or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews - Page 132  

post #1966 of 2761
Thread Starter 

Hey, Tried to clean up the initial post. Let me know of major posts I've missed.

 

Also, just received the ASG-1s with filters going to let these burn in for a while. But initial impressions seem promising.

 

The soundstage seems to have changed a little with the filters, but not reduced in anyway. The tracks where the vocals seemed to be emerging from behind are now more centered. 

 

The mid have definitely been reduced, I actually had gotten used to the forward mid's (they didn't bother me anymore) but this definitely makes things much easier on the ears for long listening. The vocals are still forward but seem to blend into the music much better. I no longer felt that for any of the songs, the background music was added as an after thought which occasionally occurred with songs with very forward mids.. 

 

As this is a new pair, the bass and overall sound has yet to settle and open up, so i'll give it a few days of burn in before looking to see the filter's effects on the bass and sub-bass.

 

I also increased the EQ of the 14khz and 20 khz a bit and they really do add a sparkle to the music, 

 

With regards to Amping and Source, as well as another demonstration of the sound-stage of these, check out Where do I go from here - Carpenters (preferably at least 320kbps).

At around 30 secs when the chime travels from the left to right side. Using other headphones, or a lower quality source and amp, the chime seems to run straight through you head from left to right.  But with a higher quality DAC/AMP the chime will seem to go right behind and around your head/neck before continuing to the other side. Its a little weird when it happens but it adds a whole new definition of 3-D sound. I'm not sure exactly what exactly is causing this phenomenon, but it definitely is most pronounced with the ASG-1s and a good source, it still occurs but to much lesser degree from my phone than my E10+Cmoy

post #1967 of 2761

The mids have arrived with burn in.......have not heard them all day but they have been playing. I just listened now and the mids has become very very prominent!!! 

post #1968 of 2761

I've just received a set of ASG-1's with filters.  Initial impressions are promising.  Due to my general dislike of detailed impressions of dynamic driver phones before adequate burn-in, I'll hold off till later.  However, I'll confidently echo shotgunshane's comments that these sound better, at least out of the box, than their unfiltered counterparts.

post #1969 of 2761

Just got a pair of ASG-1's. After venturing through a good amount of iems and finally settling on the FXT90, my first impressions of these were quite bad. Compared to the FXT's, these lacked any sparkle whatsoever, and cymbals could barely be heard even in spare instrumental arrangements. I do prefer an above average amount of high-end, but I thought that this pair was defective.

 

Enter EQ. With some major adjustments, the ASG-1's have gone from thickly veiled to open and actually very detailed, compared even with the FXT's and possibly the DBA-02. The ASG's respond better to EQ than any iem I've owned.

 

I think the high level of detail comes from the mid-forwardness of the sound sig and the tight soundstage. Vocals and background nuances of live performances are positioned extremely close. This trait is actually something I found so appealing about the CK10. Close, accurate and detailed imaging. Some may prefer a wider soundstage but I'm not one of them. It obscures the details to some degree.

 

The moral of the story: use EQ people! The ASG-1's may actually find a regular rotation with the FXT90 and DBA-02 because of this vast improvement.

 

I'm using trimmed comply 400 for comparisons.

 

 

post #1970 of 2761

I didn't mind using EQ with the EM3pro because it really responded very well. I am guessing based on the posts that ASG1 is also taking EQ very gracefully biggrin.gif

post #1971 of 2761

I love the EQ!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

Just got a pair of ASG-1's. After venturing through a good amount of iems and finally settling on the FXT90, my first impressions of these were quite bad. Compared to the FXT's, these lacked any sparkle whatsoever, and cymbals could barely be heard even in spare instrumental arrangements. I do prefer an above average amount of high-end, but I thought that this pair was defective.

 

Enter EQ. With some major adjustments, the ASG-1's have gone from thickly veiled to open and actually very detailed, compared even with the FXT's and possibly the DBA-02. The ASG's respond better to EQ than any iem I've owned.

 

I think the high level of detail comes from the mid-forwardness of the sound sig and the tight soundstage. Vocals and background nuances of live performances are positioned extremely close. This trait is actually something I found so appealing about the CK10. Close, accurate and detailed imaging. Some may prefer a wider soundstage but I'm not one of them. It obscures the details to some degree.

 

The moral of the story: use EQ people! The ASG-1's may actually find a regular rotation with the FXT90 and DBA-02 because of this vast improvement.

 

I'm using trimmed comply 400 for comparisons.

 

 



 

post #1972 of 2761
Thread Starter 

Would you mind sharing the EQ settings you have used? I'm wondering which areas you had 'major adjustments' for. 

post #1973 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

The moral of the story: use EQ people! The ASG-1's may actually find a regular rotation with the FXT90 and DBA-02 because of this vast improvement.

 

 Cheers for sharing impressions.

 

I would agree in experience & findings with you - EQU is your best friend with ASG-1

 

 

 

How about we all share screen shots of EQU settings to possibly save someone frustration ? A new thread or as part of impressions ?

 

 

 

I'm still tweaking mine as i get round to testing out with other genre of music. Below is shot of where i am with EQU.

 

 

ASG Foobar EQU.jpg

 

 

Source = Esscence STX > Foobar ASIO.

Tips = UE silicon

 

+55khz cos I love bass with hip-hop.

-622-5khz used to tame Mids - especially high mids. Dropping 1.2 khz alone is not enough. MJ became bearable after this setting.

+7-20KHZ to add sparkle especially for trance tracks.

 

 


Edited by archy121 - 3/26/12 at 7:18pm
post #1974 of 2761

^Just start: AGS1 and the EQ thread biggrin.gif

post #1975 of 2761

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuralHygiene View Post

Would you mind sharing the EQ settings you have used? I'm wondering which areas you had 'major adjustments' for. 

 

Sure. This drastically changes the sound but it's the only way I enjoy these iems. It brings their sound sig more in line with the FXT90. Also, this is on a Galaxy Nexus. On my Sansa Fuze the sound is a bit different and I'm still tweaking it.

 

16Hz: -11.5

62Hz: -11.5

250Hz: -11

1kHz: -12

4kHz: +5

16kHz: +12

 

archy121 Thanks for the program and settings recommendation! I'll try it out and report back.

post #1976 of 2761

The tracker still hasn't updated so I have no idea what's going on, so until there is any movement I will focus on a few other reviews

post #1977 of 2761

I am one that doesn't believe in EQ, and this IEM is still no different.  I don't find the need to EQ this IEM myself.  Many of you have complained about the midrange, and in my opinion, the midrange is one of the best parts of these.  I know many will disagree with that statement. 

post #1978 of 2761


I have not heard the Aurisonics but I enjoy using the power that I can and in tthis case the EQ is the power to add, decrease the sound I desire.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I am one that doesn't believe in EQ, and this IEM is still no different.  I don't find the need to EQ this IEM myself.  Many of you have complained about the midrange, and in my opinion, the midrange is one of the best parts of these.  I know many will disagree with that statement. 



 

post #1979 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiamihk View Post


I have not heard the Aurisonics but I enjoy using the power that I can and in tthis case the EQ is the power to add, decrease the sound I desire.
 



 



 

I do understand where you come from, and why you do it.  However, I feel I disrespect the audio engineer who tuned the drivers when I EQ.  This is the main reason I don't bother with EQing.

post #1980 of 2761


You can choose to respect the engineer in not using the EQ. BUT! I would think the main point in respecting the engineer is to be able to enjoy the music and they engineer was not focusing on what inadequate earphone you are using to hear his work. What happens if the earphone you have cannot produce the sound the engineeer intended for you to hear? what if the engineer was working with a DJ or a break Beat artists? I believe by enjoying the music and if you can move to it and walk a certain walk while listening to the music is the highest form of respect.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post



 

I do understand where you come from, and why you do it.  However, I feel I disrespect the audio engineer who tuned the drivers when I EQ.  This is the main reason I don't bother with EQing.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews