Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The KRK KNS-8400(and 6400) Appreciation Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The KRK KNS-8400(and 6400) Appreciation Thread! - Page 2

post #16 of 34

I like to chime in my appreciation for the 6400, I don't have 8400 so I can't really comment.  I've got it plugged into a Yamaha AVR and let it absorbed all kinds of stuff from HD radios for well over a week!  When I first cracked open the box and listened to a few tracks of my favorites, I couldn't hear some of the instrumental separations (soundstage) everyone was talking about - and I'm not so sure I can either after well over 7 days of continuous burned-in.  Also the lower frequencies sounded muted and subdued, more so than I thought.  Other than that, clarity in the highs and mids are awesome -- though mids sound somewhat lack of robustness, but clear.

 

Perhaps my ears are tuned to less stellar cans, akin to K81DJ.  For some odd reason, I enjoy my re-cabled K81DJ more than I enjoy 6400.  Yes, I removed the foam pad immediately after I received it.  I still have it but contemplate on selling it.  I got it for $80US of eBay.

 

 

post #17 of 34
Hello smily_headphones1.gif a soon-to-be appreciator of 8400 (hopefully). Im really on the fence about making the purchase. The fact that these will be my first pair certainly doesnt make it easier.

I think ive heard more than enough praise on the forums. What im concerned about are its shortcomings. The big issues seem to come down to:

1. Piercing trebles. people seem to have very conflicting impressions about this issue. Ranging from pleasing and "smooth" to downright unacceptably fatiguing. One of the reviews listed in the Topic even says the highs "certainly arent the emphasized part of the spectrum"(r-audiohead) while one of the off site reviews say its a bit too fatiguing for out-of-studio listening. Im very confused, especially with little frame of reference on my part. Bottom line for me is wether or not these would be fatiguing? I like to listen to ambient, classical, electronic, rock. Listed in order of preference.

2.being overly-unforgivingly-detailed. While the thought of being able to hear dogs barking outside the concert hall is amusing, i cant imagine it doing much good for immersion. Im rather easily distracted, and bringing out the sound of performers sniffling and clearing their throats would definitely distract me from enjoying the track. Is this a real issue?


Those are my big concerns. Impressions on bass and soundstage seem to be conflicting as well, but i think i wont be too picky on that, especially since im coming from listening on earbuds mostly.

I would love to hear some thoughts from you guys. Like i said these will be my first full sized cans biggrin.gif
Or, if by any chance, you have other cans to recommend in the price range based on my music preference, that is welcome as well!
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle emperor View Post

Hello smily_headphones1.gif a soon-to-be appreciator of 8400 (hopefully). Im really on the fence about making the purchase. The fact that these will be my first pair certainly doesnt make it easier.
I think ive heard more than enough praise on the forums. What im concerned about are its shortcomings. The big issues seem to come down to:
1. Piercing trebles. people seem to have very conflicting impressions about this issue. Ranging from pleasing and "smooth" to downright unacceptably fatiguing. One of the reviews listed in the Topic even says the highs "certainly arent the emphasized part of the spectrum"(r-audiohead) while one of the off site reviews say its a bit too fatiguing for out-of-studio listening. Im very confused, especially with little frame of reference on my part. Bottom line for me is wether or not these would be fatiguing? I like to listen to ambient, classical, electronic, rock. Listed in order of preference.
2.being overly-unforgivingly-detailed. While the thought of being able to hear dogs barking outside the concert hall is amusing, i cant imagine it doing much good for immersion. Im rather easily distracted, and bringing out the sound of performers sniffling and clearing their throats would definitely distract me from enjoying the track. Is this a real issue?
Those are my big concerns. Impressions on bass and soundstage seem to be conflicting as well, but i think i wont be too picky on that, especially since im coming from listening on earbuds mostly.
I would love to hear some thoughts from you guys. Like i said these will be my first full sized cans biggrin.gif
Or, if by any chance, you have other cans to recommend in the price range based on my music preference, that is welcome as well!


I don't think the treble is emphasized at all. For me it's only fatiguing when it's due to the actual recording being garbage. If it's a very poorly mastered album, it can be nearly unlistenable. In the past I'd probably blame the headphones, but it's not their fault. I can switch to another headphone like the Q701 and it's just as bad. I don't think the Q701 has fatiguing treble AT ALL, but the KRK KNS-8400 has even smoother treble. It's not treble like the Grado SR-325is or DT-990. It's so annoying how on even some of my Jpop album they must crank up the mids and treble at the studio or something. Even sometimes the vocals are ear piercing. Basically on ANY fairly accurate headphone.

 

I think the first pair I had way back in 2010 had some issues. It makes no sense why a headphone should have been that fatiguing out of the box. This third pair (in the clear plastic internal shell) had perfect treble out of the box. Again, if it's the recordings fault, the 8400 won't try and make it sound any better or "tame" them. For that I can use my HD-598.

 

I don't find these to be excessively detailed. Sure, they have the most detail I've ever had in a headphone, but not enough to be a problem. I'd like to find other detail monsters and see how they compare.

