or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 23

post #331 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post

8x sounds awfully high for single ended with the LCD-3. 
Any reason you've chosen a 2ch over a 4ch? I presume you're doing a single chassis then?

 

My current amp is 14x so 8x won't be too bad ;)  4ch B22, in my opinion, is a waste.  Yes balanced has advantages but it also has disadvantages and a single ended B22 is already powerful.  The fact of the matter is 8x gain guarantees being able to hit the power rating of single board with a 2V source.  The new GS-X on the other hand, even with the added power, needs to be balanced to reach B22 single ended power ratings.

 

Single Ended B22 = 43Vpp

Balanced GS-X = 48Vpp


Edited by Solude - 11/23/12 at 7:17am
post #332 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

My current amp is 14x so 8x won't be too bad ;)  4ch B22, in my opinion, is a waste.  Yes balanced has advantages but it also has disadvantages and a single ended B22 is already powerful.  The fact of the matter is 8x gain guarantees being able to hit the power rating of single board with a 2V source.  The new GS-X on the other hand, even with the added power, needs to be balanced to reach B22 single ended power ratings.

 

 

Please explain?  Advantages vs. disadvantages.

 

 

 

Wow - I didn't know that about the last sentence in your post.

post #333 of 4457
Joining the fray here - ordered a pair last night (after several hours of general gluttony), to go along with my WA22 and my LCD2r1 and T1. Can't wait!
post #334 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Please explain?  Advantages vs. disadvantages.

 

 

Without getting too technical...

 

Balanced doubles the voltage, doubles the slew rate, reduces THD% /thumbsup

Balanced also doubles the output impedance, doubles the noise floor, more than doubles the cost and size /thumbsdown

 

I'm missing some that escape me right now but that's the jist of it.  And one big plus... way easier to get someone to build a single case single ended amp than a balance two box beast :p

 

Ie my new B22 will be a powerhouse, have defeatable pre-outs, single case, and likely come in under $1000.  At which point the GS-X and B22 will compete on sound and not features or power.

 

The 'lesser' amp goes to the kids PC =O

post #335 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

My current amp is 14x so 8x won't be too bad wink.gif  4ch B22, in my opinion, is a waste.  Yes balanced has advantages but it also has disadvantages and a single ended B22 is already powerful.  The fact of the matter is 8x gain guarantees being able to hit the power rating of single board with a 2V source.  The new GS-X on the other hand, even with the added power, needs to be balanced to reach B22 single ended power ratings.

Single Ended B22 = 43Vpp
Balanced GS-X = 48Vpp

Ok, I wasn't taking the 2V source into account so that makes more sense. I never use unbalanced interconnects with my system because on my current DAC they soldered one of the RCAs with reverse polarity so it is out of phase, and they left a screw on top stripped so I can't remove the cover to fix it. rolleyes.gif
post #336 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

Without getting too technical...

 

Balanced doubles the voltage, doubles the slew rate, reduces THD% /thumbsup

Balanced also doubles the output impedance, doubles the noise floor, more than doubles the cost and size /thumbsdown

 

I'm missing some that escape me right now but that's the jist of it.  And one big plus... way easier to get someone to build a single case single ended amp than a balance two box beast :p

 

Ie my new B22 will be a powerhouse, have defeatable pre-outs, single case, and likely come in under $1000.  At which point the GS-X and B22 will compete on sound and not features or power.

 

The 'lesser' amp goes to the kids PC =O

 

 

I see.

 

For me the advantages far out ways the disadvantages.  With a balanced config IMO, I also get wider, layered, holographic soundstaging that can give a sense of better resolution, or at least it's easier to pick details out compared to unbalanced. That's what I experienced anyway.

 

Yes the cost is crazy and Corey would not build a 4 board balanced one at all.  The GS-X will be 2X+ the $1000 mark. So that's a great deal you got going on there.

post #337 of 4457

It's funny, I found my first single ended B22 much less diffused than the balanced one.  The bass on that one was so tight and punchy compared to the balanced one.  Go figure.

post #338 of 4457

The eagle has landed   biggrin.gif definitely not much play in the volume running them out of the F1, not that i expected that much. At around 10-15 on the dial, whereas the HE-6s im typically around 35-40

post #339 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

The eagle has landed   biggrin.gif definitely not much play in the volume running them out of the F1, not that i expected that much. At around 10-15 on the dial, whereas the HE-6s im typically around 35-40

 

 

Compre the sound out of the D2 and the F1. 

post #340 of 4457

Its weird, i almost think that the sides are on backwards, the only way for me to get the headband to lay flat is for it to be all the way to the front of my head, never had a headphone like that before.

 

400

 

 

But it is super comfortable and extremely detailed.

 

700

 

 

First impressions would be that its more balanced than the HE-6s, i had felt that they had a bit of a midrange dip, that isnt there anymore. The bass is a bit more impactful as well. I would even say that the soundstage is bigger which wasnt something i was expecting, since the LCD-2s werent particularly strong in that area. So far i do like them more than the HE-6s

 

And the build quality is quite a large step up i would say, they just look/feel a whole lot nicer than the HE-6s do.

 

But now i know what people were talking about with the suction in your ears when you put them on, the first couple times that was pretty weird, but i got used to it pretty quickly

 

Preproman, as far as a comparison between the F1 and the amp in the D2, i would say there isnt any comparison. The F1 blows it away in pretty much every way. Fuller sound, better bass impact, larger soundstage, more "3d" sounding performers, and the highs are a bit smoother as well. Its just too much amp for them, now i really want to hear them out of the Mjolnir very_evil_smiley.gif

post #341 of 4457
Thread Starter 

Glad you're enjoying them! They are fantastic cans indeed and only bested by the much more expensive SR-009s IMO. That said, there are things that the LCD-3s do that no headphone can replicate.

 

BTW, our LCD-3 measurements look like twins.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

post #342 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Glad you're enjoying them! They are fantastic cans indeed and only bested by the much more expensive SR-009s IMO. That said, there are things that the LCD-3s do that no headphone can replicate.

 

BTW, our LCD-3 measurements look like twins.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

 

Haha, it seems that many of the newer sets all look mostly identical, but i would agree our two are almost perfectly identical.

 

Another thing i noticed was that i can hear an ever so slight amount of noise out of the F1 using the LCD-3s, that i couldnt hear with the HE-6s. and its so slight you would never know it was there if i just handed you the cans and told you to put them on your head, you have to unplug it from the amp to notice the ever so slight difference of complete silence. Pretty awesome for a speaker amp I'd say, though it is known as being one of the quietest speaker amps ever made.

 

EDIT: Anyone ever compare the Norse Cables Norn series 2 to the Q Cables? looks the same except with OCC copper rather than regular copper, and cotton instead of silk sleeving, not sure about the price on the Norse though


Edited by SoupRKnowva - 11/23/12 at 3:53pm
post #343 of 4457

Ok  send mw your pay pal address you can get your MJwink_face.gif

post #344 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Glad you're enjoying them! They are fantastic cans indeed and only bested by the much more expensive SR-009s IMO. That said, there are things that the LCD-3s do that no headphone can replicate.

 

 

Peter, your continued enthusiasm for the LCD-3 only heightens my curiosity. Refresh my memory, did you try the TH900, no? 

post #345 of 4457
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

 

Haha, it seems that many of the newer sets all look mostly identical, but i would agree our two are almost perfectly identical.

 

Another thing i noticed was that i can hear an ever so slight amount of noise out of the F1 using the LCD-3s, that i couldnt hear with the HE-6s. and its so slight you would never know it was there if i just handed you the cans and told you to put them on your head, you have to unplug it from the amp to notice the ever so slight difference of complete silence. Pretty awesome for a speaker amp I'd say, though it is known as being one of the quietest speaker amps ever made.

 

EDIT: Anyone ever compare the Norse Cables Norn series 2 to the Q Cables? looks the same except with OCC copper rather than regular copper, and cotton instead of silk sleeving, not sure about the price on the Norse though

 

Yep, that noise floor difference of 83dB vs. 93dB in terms of efficiency. I'm personally using the Q Cables with them and love them (especially over the stock cables). I've owned the Silver Dragon V2, ALO Chainmail and DHC Cables, but the Q Cables are the ones that I settled in on. Great cables, likely the most ergonomic headphone cables there are and sound fantastic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreaq View Post

 

Peter, your continued enthusiasm for the LCD-3 only heightens my curiosity. Refresh my memory, did you try the TH900, no? 

 

Hi Chris: Yes I have. A few times. They are "perfected" D7000 headphones and DESTROY Denon's new D7100s (but then again, so do my Bose QC15s that I use when flying tongue.gif). They (LCD-3s) are the best headphones not named the SR-009s that I've heard yet. Oh and did I say that they sound fantastic with the LF. evil_smiley.gif


Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/23/12 at 7:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread