Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review - Page 6

post #76 of 410

The motion 4's aren't active speakers and newegg has the motion 12's for $600 a pair.  Do they sound as good as the airmotiv's? If they did, that would be nice but then again i'm sure you would have to find an amp that with pairs well with them.  Also i think i read that the martin logans use paper drivers. when i think of paper cones i think of crappy car speakers or 20 year old walmart stereo's lol. 

 

post #77 of 410

does anyone know if the airmotivs are magnetically shielded?

 

post #78 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

The motion 4's aren't active speakers and newegg has the motion 12's for $600 a pair.  Do they sound as good as the airmotiv's? If they did, that would be nice but then again i'm sure you would have to find an amp that with pairs well with them.  Also i think i read that the martin logans use paper drivers. when i think of paper cones i think of crappy car speakers or 20 year old walmart stereo's lol. 

 



Paper cones when done right are as good as anything, and many times better.

post #79 of 410

I have some *very" newbie questions in regards to mini desktop speakers, especially this airmotiv4. I'd really appreciate it if someone took the  time to answer any of them. Thanks in advance!

 

1. From the look of its rear side, it seems that they have only an RCA and an XLR input. And they also have a power on/off switch with a power cord inlet. This seems quite strange - shouldn't speakers have speaker inputs? Does this mean that these speakers have built-in amps? And that I don't need speaker cables when I'm using them in my system?

 

2. If so, can I simply connect these speakers into my DAC using RCA interconnects? Or would I still need a preamp to drive these properly?

 

3. If I would at least need a preamp to drive these mini speakers, do you think my Schiit Lyr (a relatively powerful hybrid headphone amp/preamp) can get the job done well?

 

4. These are mini desktop speakers, like the ones I'd place on top of my desk along my computer, correct? So I suppose these are meant for listening to quite closely?

post #80 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

I have some *very" newbie questions in regards to mini desktop speakers, especially this airmotiv4. I'd really appreciate it if someone took the  time to answer any of them. Thanks in advance!

 

1. From the look of its rear side, it seems that they have only an RCA and an XLR input. And they also have a power on/off switch with a power cord inlet. This seems quite strange - shouldn't speakers have speaker inputs? Does this mean that these speakers have built-in amps? And that I don't need speaker cables when I'm using them in my system?

 

2. If so, can I simply connect these speakers into my DAC using RCA interconnects? Or would I still need a preamp to drive these properly?

 

3. If I would at least need a preamp to drive these mini speakers, do you think my Schiit Lyr (a relatively powerful hybrid headphone amp/preamp) can get the job done well?

 

4. These are mini desktop speakers, like the ones I'd place on top of my desk along my computer, correct? So I suppose these are meant for listening to quite closely?


1) These are "active"/"powered" speakers, so yep, they have a built-in amp. And like you said, you don't need speaker cables (those are use for "passive" speakers)

 

2) Yes you can. I connect my Nuforce Icon HDP to my active speakers that way sometimes.

 

3) I would believe so.

 

4) not sure how "mini" they are.. If they are like my recording monitors, then no...

 

post #81 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

I have some *very" newbie questions in regards to mini desktop speakers, especially this airmotiv4. I'd really appreciate it if someone took the  time to answer any of them. Thanks in advance!

 

1. From the look of its rear side, it seems that they have only an RCA and an XLR input. And they also have a power on/off switch with a power cord inlet. This seems quite strange - shouldn't speakers have speaker inputs? Does this mean that these speakers have built-in amps? And that I don't need speaker cables when I'm using them in my system?

 

2. If so, can I simply connect these speakers into my DAC using RCA interconnects? Or would I still need a preamp to drive these properly?

 

3. If I would at least need a preamp to drive these mini speakers, do you think my Schiit Lyr (a relatively powerful hybrid headphone amp/preamp) can get the job done well?

 

4. These are mini desktop speakers, like the ones I'd place on top of my desk along my computer, correct? So I suppose these are meant for listening to quite closely?


1. They are active so you won't need anything else to drive them. You can even attach them to an iPod if you want. Just need something with an RCA end.

 

2. No, you don't need a preamp.

 

3. You don't need it. If you do want to use it, it will work fine.

 

4. These are not really 'mini'.

240 mm high x 155 mm wide x 186 mm deep
(9.4" high x 6.1" wide x 7.3" deep)

They will function fine on quite levels up close but they still pack some real power. I know sound quality wise this isn't going to say much but this youtube movie does demonstrate their room filling capabilities quite well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFggYcxYk0g

 

 

 

EDIT:: Didn't see gelocks allready posted an answer. Guess my browser didn't refresh or something.


Edited by melie - 1/16/12 at 5:21am
post #82 of 410

I still have questions along the output/preamp/volume control.

 

My only experience with active speakers has been instrument speakers (guitar amps etc.) and this: http://sonysava.wordpress.com/sava-7/580d_1/

 

The SAVA 7 system is lackluster, but my point is, it had multiple switchable inputs, a volume control that affected both channels, and a remote control.

 

1. If you're feeding these airmotiv speakers (or any of the Adam actives for that matter) a line level input (where you're not attenuating the volume level at the source), and not using a preamp, is your only choice to manually turn the volume knobs on each channel/speaker in concert when you want to adjust the volume?

 

2. And is your only choice to switch between sources to manually switch the RCA inputs?

 

3. If you did want a preamp that could handle two or three sources and switch between them and attenuate volume across both, what are some good transparent inexpensive choices?

 

4. And is attenuating the volume at the input really a good idea given that it's a line level signal (don't you run the risk of sending too boosted or too quiet an input signal)?

 

Thanks!

post #83 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

I still have questions along the output/preamp/volume control.

 

My only experience with active speakers has been instrument speakers (guitar amps etc.) and this: http://sonysava.wordpress.com/sava-7/580d_1/

 

The SAVA 7 system is lackluster, but my point is, it had multiple switchable inputs, a volume control that affected both channels, and a remote control.

 

1. If you're feeding these airmotiv speakers (or any of the Adam actives for that matter) a line level input (where you're not attenuating the volume level at the source), and not using a preamp, is your only choice to manually turn the volume knobs on each channel/speaker in concert when you want to adjust the volume?

 

2. And is your only choice to switch between sources to manually switch the RCA inputs?

 

3. If you did want a preamp that could handle two or three sources and switch between them and attenuate volume across both, what are some good transparent inexpensive choices?

 

4. And is attenuating the volume at the input really a good idea given that it's a line level signal (don't you run the risk of sending too boosted or too quiet an input signal)?

 

Thanks!


1. Yes

 

2. Yes

 

3. Look at something like the Matrix Mini-I as it also has an awesome dac and is balanced. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-mini-i-24-192-Balanced-DAC-Headphone-Amp-/350235725907. If you allready have a good dac, any kind of pre-amp will do.

 

4. I would ALWAYS run monitors through a pre-amp for the reasons you give and other practical ones. You don't have to if you really don't want but I think it's very inconvenient.

 

post #84 of 410

The Matrix Mini that you post seems pretty nice.  I like that it has balanced xlr out.  I just need to find someone with impressions on dacmagic plus vs the matrix mini.

ad1955 d/a chip or wm8740

 

post #85 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

The Matrix Mini that you post seems pretty nice.  I like that it has balanced xlr out.  I just need to find someone with impressions on dacmagic plus vs the matrix mini.

ad1955 d/a chip or wm8740

 


Well, if you allready have a Dacmagic I would just buy a simple preamp and save some money.

If you want to read more about the Matrix Mini-I I would advice you to read this thread => http://www.head-fi.org/t/441960/matrix-mini-i-balanced-dac-hp-amp

It does have a very good reputation here on HeadFi but I wouldn't trade a Dacmagic for it.

post #86 of 410

What would be an example of a simple inexpensive preamp that has, say, two sets of RCA inputs, one set of RCA output, a switch, and a volume control, that doesn't degrade or color the sound? Don't need a DAC.

 

And will adjusting volume through line outs really work okay with the gain, (how do you avoid double-amping or over-gaining the input on the airmotiv?) etc.?

 

I'm likely going to buy these and pair them with a single Hsu STF-1 sub, for desktop video, music enjoyment, occasional gaming, and general usage.

 

Still haven't decided what I might do with my living room system. Heard the Motion 12s yesterday at BB, and thought they sounded quite good, but I'll probably pass for now (and miss the sale) while I think about it some more.

 

Thanks again!!


Edited by Nepenthe - 1/16/12 at 11:03am
post #87 of 410

I was talking about the dacmagic plus. it's newer and they changed the sound i guess.  not many reviews on it but the few that have are good.  I'm looking to spend about $600 on a dac and i need balanced xlr out

I also would like a coax out so i can hook a sub up too.don't know if that's possible

 

post #88 of 410

What I probably should check is if the XLR inputs go into a phase splitter. I don't imagine the internal amping is balanced. It's somewhat of a moot point though as for me at least being able to use long runs of balanced cable to them is important.

 

What I have noticed is that using different sources with these monitors, the differences are readily apparent.

post #89 of 410

So uh.... I bought these on impulse (shame on me, I know). Do these come with cables? If not, can anyone point in the direction of reliable xlr cables, maybe preferably off amazon?

 

Also, I am severely lacking in desk space; putting a 10lbs monitor on top of my NFB10, good idea or very very bad idea?


Edited by moimd - 1/17/12 at 2:47am
post #90 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by moimd View Post

So uh.... I bought these on impulse (shame on me, I know). Do these come with cables? If not, can anyone point in the direction of reliable xlr cables, maybe preferably off amazon?

 

Also, I am severely lacking in desk space; putting a 10lbs monitor on top of my NFB10, good idea or very very bad idea?



Emotiva customer support is pretty good, I'd email them and ask. They will most likely just come with the power cable though.

 

I'd get the XLR cables off Monoprice. Cheap but good quality ... I buy all my cables/adapters from them now and haven't had issues with anything yet.

 

10lbs probably won't affect the DAC/Amp but I wouldn't put anything on top of it personally.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review