yeh i can not wait now and it really sounds unique what i like inn an earphone! Where do you post you reviews out of interest!
New Australian audio company Audiofly! - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I will post my first full review here (not in this thread, but a separate posting since I will be talking about the whole line of products pretty much). I also write for a few music magazines. Working out details on that now. I'll let you know which publication(s) I finalize with in posting a review for later down the road.
No, I don't have the whole line yet, but just about. We'll see how it works out. As I've state here before, however, the products perform beyond the price categories (I am not making that statement about the AF78 yet, as I need more time to analyze the sound signature and compare it to other IEMs in its price range).
- 3,288 Posts. Joined 6/2009
- Location: Melbourne (Aus)
- Select All Posts By This User
So the Audiofly AF78 sample came in today. Hmmmm? I don't want say too much right now as I need quite a bit more time with it (and save the bulk for my review on the Audiofly line of products. I have them all except for the AF56 at the moment). So I will share some things I have shared with Audiofly, and a couple things I'm writing here for the first time:
- First, I don't think this sample is the finished product. This AF78 sample I have has the braided cable, but there seems to be a smooth-looking flat cable on the AF78 pictured on Audiofly's website. The braided cable is of great quality (from what I can tell so far), but it can be quite microphonic when moving around (especially without a shirt clip). Ironically, it's not too bad when the music is playing.
- The AF78's sound signature is uniquely interesting. I have to say it is not what I was expecting to hear (although I can't put it in detailed terms right now what I was exactly expecting to hear). I'm still trying to get use to the sound signature. The bass is not as heavy as it is in the AF45, for example, in general listening, but the bass comes in with plenty punch and attack when called upon in a recording. There is no muddiness in the bass (as is true with the 45 and the 33), and there is nice clarity. Vocals and mids are wonderful (Audiofly seems to concentrate its tuning in bass and mids regions. I love the kick drum's pounding and the snap of the snare drum). I wonder if this is how the bass sounded for those who heard the 78 at the CES in Vegas, or did they tune the bass down some (I thought I read about a more heavier bass)?
Separation of instruments is quite nice. I was expecting the treble to be harsher than what it is (this is a good thing because I personally don't like harsh highs). Nice slam on the snare drums and guitars (although the electric guitars sit back a little bit in the mix). I haven't had a chance to hear acoustic guitar with the AF78 yet.
- The stem of the AF78 sits a bit awkward in my ear (it kind of reminds of a thicker long nozzle fit of the Klipsch Custom 3). the nozzle doesn't sit deep into the ear canal like say the W4 (with proper long tips on it). The body seems like it wants to sit flush in the inner fold of my earlobes, but doesn't quite get there. Of course, everyone will have a different fit than I'm having. I actually got a deeper fit wearing the AF78 over my ears, but it's clearly designed not to be worn in that manner.
In general, a thumbs up thus far. Most of you know I believe in burn in, so I'll give these a decent burn in before making any solid thoughts and impressions. The above impressions are very general and are subject to change in the full review, but I can say that I've found Audiofly's products to perform quite a bit above its MSRP categories. This is especially true for the 33 and 45 (especially the AF45). It's a bit too early to make that claim for the AF78, but I see signs of it headed in that direction. Special thank yous to Carol and the Audiofly company for allowing me to sample their products and having an opportunity to give them a full review. Our Aussie mates are on the right track in competing in this congested IEM market. Happy listening.
b) The cable on your sample is our mass production spec. The original flat cable had some problems with it, so we reworked this as a round cable featuring a Cordura® Nylon braid which protects and enhances the strain relief of the cable, but we've also manufactured the internal conductors in a twisted arrangement which has better noise cancelling (electro-magnetic interference) properties. To us, a round cable makes more technical sense than a flat cable, despite market trends towards flat cables.
These are our pre-production AF78 samples we have made specifically for key media and bloggers. They are not contained in the final retail packaging that will be available when the product is released to the market it in approximately one month.
so it sounds like the cable is final, and maybe the reviewer/retail difference is just the packaging (I'm clarifying the latter)
maaan I should get my one tomorrow or Fri
Edited by svyr - 5/9/12 at 1:56am
Thanks for updating this, svyr. Actually my Audiofly contact informed me later on in the day after my initial impressions that these are indeed the final cables. And while there is some microphonics in the cables leading into each monitor, I have to say that I don't hear any microphonics from the cables while the music is playing and I'm walking around. The cable is quite thick and well-made. Okay, back to listening and burning in this IEM. Oh, by the way, the AF78 sample is basically the IEM and not the whole package. This is good for me as a reviewer since I'm more interested in the sound of the product more than anything. I will, however, get into the aesthetics of the AF78, and have requested that some photos of the completed product be sent to me.
For those interested in purchasing one in the next month when one is release then here is what it will have.
portable storage tin
sound port cleaning brush
line-spliter (enabling 2 people to listen)
A range of ear tips:
4 silicon tips - S/M/M/L
2 foam tips - M/L
In other words it's pretty packed!
Awesome, It'll be great to get some more impressions! I'm desperate for some new IEM's as I'm sick of my CX300's. I am seriously considering getting the AF78's, but as nobody has a full review on them yet, I can't really compare against the competition :/
I will also stick them on my IEM round up so that you can get a goo comparison with other earphones!