New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap LOD?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I'm trying to look for a cheap LOD for my Ipod classic.

 

I've been through 3 Fiio L1 and one Fiio L3.

 

They don't take too kindly to being carried around in pocket.

 

How does the L9 fare

 

and how would something like this work?

 

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/iphone-iphone-3g-ipod-data-port-to-usb-3-5mm-audio-jack-adapter-16177

 

would something like that be of comparable sound quality?

post #2 of 18


So you broke both the L1 and L3? I figure both those LODs are very sturdy. I can't say the Same for my Sansa Fuze LOD from Fiio. The cover keep falling off of them. I pretty much gave up on that and just super glue it when it comes apart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

I'm trying to look for a cheap LOD for my Ipod classic.

 

I've been through 3 Fiio L1 and one Fiio L3.

 

They don't take too kindly to being carried around in pocket.

 

How does the L9 fare

 

and how would something like this work?

 

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/iphone-iphone-3g-ipod-data-port-to-usb-3-5mm-audio-jack-adapter-16177

 

would something like that be of comparable sound quality?



 

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Well, the way my amp is designed the wire is always bent as far as it can go, so yea, they only last me 3-4 months each.

 

Since I put it on my bocket my ipod sits on top of my amp instead of being able to lay them out long ways where I don't have to bend the wire.

 

I guess they just don't hold up to it.  After a while the sound in the left ear goes out then it dies all together.

post #4 of 18

I went through several LOD's looking for the right combination of sound quality and durability and have been very happy with a LOD from Ram Electronics.  www.ramelectronics.net   Look for it in the directory on the left margin of the 1st page of the website under ipod/MP3 cables.   Item # IFEPDM1, can be made in various lengths.  Mine is 6 inches, cost $18.14 plus shipping and is used between my IPOD 160G Classic and a Ray Samuels P51 portable amp.  I travel a lot and after almost 2 years of heavy use in airplanes and hotels, etc. this LOD is in perfect shape.  Also sounds a lot better than the other more expensive LOD's I tried from such vendors as Whiplash and ALO.

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

Well, the way my amp is designed the wire is always bent as far as it can go, so yea, they only last me 3-4 months each.

 

Since I put it on my bocket my ipod sits on top of my amp instead of being able to lay them out long ways where I don't have to bend the wire.

 

I guess they just don't hold up to it.  After a while the sound in the left ear goes out then it dies all together.

Maybe the L9 could work since its made at an angle so you won't stress the cable.
 

 

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 

Alright, thanks guys.

 

Any opinions on that adapter I linked?

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

Alright, thanks guys.

 

Any opinions on that adapter I linked?



I'm not really sure as I never owned it. Looks kinda cheaply made though. It could work and since its cheap in price maybe you should give it a go. But did you look at the Fiio L9. It looks like its a side adapter so it shouldn't have the strain in your pocket?

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 

yea, I've seen the L9

 

Here's a visual though

 

My Ipod/Amp sit like this in my pocket

 

efcff776acc54f32de44361a3ecc6ed1.JPG

 

Even if it comes out of the side, i'm still going to have to bend it back/around to get it in the aux...

 

or do you think I'd be able to arrange that w/o much stress on the wire?

post #9 of 18

From the looks of this picture, the stress should be much less. You could always opt for one of those more expensive offerings but I'm not really sure if its worth the price premium...

 

images.jpg

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 

Alright, gonna give L9 a shot

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

Alright, gonna give L9 a shot



Good luck. Keep me posted on the result :)

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

Will do

Yay for amazon prime.  Looks like I'll be getting these on the same day my ATH-M50s come back from getting repaired.

 

Been using these Target headphones since September, it's about time I got my rig back up and running

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post

Will do

Yay for amazon prime.  Looks like I'll be getting these on the same day my ATH-M50s come back from getting repaired.

 

Been using these Target headphones since September, it's about time I got my rig back up and running



Since getting my Studio V there's really no need for me to lug around my UHA4 anymore. Not to mention is 85+ hour battery life with FLAC. Its dedicated Class A amp that sounds like the RSA Mustang :). The ability to use this amp as a portable amp as well for other DAPs and such. Simple UI with tactile buttons. And brushed aluminum makes this DAP both beautiful and hardy. I was lucky to get it half off at $175.00 on the Christmas sale Hi sound had. They are having auction though right now on headfi.

post #14 of 18

Hi guys,

I currently have a FiiO L9, do you think it is worth upgrading to a silver LOD? Is the sound quality difference worth paying premium?

 

Cheers,

Joe

post #15 of 18

If this is still a problem I would recomend buying an LOD from Trends Audio.  They make great quality products for a relatively low price. 

 

http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=191&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&lang=en

 

I have also recommend this seller on ebay (http://myworld.ebay.com/fonebone230/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754).  I bought a $30 LOD from him over a year ago and it has held up extremely well and I carry my setup in my pocket a lot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: