Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 - one of the best closed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 - one of the best closed?

post #1 of 96
Thread Starter 

Are Shure SRH940 the best closed headphones for that price range?

post #2 of 96

I imagine Ultrasone and Sony would both have closed entries at that price point, along with Denon. Not sure how they would compete as I haven't listened to those particular models.

post #3 of 96

Depends on what you are looking for.  I found them quite warm - but with a sweet airy top end rather than dark.  Very good mid-range, and great extension top and bottom.  What I didn't particularly like on them was overall comfort (this is a hit or miss - some find the comfort great, some don't), and they also have a mid-bass dip - which for me rendered the sound on some tracks 'wonky' - just didn't sound right.  I did find them very good for female vocals and jazz.  I didn't like them for classic rock.  A lot of people do love them.

 

For a little less money - I'd recommend the Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5 - if you're looking for an all rounder with reasonably balanced freq response.

post #4 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Depends on what you are looking for.  I found them quite warm - but with a sweet airy top end rather than dark.  Very good mid-range, and great extension top and bottom.  What I didn't particularly like on them was overall comfort (this is a hit or miss - some find the comfort great, some don't), and they also have a mid-bass dip - which for me rendered the sound on some tracks 'wonky' - just didn't sound right.  I did find them very good for female vocals and jazz.  I didn't like them for classic rock.  A lot of people do love them.

 

For a little less money - I'd recommend the Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5 - if you're looking for an all rounder with reasonably balanced freq response.


Well Im gonna use them for music(alternative rock, hip hop, trance, pop-dance, well I listen to almost every genre) and gaming(like hearing footstepsin Counter Strike and etc etc).

 

I've been told by a couple of guys now that SRH940 are the best option for me(for my needs) in that price range, however, i've been told to look these Brainwavz HM5, but actually, I trust only Sennheiser, Shure, and (maybe) Beyerdynamic.. so.. thats pretty much it :)

 

 

So except for the bass (which they apparently lack) you are pleased by them ?

post #5 of 96

Nope - sold them.  Weren't worth hanging on to for me.  They did too few genres well - although the ones they did (jazz, folk, female vocals) were very good.

 

Honestly - these are not a bassy can.  For hip-pop, trance etc needing a bit of thump (ie sub and mid-bass) - they wouldn't be my choice.  Can you go and try a pair somewhere first?

post #6 of 96

 

Quote:
Well Im gonna use them for music(alternative rock, hip hop, trance, pop-dance

 

Quote:
I've been told by a couple of guys now that SRH940 are the best option for me(for my needs) in that price range

 

With your type of music, i don't understand why some people recommend you the SRH940 (?).

 

SRH940 is a very good headphone, with excellent mids, but its a bass shy headphone imo and with your taste you ll need more bass.

 

SRH840 ll be a better choice imo but its still not a bassy headphone.

 

HFi780 ll be, imo, a better choice.  Sennheiser, yes, but if you want an open headphone.

 

A900 could be also a good choice (music/gaming), less punchy but better soundstage.

 

Pro650...

post #7 of 96

If you want bass, and have a nice gaming experience..probably beyers. (DT770 pro80, which is a closed can)

post #8 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDRey View Post

 

 

 

With your type of music, i don't understand why some people recommend you the SRH940 (?).

 

SRH940 is a very good headphone, with excellent mids, but its a bass shy headphone imo and with your taste you ll need more bass.

 

SRH840 ll be a better choice imo but its still not a bassy headphone.

 

HFi780 ll be, imo, a better choice.  Sennheiser, yes, but if you want an open headphone.

 

A900 could be also a good choice (music/gaming), less punchy but better soundstage.

 

Pro650...


 

 

well people said that Open phones are better for my gaming (like CounterStrike - hearing footsteps and etc etc). That said, i've been recommended to buy Sennheiser HD 598. But on second thought, im not really 'FOR' leaking sound in and out, especially in. BUT on the other hand I REAAAAAAAALLLLLY want this kind of brilliant soundstage, great sound quality, accuracy, rich sound, critical listening + all those things built in the 598s. And I asked myself (and respectively im asking you now :p) is it possible a pair of Closed phones to sound as good as Open ones (in this case Sennheiser HD 598)? and couple of supposed to be experienced guys told me that for that price range, the best Closed phones that I can buy are Shures SRH940.. and that was that.

 

one thing that botheres me is that sensitivity of these Shures - 100dB, compared to HD598's 112dB. and my question is, do these numbers (100dB) show how loud headphones would sound or its a totally different thing? I was thinking this: example: 112dB would sound louder than 100dB.  Maybe im wrong, not sure. you tell me.

 

so thats pretty much it.

 

 

advices please :)

post #9 of 96

 

Quote:
and couple of supposed to be experienced guys told me that for that price range, the best Closed phones that I can buy are Shures SRH940.. and that was that.

 

Concerning value for money, HD598 is usually better than SRH940 in Europe, in US i don't know.

 

D2000 ll be also good for you, bassy headphone with a big soundstage but with recessed mids.

 

 

Quote:
one thing that botheres me is that sensitivity of these Shures - 100dB, compared to HD598's 112dB. and my question is, do these numbers (100dB) show how loud headphones would sound or its a totally different thing? I was thinking this: example: 112dB would sound louder than 100dB.  Maybe im wrong, not sure. you tell me.

 

HD598 is slightly more efficient with 50 ohm/112dB VS 42 ohm/100dB for the SRH940.

 

 

Quote:
is it possible a pair of Closed phones to sound as good as Open ones (in this case Sennheiser HD 598)?

 

Yes but they ll be much more expensive.

post #10 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDRey View Post

 

 

Concerning value for money, HD598 is usually better than SRH940 in Europe, in US i don't know.

 

D2000 ll be also good for you, bassy headphone with a big soundstage but with recessed mids.

 

 

 

HD598 is slightly more efficient with 50 ohm/112dB VS 42 ohm/100dB for the SRH940.

 

 

 

Yes but they ll be much more expensive.


 

yes im european, so I checked the prices and really HD598 are about $50 cheaper than SRH940.

 

these things:

 

Quote:
BUT on the other hand I REAAAAAAAALLLLLY want this kind of brilliant soundstage, great sound quality, accuracy, rich sound, critical listening + all those things built in the 598s.

 

are far more important to me than the big bass, i mean its needed of course(the bass), but not the most important thing.

 

so im right then? the more dB the louder they sound ?

 

 

 

so the bottom line is: the SRH940 are not the best closed phones for that price range?

 

i guess Sennheiser are best at making Open phones, and respectively, they do not have as good closed as HD598?

post #11 of 96

HD598 are not exactly bassy cans either - I'd personally call them bass light - lighter impact than the Beyers anyway.

 

If you are going open or semi-open, I'd again suggest the Beyer DT880 (semi-open) or Beyer DT990 (open).  Look at MLE's gaming guide - both are recommended - and both do well for music and gaming.

post #12 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

HD598 are not exactly bassy cans either - I'd personally call them bass light - lighter impact than the Beyers anyway.

 

If you are going open or semi-open, I'd again suggest the Beyer DT880 (semi-open) or Beyer DT990 (open).  Look at MLE's gaming guide - both are recommended - and both do well for music and gaming.



If I wanted Open I'd buy Sennheiser HD598 ...

 

sorry but Im looking for Closed ones. thats why I started this thread :)

post #13 of 96

I haven't heard of many other closed cans, but I have nothing to complain about the SRH940. It's almost perfect in every way, especially for that price range. Only thing I can complain about is its comfort. It's definitely not the most comfortable cans out there, but I can wear it for 3+ hours without problem. But after that, it gets a bit tiresome.

 

dL

post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferRising View Post


Well Im gonna use them for music(alternative rock, hip hop, trance, pop-dance, well I listen to almost every genre) and gaming(like hearing footstepsin Counter Strike and etc etc).


According to the music genre you listen (especially hip hop & dance) , you'd want more bass than the srh940 offers, however for gaming the recommendation is usually to avoid bass heavy headphones. If you disregard the frequency balance of hd598 & srh940, their sound is very different.  I  have only experience with the hd595, and I  don't believe that the difference to the hd598 is that big, despite all the hype.
Anyway my hd595 offer very smooth sound, very forgiving,  nice to relax, but can be boring. The srh940 in other hand offer very crisp sound, revealing, engaging, can be fatiguing. One con against the srh940, is that I  noticed that position of cups on the head can significantly modify the sound , especially soundstage & amount of treble (see my review for more details).

The srh940 offers a nice soundstage. But I've heard that the k550 is a "champion" in soundstage if you are particularly interested by this (closed can).
 


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 1/3/12 at 2:55pm
post #15 of 96

Get a DT 770 80 ohms and put some acoustic foam in the earcups. This reduces the bass hump and alleviate the slightly-recessed mid, and also improves the soundstage. Great closed cans for an overall purpose(games, music, movies).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 - one of the best closed?