Hello guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my first set of audiophile cans (Grado SR60i) and I'm not sure what to get. I like the sound of the Grados, but I don't have much to compare them to. While I want good accurate sound, I wouldn't mind if my new pair had a little more low-end punch than the Grados. Other than that, I am looking for a good soundstage, good separation, and as much clarity as possible. Open or closed does not matter. Comfort is also a big deal to me, which is why I think I'm probably looking for full-size headphones. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anywhere in my area where I can go listen to higher-end phones, so I am coming to you guys. I've been looking at the Sennheiser 555, 558, 595, and 518s, but I'm really open to anything. I'm looking to spend $100-200.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGoldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD-518tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12More
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2500tagged by System, 1/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ~$200 Headphones for gaming and music Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need headphones under $200 primarily for classical symphonic music Last post on 9/27/12 at 6:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help to choose a headphone. Last post on 10/24/11 at 2:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 595 for same price Last post on 10/10/11 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 71/3/12 at 5:44ampost #3 of 71/3/12 at 6:03amThread Starter
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.post #4 of 71/3/12 at 6:32amQuote:Originally Posted by jeskinner
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.
Plugged into the Titanium, it should be fine. I would not plug the headphones into the Logitech jack.
Very best,post #5 of 71/3/12 at 6:39amThread Starter
Oh really? I didn't know there would be a sound quality difference. I'm assuming you wouldn't recommend it because running through the Logitech dampens or clouds the signal more than running it straight in?post #6 of 71/3/12 at 7:44amQuote:
Every time you add something to the circuit chain, you're introducing potential for loss. I would not expect high grade connectivity from a headphone port on a pair of budget speakers (the power, output rating, quality, etc is likely not nearly what it is simply plugged directly into your Titanium). No point in buying nice headphones if you're just going to plug them into a really noisy or potentially poor source.
- Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 4 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 23 seconds ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 33 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Need budget DAP that will play nice with Starving Student amp 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 3 minutes ago
- › In the market for new IEMs. I enjoy an analytical earphone and my... 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 5 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude