Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › IEM / Earphones while in bed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IEM / Earphones while in bed

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

Alright maybe this sounds like a weird request, but I've been looking and I haven't found anything suitable for this situation.  I usually like to wear my re0 in bed, and whatever I had before then, but when i turn on my side obvously there is a pressure that jams the tip into my ear canal.

 

I was wondering if there was any solution to this either in a different earphone / iem or some sort of workaround so I could roll around freely in bed without losing sound quality?  I know this is a weird request but it's a huge annoyance to me and I love headphones in bed.

 

Any suggestions? :D

post #2 of 36

Phonaks are pretty comfortable and fit nicely.  They don't hurt much when laying down.  If you can get a good fit with the MEE M6s, those are also a good idea as well.

post #3 of 36

I do not wear earphones in bed, but I cannot imagine the UM3X being uncomfortable -- they fit very flush, so even if you roll over you should not poke yourself.

post #4 of 36

Both Phonaks and Westone UM3X are pretty good for side sleeping.  I also use Yuin PK3 buds for that purpose, and they are not expensive so I don't worry about damaging them if I fall asleep.

post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 

as far as the um3x goes, i'm assuming the westone 4 has the same design?  I was thinking about picking a westone 4 up eventually anyway so that would work out very well.

post #6 of 36

Klipsch X10 is a good choice.

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

Klipsch X10 is a good choice.



 

Really?  I don't own them, nor have I heard them, but they don't look like they would be comfortable to wear laying on the side (or if you were to toss to the side).  I'd imagine some sort of discomfort from the housing digging into your ear :p  Of course, I can be wrong, I don't own them (or have any experience with them :p)

post #8 of 36

If you have medium to large ear canals, the Grado GR8/10 and UE 700 would work.  If you want something on the same design as the Westones, you might want to venture down the ladder to the 2 or 1 since the housing is smaller over the 3 (including um3x) and 4.  Another option is to get custom IEM, which has the least amount of compromises, but the most amount of isolation. 

post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post



 

Really?  I don't own them, nor have I heard them, but they don't look like they would be comfortable to wear laying on the side (or if you were to toss to the side).  I'd imagine some sort of discomfort from the housing digging into your ear :p  Of course, I can be wrong, I don't own them (or have any experience with them :p)



I agree and I've owned it. 

post #10 of 36

No go on the X10s for me. Because of the way the tips go in (at an angle), the base of the housing and the wires come out pretty far from the head. Plus, the cable doesn't seem very durable :)

 

The SHE3580s on the hand, seems to be pretty comfortable.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

Klipsch X10 is a good choice.



 

post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaphoenix View Post

If you have medium to large ear canals, the Grado GR8/10 and UE 700 would work.  If you want something on the same design as the Westones, you might want to venture down the ladder to the 2 or 1 since the housing is smaller over the 3 (including um3x) and 4.  Another option is to get custom IEM, which has the least amount of compromises, but the most amount of isolation. 



I was thinking of the custom route, I was just worried that it would hurt instead of the ear canal, just all around the area where the iem fits in.  For a very long time I've wanted customs though.  Thanks for all the feedback so far by the way, I'll definitely be looking into all of your recommendations and seeing if I can sample some of them.  I'm open to any suggestion.

 

post #12 of 36

Pretty much the entire 'phone goes into your ear. They are tiny. YMMV of course.

post #13 of 36

I have Westone ES5s that I sleep on my side with at night and there is a little bit of extra pressure but not anything more uncomfortable than getting used to having customs in your ears in the first place.

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaFi View Post

No go on the X10s for me. Because of the way the tips go in (at an angle), the base of the housing and the wires come out pretty far from the head. Plus, the cable doesn't seem very durable smily_headphones1.gif

The SHE3580s on the hand, seems to be pretty comfortable.

 



Second the Philips SHE3580. These are low profile in every sense of the word, from the tiny size to the dimunitive price (yours for $10 or less). They‘re my avatar picture--check out the size of the tips compared to the size of the phones. The sound they pack on the other hand... just chwck out the ongoing Isurus / SHE3580 thread for peoples‘ impressions. cool.gif Personally I don't roll around or fall asleep while listening to music in bed but I've used them as earplugs once and I fell asleep and rolled all over them no problems. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 1/2/12 at 11:02pm
post #15 of 36

I just turned my TF10s into customs and have slept with them this past week with no issues.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › IEM / Earphones while in bed