Hello guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my first set of audiophile cans (Grado SR60i) and I'm not sure what to get. I like the sound of the Grados, but I don't have much to compare them to. While I want good accurate sound, I wouldn't mind if my new pair had a little more low-end punch than the Grados. Other than that, I am looking for a good soundstage, good separation, and as much clarity as possible. Open or closed does not matter. Comfort is also a big deal to me, which is why I think I'm probably looking for full-size headphones. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anywhere in my area where I can go listen to higher-end phones, so I am coming to you guys. I've been looking at the Sennheiser 555, 558, 595, and 518s, but I'm really open to anything. I'm looking to spend $100-200.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGoldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD-518tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12More
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2500tagged by System, 1/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ~$200 Headphones for gaming and music Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need headphones under $200 primarily for classical symphonic music Last post on 9/27/12 at 6:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help to choose a headphone. Last post on 10/24/11 at 2:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 595 for same price Last post on 10/10/11 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My Setup Tested with my Dell XPS 8700 desktop going optical out to a Yamaha RX-V365 amp (1/4 inch headphone out). I played various files (FLAC, MP3, M4A) at different bit rates using...
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawer: AKG K512, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, and some more that I can't...
Introduction This is a review of the Superlux hd 681 Evo, Version II. It is my first review on Head-Fi, so bear with me. The particular Evo under review here has roughly 40 hrs of burn-in time...
I Background, gear used and manifesto I first got interested in the ECP Black Diamond around the time of its release. I was in the market for a “flagship” amp but still didn’t know what type of...
Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 71/3/12 at 5:44ampost #3 of 71/3/12 at 6:03amThread Starter
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.post #4 of 71/3/12 at 6:32amQuote:Originally Posted by jeskinner
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.
Plugged into the Titanium, it should be fine. I would not plug the headphones into the Logitech jack.
Very best,post #5 of 71/3/12 at 6:39amThread Starter
Oh really? I didn't know there would be a sound quality difference. I'm assuming you wouldn't recommend it because running through the Logitech dampens or clouds the signal more than running it straight in?post #6 of 71/3/12 at 7:44amQuote:
Every time you add something to the circuit chain, you're introducing potential for loss. I would not expect high grade connectivity from a headphone port on a pair of budget speakers (the power, output rating, quality, etc is likely not nearly what it is simply plugged directly into your Titanium). No point in buying nice headphones if you're just going to plug them into a really noisy or potentially poor source.
- Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Ears and how to clean them properly. 1 minute ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Bluedio HT H-Turbine 57mm Driver BT Headphones review 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K7xx International Forwarding Service 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for closed headphones 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW of Zero Audio DUOZA dual dynamic driver IEM 3 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 4 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Nano 6G 6 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)