 

As long as you don't have tons of lower quality tracks, they should be fine. I remember when I had my old DT-880 I went through my entire collection and weeded out all the bad tracks. I don't think you'll have to do that with the KNS-8400!

 

At this price I haven't found much that's comparable or better. My Koss Pro DJ100 holds up very well, but is slightly less clear, but has way more bass and less treble. If anything ever tops that headphone it will soon be the 8400.

post #19 of 34
Thread Starter 

Well,detail could be distracting if you listen to classical.You can hear musicians leaf through score pages,for example.Sometimes you can hear the movement of the violin bow as much as the actual sound,which can be also distracting.For everything else,it's nice to hear more things.Gaming(Skyrim) is a bliss.

post #20 of 34

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered them. these guys have a pretty generous return policy so i can just return it if i happen to dislike them, but I think ill like them. wink.gif

post #21 of 34

can anyone help me get the ear cushions/pads/cups off? I'm having the hardest time & I feel like I'm going to break them.  (kns 8400)

post #22 of 34

Just got my 8400s Saturday. So far? I think I'm happier with these than I would have been with the V-Moda M-80s I was considering, and I'm definitely liking them more than my SRH840s.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundslikebliss View Post
 

can anyone help me get the ear cushions/pads/cups off? I'm having the hardest time & I feel like I'm going to break them.  (kns 8400)

Don't worry about breaking the pads. The flange that holds them under the teeth is stiff but it will flex if you push it in towards the middle. Be careful of the retaining teeth, though. Those may break if you pull the pads away from the shells. Look here, page 15:

 

http://www.krksys.com/manuals/headphones/kns_manual_eng.pdf

post #23 of 34

My KNS8400 arrived Saturday. I'm almost astonished by the details I can hear that I never knew were there in the songs.

 

The treble is bright, but 30 hours of burn in has made it tolerable. If it continues to improve, I'll keep it considering that it's so much clearer, more open sounding, and more comfortable than the only other closed model I like, SRH840. (I think it's no coincidence that KRK used the same numbers but added a zero.)

 

The one intolerable problem, something other listeners have noticed too, is the microphone -- I mean cable. Does anyone know of some good cables for it? I'll be grateful for your advice.

post #24 of 34
Quote:
The one intolerable problem, something other listeners have noticed too, is the microphone -- I mean cable. Does anyone know of some good cables for it? I'll be grateful for your advice.

I just wrap up the cable in a loop and tie it together with a bit of velcro strap. Keeping the cable organized does wonders for microphonics.

 

I've looked into cable mods but nobody has done any that I can find with Google. Worst case, you can get a spare cable for about $10, clip the last 6" or so with the micro plug, and solder on your own jack.

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
 

I just wrap up the cable in a loop and tie it together with a bit of velcro strap. Keeping the cable organized does wonders for microphonics.

 

I've looked into cable mods but nobody has done any that I can find with Google. Worst case, you can get a spare cable for about $10, clip the last 6" or so with the micro plug, and solder on your own jack.

 

Thank you ratinox. I'd been keeping it looped, but there's still too much interference for me. I'd rather not have to make a cable, unless there's no alternative. So I'm still hoping that someone knows of an easier solution.

post #26 of 34

I haven't found any third-party KNS cables, and I'm not the first to go looking.

 

The stock cable is long enough that you could easily feed it down the back of your shirt or a jacket. I haven't tried that with my 8400's but it works well enough for in-ears.

 

I just remembered that the box includes a mostly useless in-line volume attenuator. It has the same 2.5mm plug with twist lock which makes it perfect for a little adapter cable if nothing else works well enough for you.

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
 

I haven't found any third-party KNS cables, and I'm not the first to go looking.

 

The stock cable is long enough that you could easily feed it down the back of your shirt or a jacket. I haven't tried that with my 8400's but it works well enough for in-ears.

 

I just remembered that the box includes a mostly useless in-line volume attenuator. It has the same 2.5mm plug with twist lock which makes it perfect for a little adapter cable if nothing else works well enough for you.

 

This review, http://www.head-fi.org/t/618534/krk-kns-8400-review#post_8532946, mentions the AKG Q460 and includes a photo, but the photo looks to me like the stock cable. (Even if it works, I won't use it if it's lime green because that stands out too much for me.)

 

I just asked on the cable forum, and will forward any helpful replies.

post #28 of 34

Ah, I see. He's using the KRK attenuator cable, a AKG 2.5mm plug to 3.5mm jack adapter cable, and a Fiio (I think) 3.5mm right angle plug to 3.5mm right angle plug interconnect cable.

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
 

Ah, I see. He's using the KRK attenuator cable, a AKG 2.5mm plug to 3.5mm jack adapter cable, and a Fiio (I think) 3.5mm right angle plug to 3.5mm right angle plug interconnect cable.

 

I don't know how well that works because I think Q460 has a double-sided lock like K450 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/511074/akg-k450-cable#post_6973148) as opposed to the single-sided lock on KNS8400. I also wouldn't want to use the volume control. I hope there's an easier way.


Edited by Claritas - 12/2/13 at 3:21pm
post #30 of 34

Try it and see. Cables are cheap enough unless you're ordering custom.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The KRK KNS-8400(and 6400) Appreciation Thread!