I could only find a few very short threads on the subject, and only one or two owners who made only short passing comments. Was wondering if anyone's heard it and could give a more detailed description? I'm looking to get a tube amp sometime in the coming months with a budget of ~$300, and am taking a hard look at the Bellari because it has pretty much the exact same dimensions as my Matrix Cube. Put side by side they would be perfectly matching and symmetrical, and how cool is that! Seriously though, any info would be appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- "Cheap" Tube amp recommendations Last post on 11/11/12 at 11:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need some help making a decison... Last post on 9/18/12 at 1:39am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What are the differences between these amps? Last post on 7/20/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube Rolling for Bellari HA540 Last post on 6/14/16 at 7:40am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot 1+ vs Hifiman EF2A vs Bellari HA540 Last post on 7/14/12 at 9:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/823483/hifiman-re-00-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: OMFG...
- Headphone Impedance
Anyone have experience with the Bellari HA540?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I own one and use it often.The 540 has tons of gain, low noise floor and It sounds great with my DT990's and my Grados, tones down the highs and brings out the mids. Tube rolling with the Bellari is always fun because the sound varies so much from tube to tube. I highly reccomend it. You can find it for under 250 if you look around. the only two things I do not like about the amp is the stock Ruby tube it comes with is very bland, and the output jack is in the back (not that big of a deal but annoying).
Edited by Fearless1 - 1/11/12 at 12:13am
The tubes I have tried are: Vintage Mullard, Old RCA (great but low gain), Amperex BB, and most of the newer ones, but the Sylvania provided the sound I was looking for. The 990s are the pros, 250 ohm. The 540 sounds great with all my collection, but it shines with the 990's, seems to widen the soundstage and "fixes" what I find a bit wrong with them the shrill highs and the lack of mids.
Fearless1, I noticed on your profile it says you also have a Qinpu A6000 MKII. That's also one of the amps I've been considering. Any idea how they compare in headphone performance?
The Qinpu sounds ok, but it sounds almost soild state as compared to the 540. The Bellari is much more robust or lush sounding and true to a tube sound. What cans are you looking to power?
Edited by Fearless1 - 1/11/12 at 1:47pm
You don't sound too enthusiastic about it, haha. So besides the fact that it sounds more solid state, do you think the Qinpu is a lesser amp, or just different? The A3 got good reviews from Skylab and HeadphoneAddict, so I was hoping the A6000 was equally as good because its speaker driving capabilities may or may not come in very handy for me. Having the best quality headphone amp possible is my first priority though. Currently I have some Hifiman HE-300 and Brainwavz HM5, both low impedance, and I'm thinking about getting something else soon as well. Not sure exactly what, though Grado and Audio Technica are towards the top of that list.
It only has 1 output. It has two different inputs for higher or lower gain sources. Specs say 1W at 16 ohms, but I don't know much about the HE-5LE.
Am driving my Hifiman HE-500 with the Belllari HA540 using a Tung-Sol 12AT7 NOS tube (though most likely a UOS - but man does it sound good). The HA540 has tons of gain as others have attested, a lower gain tube is highly recommended. I tried several going all the way down to 12AU7s (20% gain compared to a 12AX7). The sweet spot seemed to be the 12AT7s. The 12AU7s tended to give a laid back sound and lose some of the detail. The 12AX7s do not provide enough headroom for gain control and tend to be sharp and grainy.
Now to sound: I would describe the sound coming out of the Bellari as full-bodied and rich with all the details fully there - but that is also likely due to the Hifiman HE-500s which are just fantastic headphones. My volume level for the Hifiman is sitting at about 10 o'clock so there is lots of driving room left. I don't feel the amp is being strained at all and the HE-500s are getting all the juice they need and are really showcasing themselves. Just beautifully lush, liquid, sweet and crystal clear!
This is a highly underrated amp, I think mostly because the well-known reviewers haven't tried it yet. I have a sneaking feeling it would blow a lot of their high-end gear out of the water (given the right tube swap). I tried the Hifiman EF5 with the HE-500s at the same time as the Bellari and it was no contest. The Bellari was just more detailed, warmer and lush. I thought the Hifiman HE-500s would pair better with a close namesake but it didn't.
The Bellari HA540 is very sensitive to tube swaps, which I guess also means it's quite neutral - tube rolling fun - thankfully it only has one tube - otherwise to the tube rolling stress asylum we go! One tube is all I can cope with at the moment. If you get the amp waste no time in getting the stock Ruby tube swapped out. The amp is a real hidden gem awaiting discovery --- keep the love.
My 2 cents based on recent purchase of a Bellari 540. I bought it for a bedroom rig I wanted to put together. I have to tell you, with the right tube and phones I have enjoyed this amp soooo much, to me the sound is crisper, clearer, with more micro details, than my main rig, which includes a tube amp costing 10 X the Bellari. May be digital source is better than CD's is part of it. But I have a Cowon X7 player filled with FLAC files, Ultrasone Ed. 8's with Signal Cable 1/4 to RCA cable. the sound is unbelievable. I've been into this stuff for 40 years btw. I tube rolled and to me the sweet spot was found with an Amperex Bugle Boy. Plenty of gain form y HIFI MAN LE-5's btw.
- Anyone have experience with the Bellari HA540?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Music Game IX 8 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 47 seconds ago
- › The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here! 50 seconds ago
- › Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9! 59 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 1 minute ago
- › 2016 Autumn Tokyo Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival October 22-23 1 minute ago
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 3 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone by InternPrimas
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...