or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews - Page 117  

post #1741 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I didn't find the asg-1 to be analytical at all, rather a very mid forward signature.

I agree! Saying that the dba-02 is analytical then the two have two very different signatures
Defiently not analytical although it is very detailed!
post #1742 of 2761

I don't know how you guys perceive these headphones.  But from all your descriptions, you make it seem like this has some infamous mid-range hump that is larger than life.  I think it's put out of proportion.  Just looking at the EQ that Eke did, and testing that same EQ myself, I found the actual outcome to sound like this with the EQ:

 

EQ.png

 

The main note is that it reminded me of the Atomic Floyd SuperDarts the most which have a huge V-shape.  The mids were boosted a little compared to them though, I think the V is actually closer to what the 232s have, which is actually, believe it or not around 7dB.

 

Now, this is how I perceive them to be, there is a mid-range hump, but around the 1500 mark rather than the 1k mark that you all suggest.  It looks more like this to my ears.

 

ASG1.png

 

The bump is quite smaller than what I think any of you hear it at.  I only hear a 2.5-3 dB bump in the 1.5 kHz that spans from around 1 kHz to 2 kHz.  The bass is a little off, it should have more of a mid-bass focus, not a sub-bass.  For your reference, I'll post what I feel the HF5/3/2 curve sounds like to me. 

 

HF5.png

 

Note how that hump is still there, except it's in the 2 kHz region with only a 2 dB bump.  Now, note the similarities to how I percieved the ASGs and how the Etymotic sounds to me.  This is why I classify it as an analytic.  It does have slightly more impact than the Etymotic while the Etymotic has more texture, however, the basic shape of the curve is extremely similar to my ears. 

 

With the way you guys are describing the midrange, it makes it seem like you are hearing some sort of 5 dB bump in the entire mid-range (just based off your explanations).  I went ahead and, based off everyone's explanations in the thread, made a graph of what I think you guys are perceiving, which is most likely off, but your descriptions make it seem this way:

 

YourDescription.png

 

I'm pretty sure you guys don't hear it this way (or at least I hope you don't).  I didn't read too much about treble, so the treble is really just random points from a previous graph I made.  I am curious to see how you guys actually do hear the ASG-1s.  I do want to know how large you think that mid-bass hump is.  With relation to the graph, Ekes forced a really deep V into that graph.  If that's what you guys find as neutral and balanced, well...  That's a deep V to me. 

 

EDIT:

 

I'm also going to put this out there, I've started comparisons with the W4s...  The W4s have more forward vocals that are slightly softer than the ASGs (they aren't softer by much either).  Again, all of this is to my ears. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 3/20/12 at 8:15am
post #1743 of 2761

very nice graphs, and explanation!

Thing is, everyone can perceive their ASG-1's differently.

Some say its perfect, some say its mid forward, and others with a bump.

 

I think I'll be one that says -> mid forward.

Just based on my sound sig and setup/likings

post #1744 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

very nice graphs, and explanation!

Thing is, everyone can perceive their ASG-1's differently.

Some say its perfect, some say its mid forward, and others with a bump.

 

I think I'll be one that says -> mid forward.

Just based on my sound sig and setup/likings


I'm trying to figure out what you guys mean by saying entirely mid-forward.  I only hear the vocals as forward (and only slightly at that), nothing else really is to me.  The levels of the entire instrumentals are on par with what the Etymotic HFs provide.  The highs do roll off though, they do that too in the T15s, these are rolling off slightly earlier.

post #1745 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post


I'm trying to figure out what you guys mean by saying entirely mid-forward.  I only hear the vocals as forward (and only slightly at that), nothing else really is to me.  The levels of the entire instrumentals are on par with what the Etymotic HFs provide.  The highs do roll off though, they do that too in the T15s, these are rolling off slightly earlier.

I think your graphs, pretty much sum up, in my head, what others have said
 

I shall try and do the same...except less fancy graph, when i get mine :)
Mine arrived in the USA, and are awaiting shipment to France :D

 

post #1746 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

I think your graphs, pretty much sum up, in my head, what others have said
 

I shall try and do the same...except less fancy graph, when i get mine :)
Mine arrived in the USA, and are awaiting shipment to France :D

 



OK, sounds good.  Looking forward to what you have to say. 

post #1747 of 2761

Are you serious? I could have sworn I included what the actual CEO of the company told me about the tuning... I even put it in quotations. When I told him about the deep cut I made in the mids, he said that's essentially what the filters accomplish.

 

I've used a dozen different styles of tips to ensure I'm not getting any resonance in my ears, yet the large mid-range bump persists. They make the Shures sound like they have recessed mids. I'm not disappointed in what I'm hearing because it's somewhat how I expected it to be.

 

It was tuned this way because a singer's first and foremost concern is hearing himself on stage. If they were not tuned with the mids the way they are, the other instruments would interfere in the production of the vocals. The vocals are so forward and raw because a singer NEEDS to hear if he is off key, or singing well, not glossed over in the music or pleasantly presented. 

 

I don't know if you think I'm trying to say the ASG-1 is not a fantastic IEM, because it is. It's just that it's default tuning is NOT meant for extended audiophile listening.


Edited by eke2k6 - 3/20/12 at 8:55am
post #1748 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Are you serious? I could have sworn I included what the actual CEO of the company told me about the tuning... I even put it in quotations. When I told him about the deep cut I made in the mids, he said that's essentially what the filters accomplish.

 

I've used a dozen different styles of tips to ensure I'm not getting any resonance in my ears, yet the large mid-range bump persists. They make the Shures sound like they have recessed mids. I'm not disappointed in what I'm hearing because it's somewhat how I expected it to be.

 

I don't know if you think I'm trying to say the ASG-1 is not a fantastic IEM, because it is. 


Shures have recessed mids (most ~4-5 dB down from the bass)...  With the exception of the 325s which have recessed instrumentals based on FR graph. 

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3251&graphID[]=3261&graphID[]=2721&graphID[]=2731

 

So yes, they should have recessed mids :p  The midrange (instrumentals) are about even in comparison to the Etymotic HF5s.

 

Can you please make some sort of graph, or description on how you perceive the ASGs to sound, it's actually interesting me right now (that 10 dB drop you did in the mid-range really makes me wonder a lot :p)

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1273

 

The vocals are boosted (in comparison to HFs) by about 1-1.5 dB max from the Etymotic base comparison.  I still feel that people are putting the mid-range hump way out of proportion. 

 


Edited by tinyman392 - 3/20/12 at 8:58am
post #1749 of 2761

Read my edit. Also, you do realize that the midrange spans from 400Hz to ~2.5kHz, right? 

 

I don't think you'll be convinced until actual response graphs are available.


Edited by eke2k6 - 3/20/12 at 9:02am
post #1750 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Read my edit. Also, you do realize that the midrange spans from 400Hz to ~2.5kHz, right?


Yes, I understand the midrange goes from 400 to 2.5 k.  I'm not arguing that the vocals are slightly attenuated.  However, I still feel people are making it seem like there is a 5 dB spike in there when in actuality (in comparison to the Etymotics) they are only 1-1.5 dB attenuated (again, to my ears). I'm looking at the vocals specifically here since that's where people are having a problem with trying to see what you're hearing.  Mid-hump, mid-bump, more vocals gives me little info on what you are actually hear. 

 

EDIT:

 

Playing with your EQ, then going to the Etymotics, the Etymotics now sound "shouty".  The ASGs will also sound slightly more "shouty" than the Etymotic, but it's only slightly (again, to my ears).


Edited by tinyman392 - 3/20/12 at 9:04am
post #1751 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post


Yes, I understand the midrange goes from 400 to 2.5 k.  I'm not arguing that the vocals are slightly attenuated.  However, I still feel people are making it seem like there is a 5 dB spike in there when in actuality (in comparison to the Etymotics) they are only 1-1.5 dB attenuated (again, to my ears). I'm looking at the vocals specifically here since that's where people are having a problem with trying to see what you're hearing.  Mid-hump, mid-bump, more vocals gives me little info on what you are actually hear. 

 

EDIT:

 

Playing with your EQ, then going to the Etymotics, the Etymotics now sound "shouty".  The ASGs will also sound slightly more "shouty" than the Etymotic, but it's only slightly (again, to my ears).



Attenuation implies a reduction in size. I don't know how else to rephrase what I've said twice, so I'll leave it to other owners to see what they have to say on the matter.

post #1752 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post



Attenuation implies a reduction in size. I don't know how else to rephrase what I've said twice, so I'll leave it to other owners to see what they have to say on the matter.



I just want to know exactly what you're hearing, it interest me more than anything.  Telling me they are raw vocals that are bumped or mid-heavy tells me nothing.  Quantify it at this point.  I'm trying to figure out how much you hear the mids pushed forward.  1 dB?  2 dB?  8 dB?  Your EQ is what really got me going about it since you said the shoutyness can be removed with a reduction in the 1000 kHz by 7.5 dB.  However, with my testing, that EQ made the IEMs sound more like the phonak 232s I have (mid-range wise) which have a nice 7 dB drop in the midrange.  Is there any way you can quantify what you're hearing in the entire midrange, not just the vocals, but also from lower-mids to high-mids. 

post #1753 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I just want to know exactly what you're hearing, it interest me more than anything.  

This is what interests me 2 in audio!
 

Btw, congratulations on the new title + 1.5k posts :D!

 

 

post #1754 of 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post



I just want to know exactly what you're hearing, it interest me more than anything.  Telling me they are raw vocals that are bumped or mid-heavy tells me nothing.  Quantify it at this point.  I'm trying to figure out how much you hear the mids pushed forward.  1 dB?  2 dB?  8 dB?  Your EQ is what really got me going about it since you said the shoutyness can be removed with a reduction in the 1000 kHz by 7.5 dB.  However, with my testing, that EQ made the IEMs sound more like the phonak 232s I have (mid-range wise) which have a nice 7 dB drop in the midrange.  Is there any way you can quantify what you're hearing in the entire midrange, not just the vocals, but also from lower-mids to high-mids. 


Not being a technically minded person, I can't provide stats with pinpoint accuracy, but would say that I'm hearing an increase of at least 4db somewhere between 1000kHz - 2000kHz. Reducing to -4db makes for a more balanced listen, and then from there an increase to -2db makes for a more musical midcentric listen. Others may hear it differently of course.

 

post #1755 of 2761

 

 

Aurisonics ASG Delivery Box.JPG

 

 

Long wait is over at last !

 

But let me tell you its been damn expensive waiting.

 

Since placing the order boredom got the better of me & I ended up buying a DAC with additional quality PSU & interconnects.

 

If that wasn't enough i just bought the IPAD3 as well... Time to hit classifieds.

 

 

Back to ASG's. First of all I'm happy to find it fits well & is very comfortable. I can get a good seal so these isolate really well for me.

 

The standard tips are weak to say the least & presently going through few others that Nulliverse kindly helped out with. So far TF10 tips seem to do well for me.

 

I'm going to give them at least 24 hours burn before passing any comment  - if i can control myself.

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews