I'm having a hard time deciding which one of these headphones to pick up. They are both about the same price on amazon, the akg is actually about 10 bucks cheaper. Which would be the better choice? I'm just looking at sound quality. I'm fairly new to this so any help is appreciated :) Thanks
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 1/9/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/9/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/9/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 1/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone + DAC combo under 300$ Last post on 2/14/12 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from HD 598 to HD 650, Q701, DT 880 or even T 1? Last post on 1/21/16 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternative to Grado ? Last post on 9/26/11 at 7:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- If you could pick any 4 headphones that you had to live with for the rest of your life, what... Last post on 9/12/11 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming (+ Music) Headphones Last post on 8/26/11 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Preamble: Before I begin with my review, I’d like to take the time to thank Jeongjae from DIGNIS for providing me with a sample of the LAETUS case for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC-Amp...
HD 598 or AKG q701?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 581/8/12 at 3:31ampost #3 of 581/8/12 at 3:46ampost #4 of 581/8/12 at 4:55am
The AKG's may be cheaper (and they're better headphones imo), but you're going to want a decent headphone amp to drive them properly. That's going to add to the cost if you don't already have a decent amp.post #5 of 581/8/12 at 5:03amThe HD598 is like a baby K701, that doesn't need as much juice as the K701. However, the K701 properly amped will sound more refined overall. They are quite similar in terms of overall sound though, with the K701 being just ever so slightly brighter while the HD598 is close to what I consider neutral, but still tipping towards slightly bright.post #6 of 581/8/12 at 5:04ampost #7 of 581/8/12 at 5:30am
I disagree. There are worlds between the two.
The Sennheiser fits perfectly into the category "easy listening", whereas the K701 resembles a tool. For pure musical enjoyment, I'd pick the technically inferior HD 598. It's warm, slightly bassy and overall enjoyable. It's a good first headphone.
Strengths of the AKG are linearity and high resolution. Both which can be impressive but also slightly distract from the overall musicality. This is my personal observation and opinion.post #8 of 581/8/12 at 5:47amNothing about the HD598 resembled anything remotely close to warm, and this is off various sources, and a neutral amp. It is close to neutral, so if you pair it up with a warm amp, I can see it change to a warm headphone, but its inherent sound signature is lean on bass, very rich in mids, and treble emphasized slightly. Its the most un-Sennheiser can out of the typical Senns outside of the HD800.
The K701 is also inherently lean on bass, mid rich, and treble emphasized slightly.
The headroom graphs also show just how close they are to one another. Not that graphs mean anything, but it is worth noting how similar they are. I'd post it, but I'm on a phone.
I do agree that the K701 is definitely analytical, while the HD598 is less so, but I put them both on the analytical side. A K701 with warm flavoring would sound like the HD598 off a neutral flavor of amp/source.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/8/12 at 5:50ampost #9 of 581/8/12 at 6:01am
Funny, I found the HD 598 to be warm when I auditioned them yesterday. They were very similar to the HD 650.
The graph also looks warm:
I also think the HD 598 is much more personal and forward sounding. The AKG is distanced and kinda pulls you away from the music.
All in all, I do think the AKG can impress, but for pure simple enjoyment, it's a wrong pick.post #10 of 581/8/12 at 6:07ampost #11 of 581/8/12 at 6:17amQuote:
Nothing conclusive, but as you say, graphs can only tell you so much. I have the HD595 and assuming the HD598 is similar, I wouldn't describe them as warm either.post #12 of 581/8/12 at 7:05amI have the PC360 (modeled after the 595 with a mic, more or less), and the HD598 is brighter... so yes, you would be correct in thinking this.post #13 of 581/8/12 at 7:28am
It definitely sounded much warmer than what I am used to and voices appeared also dark to me. And even with the headphone.com graph you can easily see that there is obviously more emphasis on bass than on highs, with mids being fairly neutral (however you have an emphasis on fundamental tone so they appear also dark).
This tilt is still relatively minor (within the Sennheiser lineup) and more in a pleasing way than a striking feature like with the HD 650. However, the HD 598 is warm and that's a fact. If you did actually compare it to the K701, I have no idea how you could miss that.post #14 of 581/8/12 at 7:38amI compared them DIRECTLY as they were both my go to headphones for hardcore ANALYTICAL gaming, and they were both on the bright side, no question. The PC360 is known to be a neutral gaming headphone, and the HD598 is DEFINITELY brighter. The HD598 at release was known to sound nothing like prior Sennheisers, and with good reason. It has a treble peak that is unlike typical Senns.
I don't know what you're going for, but there's nothing warm about the HD598. The graphs show a bass hump, yet all I heard is lean bass off everything I plugged it into. Again, graphs don't prove anything. The only thing I agree with is how the HD598 and K701 look similar for a large portion of the graph, which mirrored my own thoughts on them before I even looked at the graph.
The graphs would lead you to believe the HD598 is on par with the D7000 in terms of bass.... which is quite utterly ridiculous. The D7000 has some massive amount of sub bass, which the graphs don't show AT ALL. Not to mention some definite treble emphasis which some consider too sharp. I found the HD598 to have sharper treble.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/8/12 at 7:45ampost #15 of 581/8/12 at 8:07am
I think you need to revise on how to read the graphs: the D2000 has a PEAK at 30 - 40 Hz and that is much more subbass than almost any CD has recorded! How much more subbass do you hear that is not shown in the graph???
The AKG has 5dB more upper mids and highs compared to the Sennheiser. That's 5 dB colder! You can't tell me you don't hear that?!
And sorry, but which treble peak do you mean? There is no treble peak! The highest point measured is at 0 (Zero!) dbr past 10kHz. Ok, compared to the tiny normalization at the very top, highs are recessed by up to 4 dB, whereas bass is where? Elevated by 4db. What does that tell us? The disbalance of fundamental and overtone is relatively at 8 dB. That is quite a warm tilt.
I don't care if your wobbly bass booster PC360 is considered neutral, because it definitely isn't. Every untrained normal ear will tell you the HD 598 is warm - compared to reality and not to PC gaming.
- HD 598 or AKG q701?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 6 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › iCAN micro SE – (thanks to Meze - you guys are great!) Things are... 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD2 Fazor (prod. Nov. 24, 2015) *PENDING* 5 minutes ago
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...