent the times I've listened to it and I remain hopeful that AKG will introduce a model that gets the mids right.  They used to have some of the best mids of any manufacturer.

 

 

post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

 

... With what time I've got, I spend overwhelmingly more time with the things I like. The things I don't like receive little more than the time or attention necessary to figure out I don't like 'em.

 

Anyone with the time or inclination to spend time with gear he doesn't like can do so. I generally don't.


x2

 

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizura View Post


The HD700 also has an impedance of only 150 ohm compared to 300 ohm for the HD6x0 which suggests it's a different beast.

 

Not necessarily.  The RS220 has the HD650 driver, but has an impedance of only 150 ohms.  That said, it has already been established that the HD700 does not use an HD650 driver.

post #35 of 39


I think you meant the HD600, not the HD650.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoHoldini View Post

 

Not necessarily.  The RS220 has the HD650 driver, but has an impedance of only 150 ohms.  That said, it has already been established that the HD700 does not use an HD650 driver.



 

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post


I think you meant the HD600, not the HD650.
 



 

 

Maurice Quarré of Sennheiser told Jude that he used the HD650 transducer for the RS220, so I based my comment on that.  Do you have information to the contrary?

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by iElmer View Post

To put it simply, these cans are a step down in performance compared to the 800's. 


 

Aren't they "supposed" to be?

 

The 800s are $1500 and the 700s are $1000.

post #38 of 39


Yea, my mistake.  Sorry about that.  However it does list they were based on the HD 600 series as a whole on their website.  I thought it was based on the HD 600 as is.  http://www.sennheiserusa.com/wireless-audiophile-headphones-rs220-502029
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoHoldini View Post

 

Maurice Quarré of Sennheiser told Jude that he used the HD650 transducer for the RS220, so I based my comment on that.  Do you have information to the contrary?



 

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post


Yea, my mistake.  Sorry about that.  However it does list they were based on the HD 600 series as a whole on their website.  I thought it was based on the HD 600 as is.  http://www.sennheiserusa.com/wireless-audiophile-headphones-rs220-502029


 


No worries.  I thought the same thing you did, until I saw Jude's interview with Quarré.  It's a reasonable assumption to make. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD700, Not what I expected