Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews - Page 28  

post #406 of 2761

Since it has come up, I am very interested in a comparison between the ASG-1 and Atrios, and not just in sub-bass extension.

 

Thanks!


Edited by Bazirker - 2/16/12 at 6:14pm
post #407 of 2761

^I'll try to do some compare/contrast later tonight.  You can't go wrong with either one, but for me the ASG-1 takes the cake. I'll try to explain why, so stay tuned.

post #408 of 2761

Can anyone do a comparison to a UM remolded 6 driver TF10? Bahahahaha.

 

Or just measure how tall their ASGs are top to bottom.

post #409 of 2761

Hmmm, so these are something akin to a turbocharged SM3 then? I guess there won't be much of an adjustment moving between the two then, that's certainly good to hear. The only real issue I had with the SM3 was it didn't extend as low as I'd like, the treble could have a touch more presence, and most of all, the build quality could be better (coming from a V1). I'm hoping I find these to be a substantial upgrade over the SM3 (since I can't return them after all). Which... I suppose could go either way, since there's the law of diminishing returns in effect, but on the other hand, you've got some people comparing them to customs... 

post #410 of 2761

.


Edited by shotgunshane - 4/2/12 at 10:48am
post #411 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

 

It's been a while since I owned the SM3, so I can't really say its an upgrade.  I can say the ASG-1 bass does seem to have very good extension, especially at louder volumes.  In fact you can turn these up very loud and not have worry with piercing treble, yet maintains good sparkle at both low and high volumes.

 

Ah, thanks for the impressions. I see you've got a custom to compare them to, the Merlins. Can you provide any quick impressions on how they stack up to the Merlins? I'm guessing the bass response doesn't have anything on the Merlins, which are reputed to be quite excellent by customs standards

 

post #412 of 2761

.


Edited by shotgunshane - 4/2/12 at 10:48am
post #413 of 2761

@shotgunshane

Just something I'm trying to wrap my head around: when you say no forward projection, is that the same as no depth or not being able to throw cues far out if they are far away in the recording?

post #414 of 2761

.


Edited by shotgunshane - 4/2/12 at 10:49am
post #415 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post


I'll try and do that this weekend.  I want to give myself more time to become accustomed to the Aurisonics house sound.

 



Awesome, much appreciated Shane. I've had my eye on the Merlins as my upgrade moving forward into customs, so it'll be interesting to see whether Aurisonics lives up to their claim of rivaling their peers' multi arm configurations. I guess crazier things have happened, as some folks here believe the single driver MG6Pro exceeds even the Heir 8.A, so this isn't without precedent. If they fall short of the mark (which is what I'm expecting, it'll be interesting to see just what an extra $600 will net you in terms of improvements with the Merlins, or whether the law of diminishing returns will be effect there as well. I won't be able to tell as I wont' have customs to compare them to once they arrive on Monday/Tuesday

 

Edit: wow... the no forward projection observation really makes these seem similar to the SM3... me likey


Edited by Idsynchrono_24 - 2/16/12 at 7:47pm
post #416 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post



Awesome, much appreciated Shane. I've had my eye on the Merlins as my upgrade moving forward into customs, so it'll be interesting to see whether Aurisonics lives up to their claim of rivaling their peers' multi arm configurations. I guess crazier things have happened, as some folks here believe the single driver MG6Pro exceeds even the Heir 8.A, so this isn't without precedent. If they fall short of the mark (which is what I'm expecting, it'll be interesting to see just what an extra $600 will net you in terms of improvements with the Merlins, or whether the law of diminishing returns will be effect there as well. I won't be able to tell as I wont' have customs to compare them to once they arrive on Monday/Tuesday

 

Edit: wow... the no forward projection observation really makes these seem similar to the SM3... me likey

You're aware that a dynamic driver is different than a balanced armature, yes?
 

 

post #417 of 2761

How do these compare to the UM3X?  The UM3X will my next purchase but I just had to click on this thread and now it's making me hesitant. 

post #418 of 2761


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

You're aware that a dynamic driver is different than a balanced armature, yes?
 

 



Yeah, of course. I own representatives of each type, and can acknowledge that the best of each type can possess characteristics of the other, while at the same time, not exceed traits that a certain driver type is known for. So while the SM3 does have what I consider to be "dynamic driver-like" bass, I wouldn't ever say that it hits with as much force as the FX500 or DDM, just that the bass is rounded, and has good impact to supplement its articulation. It won't move as much air, but it feels much more like a dynamic than say... the Ety ER-4. Same in that a dynamic can possess good transient speeds that would easily rival a BA as would be the case with phones such as the SA5000. Different tech for sure, but the best of the best isn't so easily pigeonholed in terms of technical performance. 

post #419 of 2761

Hey guys. For those who have a massive tip collection.  Does it sound like a good idea to have a separate thread to collect all the experimented tips and which ones work the best and why? Kinda of similar to what Bazirker did with the Atrio tips.  I would start it, but I think it makes more sense for someone who already has an amassed tip collection to bring life to the ASG-1 tip rolling thread.  Anyone care to do the honors?  I know the Sony (fake or not) hybrid tips seems to achieve good results, and I'll be getting the UE tips.

post #420 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaphoenix View Post

Hey guys. For those who have a massive tip collection.  Does it sound like a good idea to have a separate thread to collect all the experimented tips and which ones work the best and why? Kinda of similar to what Bazirker did with the Atrio tips.  I would start it, but I think it makes more sense for someone who already has an amassed tip collection to bring life to the ASG-1 tip rolling thread.  Anyone care to do the honors?  I know the Sony (fake or not) hybrid tips seems to achieve good results, and I'll be getting the UE tips.



I'm considering picking up a pair of these...if no one has done it by the time I get mine, I'll get it going!

 

I really should go update my OP in that Atrio thread too...too much stuff to do

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews