Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones at Highschool - Bye Bye Beats!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones at Highschool - Bye Bye Beats!!!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

With the end of the semester coming up quick, I just want to recap all of the great things I have seen change in this semester. In the first few weeks all the "cool kids" had Beats by Dre, expected right? I mean its high school. As not to start fights I confronted no one. Now all the guys who do their research tend to be in my engineering class. One of my buddy's has got Sony MDR-V600, another has got some real nice Nike iems. One guy used to have in ear Beats but he broke them and bought some nice Sony's. I noticed a lot of kids switching to or upgrading to Sony headphones. It makes sense, a name brand with better sound than Beats. Now when I got back from Christmas break, I saw something simply amazing.

 

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, has V-Moda headphones. Whether it be LP, LP2, or M80. So many people have them. Now I know the LPs aren't all that great but I asked someone how much they paid for them. $80 at Costco. The fact is, they sound just as good as the Beats Studios. They have been spreading like wildfire because they are so sexy and sound so good and they are such a GREAT deal. I'm not trying to sell you headphones but I was very pleased to see people opening their minds up to their view or higher quality audio.

 

I hope that my high school is not the only one who changes, it would be great to be able to wear my cans in public without getting weird looks from people. I was very happy with everyone and take some credit for this wonderfulness.

 

Now to get everyone off 96 kbps Pandora Internet Radio...

post #2 of 25

Interesting and good to see! You own them also I noticed. What are your impressions so far.

Costco?

Couldn't see them at all on their sites either .ca or .com

Maybe it's a limited time batch they had and simply an in-store thing. I'll take a peek next time I'm out there ( Canada though so I doubt it ). Nice to see a deserving replacement for the others. They should be happy, well that is until they start looking around here at all the options to feed the upgraditis.

Do they also know about the custom badges they can get done on the backsides?


Edited by nick n - 1/4/12 at 4:29pm
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

Interesting and good to see! You own them also I noticed. What are your impressions so far.

Costco?

Couldn't see them at all on their sites either .ca or .com

Maybe it's a limited time batch they had and simply an in-store thing. I'll take a peek next time I'm out there ( Canada though so I doubt it ). Nice to see a deserving replacement for the others. They should be happy, well that is until they start looking around here at all the options to feed the upgraditis.

Do they also know about the custom badges they can get done on the backsides?



Guys are getting custom ones but just getting the plain red ones. I also noticed some guys have all back ones with chrome on the hinges of the swivel cups. No logos of any kind but they look like Koss PRODJ100. I saw another kid with what looked like ATH-M10 or Kilpsh Referance Ones. The had all black cups and a very odd cable where it looks like a very short cable then an extension. Like a extension right where the mic would be if there was one. It could have been a mic for all I know...

post #4 of 25

You'd be surprised how powerful the PR machine is.  Beats and Bose have marketed so well that people automatically assume they sound good without even ever listening to them.  Therefore, people walk into stores and buy them without so much as an audition. 

 

But, that begs the question: is ignorance bliss?  I mean, they're not on these forums reading how inferior their gear is.  They are completely happy with it and will never know anything else.

 

PR is strong.

post #5 of 25

 

Quote:

You'd be surprised how powerful the PR machine is.  Beats and Bose have marketed so well that people automatically assume they sound good without even ever listening to them.  Therefore, people walk into stores and buy them without so much as an audition. 

 

But, that begs the question: is ignorance bliss?  I mean, they're not on these forums reading how inferior their gear is.  They are completely happy with it and will never know anything else.

 

PR is strong.

 

Yes, its unfortunately so true and the same in each country.

 

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

You'd be surprised how powerful the PR machine is.  Beats and Bose have marketed so well that people automatically assume they sound good without even ever listening to them.  Therefore, people walk into stores and buy them without so much as an audition. 

 

But, that begs the question: is ignorance bliss?  I mean, they're not on these forums reading how inferior their gear is.  They are completely happy with it and will never know anything else.

 

PR is strong.



Out of the active noise cancelers that I've heard, I think my QC15's are actually the best, and that list includes those pricey ones from Denon.  But this isn't really what the thread is about, this is more about how this guy's school is suddenly exhibiting an acute drop in Beats.  Maybe they all broke.  

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post





Out of the active noise cancelers that I've heard, I think my QC15's are actually the best, and that list includes those pricey ones from Denon.  But this isn't really what the thread is about, this is more about how this guy's school is suddenly exhibiting an acute drop in Beats.  Maybe they all broke.  



Haha, I know for a fact the one kids broke and guess what he did? He bought ANOTHER pair of Pros!!

A lot of kids Still have beats but they are a minority . I'm not talking about the power of PR but te fall of PR. It's a great thing not another beats ranting thread.

 

yes I agree the QC15 do cancel noise very well. I want  to listen to them side by side with those mm450 from sennheiser Jude loves do much.

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

You'd be surprised how powerful the PR machine is.  Beats and Bose have marketed so well that people automatically assume they sound good without even ever listening to them.  Therefore, people walk into stores and buy them without so much as an audition. 

 

But, that begs the question: is ignorance bliss?  I mean, they're not on these forums reading how inferior their gear is.  They are completely happy with it and will never know anything else.

 

PR is strong.


Actually, it's quite difficult to get to audition headphones at a mainstream electronics store. I went into JB-hifi (also known as Best Buy) and the only headphones they had outside of a box were some $70 Sennheisers, and they weren't even plugged into anything! I asked if I could have a listen to some Skullcandy's (I wanted to see how bad they were for myself) and I was outright denied. Same thing at Dicksmith, except with some Beats. The only chance the average consumer would be able to listen to headphones they're interested in is when a friend or relative has them, at least round these parts.

 

Whether or not my experiences were store policy or not, I don't know.

 

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwn3r4Life View Post

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, has V-Moda headphones. Whether it be LP, LP2, or M80. So many people have them. 



Great! Let's start the V-Moda hate!

 

It's yet another PR wave of headphones for design/style conscious public ( young people).  You want to get Beats but can't afford them, well then get V-Moda's. Or if you are tired that everybody around has the Beats then get V-Moda's!


Edited by mutabor - 1/6/12 at 4:05am
post #10 of 25

^ Wait was that sarcasm? Damn you Internet, I can never know when someone's serious.

 

Anyway, as long as people are getting something with good sound quality, I couldn't care less about the rest. It doesn't matter if they are full of swagger or turn you into a XIX-century British Lord, the only thing that should matter is quality. And well, a little bit of style, just enough to make sure we don't walk around with this:

skullcandy_ti_pink_fur.jpg.

post #11 of 25

Ya, that's what I mean.  People think Beats are Bose are great, walk into Best Buy, grab it off the shelf, and walk to the cash register.  No audition anywhere.  In reality, the best way to go about things is go to a store that lets you audition them or go to meet and try them out.  That's how strong the PR machine.  People don't require an audition anymore before purchasing, so stores like Best Buy don't even have to offer one.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie584 View Post


Actually, it's quite difficult to get to audition headphones at a mainstream electronics store. I went into JB-hifi (also known as Best Buy) and the only headphones they had outside of a box were some $70 Sennheisers, and they weren't even plugged into anything! I asked if I could have a listen to some Skullcandy's (I wanted to see how bad they were for myself) and I was outright denied. Same thing at Dicksmith, except with some Beats. The only chance the average consumer would be able to listen to headphones they're interested in is when a friend or relative has them, at least round these parts.

 

Whether or not my experiences were store policy or not, I don't know.

 



 

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

^ Wait was that sarcasm? Damn you Internet, I can never know when someone's serious.

 

Anyway, as long as people are getting something with good sound quality, I couldn't care less about the rest. It doesn't matter if they are full of swagger or turn you into a XIX-century British Lord, the only thing that should matter is quality. And well, a little bit of style, just enough to make sure we don't walk around with this:

skullcandy_ti_pink_fur.jpg.


 

I find those much better looking than any of V-moda's.  They look extremely comfortable.  They remind me of these;

A4tech HS-70

I bet they sound like the dog they were made out of though.

post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post



Great! Let's start the V-Moda hate!

 

It's yet another PR wave of headphones for design/style conscious public ( young people).  You want to get Beats but can't afford them, well then get V-Moda's. Or if you are tired that everybody around has the Beats then get V-Moda's!



Is this sarcasm?

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie584 View Post


Actually, it's quite difficult to get to audition headphones at a mainstream electronics store. I went into JB-hifi (also known as Best Buy) and the only headphones they had outside of a box were some $70 Sennheisers, and they weren't even plugged into anything! I asked if I could have a listen to some Skullcandy's (I wanted to see how bad they were for myself) and I was outright denied. Same thing at Dicksmith, except with some Beats. The only chance the average consumer would be able to listen to headphones they're interested in is when a friend or relative has them, at least round these parts.

 

Whether or not my experiences were store policy or not, I don't know.

 


At my local Beat Buy there are many headphones available for audition, nothing I would want though.

 

Beats by Dre Solo HD

Beats by Dre Studio

Beats by Dre Pro

Klipsch Image One

Sony XBR Xtra Bass headphones

Bose AE2

Bose OE

Bose QC15

Bose QC30

Bose IMEI2

Something from Pioneer but I can't remember

A few more I can't remember all of them were mainstream on or over ear. Strict no listening to In-ears there. Ear-wax YUCKY YUCKY!!!

 

Not to mention a TON of speakers

 

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

^ Wait was that sarcasm? Damn you Internet, I can never know when someone's serious.

 

Anyway, as long as people are getting something with good sound quality, I couldn't care less about the rest. It doesn't matter if they are full of swagger or turn you into a XIX-century British Lord, the only thing that should matter is quality. And well, a little bit of style, just enough to make sure we don't walk around with this:

skullcandy_ti_pink_fur.jpg.



I've auditioned these and they suck! They highs are so blanketed and the bass has no impact. Sounds more like a pile of mud in a tin can than anything else. Despite how soft and fuzzy the ear cups look they were all matted down and hard. Those are the biggest waste of $60 ever. The nice metal is just extremely cheap plastic. Where is looks like the cups will swivel up and down they don't.

They are awful!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones at Highschool - Bye Bye Beats!!!