Hello guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my first set of audiophile cans (Grado SR60i) and I'm not sure what to get. I like the sound of the Grados, but I don't have much to compare them to. While I want good accurate sound, I wouldn't mind if my new pair had a little more low-end punch than the Grados. Other than that, I am looking for a good soundstage, good separation, and as much clarity as possible. Open or closed does not matter. Comfort is also a big deal to me, which is why I think I'm probably looking for full-size headphones. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anywhere in my area where I can go listen to higher-end phones, so I am coming to you guys. I've been looking at the Sennheiser 555, 558, 595, and 518s, but I'm really open to anything. I'm looking to spend $100-200.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGoldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 1/3/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD-518tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12More
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 1/3/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 1/3/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2500tagged by System, 1/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ~$200 Headphones for gaming and music Last post on 11/15/12 at 7:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need headphones under $200 primarily for classical symphonic music Last post on 9/27/12 at 6:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help to choose a headphone. Last post on 10/24/11 at 2:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 595 for same price Last post on 10/10/11 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These headphones have a nice open soundstage for an earbud headphone and are relatively comfortable to wear. The sound does seem to "settle" and refine somewhat after some time of burning in. They...
I am really surprised to see so many positive reviews on the DT 770. To my ears, the sound this headphone renders is muffled. To my ears they sound as though someone has placed a heavy cloth over...
I have owned the Ultrasone Pro 750 for approximately 6 years and to say that I am familiar with the sound of this particular headphone would be an immense understatement. As a highly experienced...
So I bought these because I wanted to sleep and I can't sleep with over ear headphones on a window seat since the moment you put pressure on the bands, it goes haywire(the noise...
it take some time to fit these properly one of a kind sound great mids and highs, female vocal is good, male vocal a bit thin. At this price range, you can not get better bass, its the kind of...
Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 71/3/12 at 5:44ampost #3 of 71/3/12 at 6:03amThread Starter
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.post #4 of 71/3/12 at 6:32amQuote:Originally Posted by jeskinner
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.
Plugged into the Titanium, it should be fine. I would not plug the headphones into the Logitech jack.
Very best,post #5 of 71/3/12 at 6:39amThread Starter
Oh really? I didn't know there would be a sound quality difference. I'm assuming you wouldn't recommend it because running through the Logitech dampens or clouds the signal more than running it straight in?post #6 of 71/3/12 at 7:44amQuote:
Every time you add something to the circuit chain, you're introducing potential for loss. I would not expect high grade connectivity from a headphone port on a pair of budget speakers (the power, output rating, quality, etc is likely not nearly what it is simply plugged directly into your Titanium). No point in buying nice headphones if you're just going to plug them into a really noisy or potentially poor source.
- Need upgrade advice!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 445 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 7 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet (30 November 2014)! 8 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 9 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 11 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by pete4sound
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Peter Pinna
- › Ultrasone PRO 750 by Peter Pinna
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by yialanliu
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by 10shot9miss
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)