Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 197

post #2941 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
 


Yes. On my radar.

 

I'm not a fan of it's split platform. I actually want gooey. If I go Tube. I want it to sound like tubes. Some of the bright comments have put me off. If the WA2 doesn't drive the LCD-3 well. I will likely wait and save for the WA22.

 

the best tube implementations don’t sound gooey. I found that the LCD3 was gooey enough on its own and didn’t need any help :)

 

But I understand what you mean. Anyway, if you like the WA2 and LCD3 combo, that’s cool.

 

And if you end up reconsidering SS, have you heard the Burson Soloist? I had that combo with my old LCD3 and it was very good. I imagine that NZ should have relatively easy access to Burson gear and the proper support.

post #2942 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 

 

the best tube implementations don’t sound gooey. I found that the LCD3 was gooey enough on its own and didn’t need any help :)

 

But I understand what you mean. Anyway, if you like the WA2 and LCD3 combo, that’s cool.

 

And if you end up reconsidering SS, have you heard the Burson Soloist? I had that combo with my old LCD3 and it was very good. I imagine that NZ should have relatively easy access to Burson gear and the proper support.


I already have SS. Oppo HA-1 on the top there.

 

 

I have that covered. I just want something real tubey so depending on music I pick and choose which amp to use.

 

I trialed the WA7 and that sounded so similar to the Oppo (Oppo being better). I think some of these tube designs are trying to be neutral. I want something that is not ashamed of being gooey. Different.

post #2943 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post


I already have SS. Oppo HA-1 on the top there.




I have that covered. I just want something real tubey so depending on music I pick and choose which amp to use.

I trialed the WA7 and that sounded so similar to the Oppo (Oppo being better). I think some of these tube designs are trying to be neutral. I want something that is not ashamed of being gooey. Different.

Nice system photo! It looks like you have two identical Oppo disc players, is that correct?
post #2944 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

..........

It has to be Woo. I'm in New Zealand. Not many options here. Woo is sold and supported local to me. So if I go tubes it will be the obvious choice. I'm listening to the WA2 later this week.
Not to confuse you but check out the WA5 and/or the WA 6 if possible. Better Woo amps, IMO.
post #2945 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post


Nice system photo! It looks like you have two identical Oppo disc players, is that correct?

 

Yes. Two Oppo BDP-103D's. I have different Zoned blu-rays. Both are multizoned players, however I don't like hitting all the buttons everytime to change zones. So I have top player set on Zone A, the other on Zone B.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post


Not to confuse you but check out the WA5 and/or the WA 6 if possible. Better Woo amps, IMO.

 

Thanks. WA5 is out of my $$ range. Do you mean WA6 or WA6-SE?

post #2946 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Yes. Two Oppo BDP-103D's. I have different Zoned blu-rays. Both are multizoned players, however I don't like hitting all the buttons everytime to change zones. So I have top player set on Zone A, the other on Zone B.


Thanks. WA5 is out of my $$ range. Do you mean WA6 or WA6-SE?

SE is fine.
post #2947 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post


SE is fine.


Interesting you said the WE6. I looked at the specs. Not bad.

 

I don't really like the looks or footprint of the SE.

 

I just went to The Computer Lounge. Thank you Billy. I had a go on the WA2. Damn I liked it.

 

Now you mentioned the WA6 I am thinking. Has anyone teamed it up with the LCD-3?

 

It has double the power of the WA2.

 

WA2: 310mw at 32ohms.

WA6: 580mw at 32ohms.

 

Any reason why a WA6 will be a bad idea?


Edited by Badas - 8/12/14 at 8:44pm
post #2948 of 3216

Wait for that Ragg man.  It's going to drop at any time now..

post #2949 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Wait for that Ragg man.  It's going to drop at any time now..
+1. Prep, I agree but Badas wanted tubes I think.
post #2950 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androb View Post

My balanced amp needs an xlr cable from the dac all the way to my headphones to sound the best. With normal SE cable it sounds real boring. But when using an xlr it's a whole other beast smily_headphones1.gif

Yes different amps are different 're whether the balanced headphone out is different than the se headphone out. Amps from makers like audio-gd or little dot all require the balanced headphone out to utilize the full power of their amps.

WA22 is kinna unique in this that you enjoy same power output regardless which headphone out you use. To me it is a benefits as I don't need to get balanced cables for every headphone (or to be used with ones that can't be balanced without major mods like AKG K812pro).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post


Yes. On my radar.

I'm not a fan of it's split platform. I actually want gooey. If I go Tube. I want it to sound like tubes. Some of the bright comments have put me off. If the WA2 doesn't drive the LCD-3 well. I will likely wait and save for the WA22.


If you are considering the WA22 you should factor the cost of tubes upgrades. The upgrade suggestions at woo is good with LCD3 imho but a bit expensive at their price. You should be able to find them for less than $400 total from eBay or other sellers. You can keep an eye on the trade forum here for some nice deals also. The main Woo thread here is also great place to start researching for tubes for the Woo of your choice.
post #2951 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
 


Interesting you said the WE6. I looked at the specs. Not bad.

 

I don't really like the looks or footprint of the SE.

 

I just went to The Computer Lounge. Thank you Billy. I had a go on the WA2. Damn I liked it.

 

Now you mentioned the WA6 I am thinking. Has anyone teamed it up with the LCD-3?

 

It has double the power of the WA2.

 

WA2: 310mw at 32ohms.

WA6: 580mw at 32ohms.

 

Any reason why a WA6 will be a bad idea?

 

Depends on how loud you like to listen.  Having heard both with my LCD3's and liking to listen at fairly "robust" levels, the WA6-SE was my preference.  The SE is significantly more powerful than the 6. 

post #2952 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post
 

 

Depends on how loud you like to listen.  Having heard both with my LCD3's and liking to listen at fairly "robust" levels, the WA6-SE was my preference.  The SE is significantly more powerful than the 6. 


Thanks for that.

 

Hhhhmmm, I have more thinking to do. This has been very difficult. I really liked what the WA2 did.

 

I will sit on it for a week and think. I can't wait to just make a decision and move on.

 

I don't listen at very high volume levels. Actually fairly low. I find headgear too intense at high volumes. My speakers are what I let loose.

post #2953 of 3216

.

post #2954 of 3216

Thanks for everyone's help with Tube amps.

 

I just ordered a Woo WA22 to go with my Audeze LCD-3. Fun times. :wink_face:

post #2955 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Thanks for everyone's help with Tube amps.

I just ordered a Woo WA22 to go with my Audeze LCD-3. Fun times. wink_face.gif

Nice. Did you get to hear LCD3 from WA2and WA22? If so what were your impressions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread