or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews - Page 56  

post #826 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

I've been keeping up with this thread but haven't had much to contribute until now. I had a bit of a "breakthrough" with the ASG-1 yesterday. I had been pretty satisfied with the sound and fit while using a dual flange tip, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try some others. After a few mediocre results, I ended up finding my perfect match. 

 

Unfortunately I don't know where these tips came from. I keep all spare tips in a collection together and I can't recall when these were added. They look like the medium Sony hybrids with the green inner section, but I know they aren't from a real Sony product. Anyways, these were the missing link I needed to get great sound and great comfort from the ASG-1.

 

I was listening to Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens (a perfect example of music sounding great despite using very low budget recording equipment) and the ASG-1 sounded up there with some of the better customs I've encountered. This album is full of unique sounds, from wind chimes to wine glasses used as instruments, and some interestingly complex arrangements. The ASG-1 gave it a "live" feeling, had plenty of low end extension, and did the voice just right. The only thing that I didn't care for was a bit of a "ringing" type feel on some of the upper mids, though it wasn't too objectionable. I'm hearing them generally the same as ericp10 is.

 

I've decided to close up the adjustments on my AS-1b and focus on the similarities/differences between the custom and the universal. I think that is more relevant to the discussion at the moment, rather than trying to "figure out" all the variations of the AS-1b. So far I believe they are pretty close in general sound quality. The main difference I'm hearing is the low frequency reproduction - through bone conduction or possibly just a superior seal, the AS-1b seems more effortless and lifelike when reproducing lows. Not that the volume is much different, but the quality is just better. I also hear a bit more in terms of layering and instrument separation. Basically it is the same sound, just further refined. Without taking the venting and bass adjustment options into consideration, I would say the extra $100 jump in price from ASG-1 to AS-1 is worth it. Especially considering the free impression kit which allows you to avoid audiologist fees. That said, I'm very glad Aurisonics offers the universal version , as there are plenty of benefits to going that route. 

 

 

Those tips sound a lot like the Radio Shack Auvio silicone tips. They are almost identical to the Sony. 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10788687
 

 

post #827 of 2761

So, I've sent my impressions off to Aurisonics yesterday. I'm ready for the next phase - custom tips for the ASG-1 and one of their customs (this will be my next custom). 

 

I am still blown away by the ASG-1 and will probably write a full on review when I get custom tips (I would prefer to be able to compare with a custom of theirs too). I haven't been this happy with an IEM since the first time I heard the 1964-Q. 

 

In the meantime, I have had to give the ASG-1 a little break as I have some universals that have rolled in that I'm obligated to review. Not on the same level as the ASG-1, but a couple will blow minds at the price points they're selling for.

post #828 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat2na View Post

Those tips sound a lot like the Radio Shack Auvio silicone tips. They are almost identical to the Sony. 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10788687
 

 

 

Yes. Those are what I've been using.

post #829 of 2761

How many of you are have (or will have) both the AS-1 and the ASG-1?

post #830 of 2761

well i received mine today !!! Not going to post impressions until tonight, just wanted to comment on the package itself.

 

Everything is put in the small otterbox case, packaging is really no frills, you have the earphones, 3 sets of single flange tips (s,m,l), one piece of paper stating the product, no fancy big box, no cleaning tool, no airline adaptor, its just pure business.

 

That Otterbox case .......... man is it irritating to open, spent almost 30 mins just trying open the damn thing, and busted my nails and fingers while going at it. I checked out their website, and they sell for 12 $, much like how westone/shure charges for their cases but the otterbox is built way better (except for the fact its hard to open), made in usa, waterproof and darn right indestructible in my hands or whatever i can throw at it.

 

As for the asg-1 themselves, i can see how people have had fit issues with these, thankfully, my ear canals are large enough ( med - large ) to accomodate them. I think the issue may not be on the big shape of the earpiece itself but the fact that the stem is so short and wide; they are awfully short, which requires more effort on putting on tips. For people who use size small tips and/or prefer long and thin nozzles ala other BA's, you may have issues with the fit. I'm only speculating as i don't have this problem, but some ppl had fit issues, and some don't, your mileage may vary. I could push them further in my ear, but they benefit from having a shallow fit, strangely enough, they seem to isolate just as much as the big boys.

 

They don't sit as flush as some pics i have seen, or at least i would like, but thats probably due to the shape of my ear, yet i am still able to get a good seal even with the included tips, and the wires are nice like westones'. The memory wire on these, is very bendable/pliable and able to hold its shape without any problems; none of that cable hate that came with the triple fi.

 

Nothing is compromised, build quality and looks are top notch.

 


Edited by gduck - 2/22/12 at 3:24pm
post #831 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47-whaaa View Post

How many of you are have (or will have) both the AS-1 and the ASG-1?



I have to have conversation with Dale to see if he thinks it is worth it to have the AS-1 if you have the ASG-1 and are going to purchase the AS-2 eventually. Tempting is the AS-1b with the ports on it.

post #832 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post



I have to have conversation with Dale to see if he thinks it is worth it to have the AS-1 if you have the ASG-1 and are going to purchase the AS-2 eventually. Tempting is the AS-1b with the ports on it.

hmm I'll see if I can be a guinea pig then :D ...Now for the money...
 

 

post #833 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47-whaaa View Post


How many of you are have (or will have) both the AS-1 and the ASG-1?




 

 



I have both ASG-1 and AS-1b. Any specific questions?
post #834 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post

well i received mine today !!! Not going to post impressions until tonight, just wanted to comment on the package itself.

 

Everything is put in the small otterbox case, packaging is really no frills, you have the earphones, 3 sets of single flange tips (s,m,l), one piece of paper stating the product, no fancy big box, no cleaning tool, no airline adaptor, its just pure business.

 

That Otterbox case .......... man is it irritating to open, spent almost 30 mins just trying open the damn thing, and busted my nails and fingers while going at it. I checked out their website, and they sell for 12 $, much like how westone/shure charges for their cases but the otterbox is built way better (except for the fact its hard to open), made in usa, waterproof and darn right indestructible in my hands or whatever i can throw at it.

 

As for the asg-1 themselves, i can see how people have had fit issues with these, thankfully, my ear canals are large enough ( med - large ) to accomodate them. I think the issue may not be on the big shape of the earpiece itself but the fact that the stem is so short and wide; they are awfully short, and even when trying on other tips, you really have to tug down on them as the short stem may make the tips slip off. For people who use size small tips and/or prefer long and thin nozzles ala other BA's, you may have issues with the fit. I could push them further in my ear, but they benefit from having a shallow fit, strangely enough, they seem to isolate just as much as the big boys.

 

They don't sit as flush as some pics i have seen, or at least i would like, but thats probably due to the shape of my ear, yet i am still able to get a good seal even with the included tips, and the wires are nice like westones'. The memory wire on these, is very bendable/pliable and able to hold its shape without any problems; none of that cable hate that came with the triple fi.

 

Nothing is compromised, build quality and looks are top notch.

 


I have relatively smaller ears and use both small and medium tips depending on the brand, and I have not had any issues with the nozzle compromising my choice of tips.  At present,  I'm using small Monster gel supertips.  I will write of these things in the thread I started discussing tip choice once I get a better grasp on these phones and their sound.

 

post #835 of 2761


I have a question... What's the difference in sound (if you had the bass ports tuned equally to match the ASG-1)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47-whaaa View Post


How many of you are have (or will have) both the AS-1 and the ASG-1?



 

 


I have both ASG-1 and AS-1b. Any specific questions?


 

post #836 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47-whaaa View Post


How many of you are have (or will have) both the AS-1 and the ASG-1?



 

 


I have both ASG-1 and AS-1b. Any specific questions?



Not really, just curious

post #837 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post


I have a question... What's the difference in sound (if you had the bass ports tuned equally to match the ASG-1)?



 



+1.....and can you expand on the difference in sound?  I am close to purchasing the AS-1 after I hear some feedback comparing both!

 

post #838 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post

I think the issue may not be on the big shape of the earpiece itself but the fact that the stem is so short and wide; they are awfully short, and even when trying on other tips, you really have to tug down on them as the short stem may make the tips slip off. For people who use size small tips and/or prefer long and thin nozzles ala other BA's, you may have issues with the fit.

 

 

I normally select small/medium tips so i'm a little concerned too about the stem size.

 

Can someone get a photo up of the AKSG-1 without the tip on so I can see what the stem looks like ?

 

I wonder if Sensorcom dual flange tips with their longer stems could help out here ?

 

On the down side they are supposed to be rather flimsy & susceptible to collapsing when inserting.

 

post #839 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by archy121 View Post

 

Can someone get a photo up of the AKSG-1 without the tip on so I can see what the stem looks like ?

 

 



20120222_152646.jpg

 

...with small gel monster supertips.

post #840 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0o0o View Post

The whole International shipping issue is getting really old. I think its been proven a number of times that Springtree is not in anyway gouging prices through shipping.

 

If you can't handle covering the shipping costs, hold off on buying and hope a local dealer pops up... 


Guys, still this conversation???!!! Come on! Lets focus on the IEM, ok? : )

 


Edited by miow - 2/22/12 at 2:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews