Hello guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my first set of audiophile cans (Grado SR60i) and I'm not sure what to get. I like the sound of the Grados, but I don't have much to compare them to. While I want good accurate sound, I wouldn't mind if my new pair had a little more low-end punch than the Grados. Other than that, I am looking for a good soundstage, good separation, and as much clarity as possible. Open or closed does not matter. Comfort is also a big deal to me, which is why I think I'm probably looking for full-size headphones. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anywhere in my area where I can go listen to higher-end phones, so I am coming to you guys. I've been looking at the Sennheiser 555, 558, 595, and 518s, but I'm really open to anything. I'm looking to spend $100-200.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/3/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGoldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 518tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12More
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2500tagged by System, 1/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- ~$200 Headphones for gaming and music Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- In need of headphones + amp for under 175$ Last post on 12/1/12 at 12:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need headphones under $200 primarily for classical symphonic music Last post on 9/27/12 at 6:05am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Today
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
*A sample of the IEM500 was provided to me in return for my honest review* - Photos taken by, me.- One of the funniest things is when a company writes all these outlandish claims with their...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your...
Introduction The Fidue A65 is in quite of an interesting place. It's in the budget range that has a lot of great contenders, but in it's defence it brings a Titanium micro dynamic driver, and with...
Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 71/3/12 at 5:44ampost #3 of 71/3/12 at 6:03amThread Starter
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.post #4 of 71/3/12 at 6:32amQuote:Originally Posted by jeskinner
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.
Plugged into the Titanium, it should be fine. I would not plug the headphones into the Logitech jack.
Very best,post #5 of 71/3/12 at 6:39amThread Starter
Oh really? I didn't know there would be a sound quality difference. I'm assuming you wouldn't recommend it because running through the Logitech dampens or clouds the signal more than running it straight in?post #6 of 71/3/12 at 7:44amQuote:
Every time you add something to the circuit chain, you're introducing potential for loss. I would not expect high grade connectivity from a headphone port on a pair of budget speakers (the power, output rating, quality, etc is likely not nearly what it is simply plugged directly into your Titanium). No point in buying nice headphones if you're just going to plug them into a really noisy or potentially poor source.
- Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Swan M10 or Bose Companion 2 57 seconds ago
- › setup help 1 minute ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 2 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Leben CS300XS Thread 5 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 6 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 6 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 7 minutes ago
- › Dac/amp that accepts Mic input 7 minutes ago
- › Looking for Bluetooth headphones that can give me a good amount of... 9 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by biggbenn74
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)