Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 16

post #226 of 2836

I'm afraid to have to say this too in this thread, but right now, I can attest to the HE-6 not being peaky from what I'm driving them, while the LCD-3 clearly are having a hard time in comparison. The wimpy cymbal splashes are off the instrument's timbre

 

I hope it's just my pair frown.gif

post #227 of 2836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Well I bought them from another head-fier/ friend, they're mint so I don't know. I will be giving them some exclusive head time, but to me if it sounds wrong I can't magically get used to them. I think the best is to compare head to head, which I will do. One thing for sure, I'm not under-amplifying them.

Interesting. Do you know when he got them? Was it before or after April of this year?

 

BTW, when I was your age, I spent most of my $ on girls. tongue.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I'm afraid to have to say this too in this thread, but right now, I can attest to the HE-6 not being peaky from what I'm driving them, while the LCD-3 clearly are having a hard time in comparison. The wimpy cymbal splashes are off the instrument's timbre

 

I hope it's just my pair frown.gif

 

 

Listen carefully to the cymbals. While they are indeed lively on the HE-6s, but listen carefully....to my ears the and with certain recordings, cymbals are placed in front of the sound stage. How many drummers are in front of the band? wink.gif

 

I suggest you listen to some female vocals and trumpet...I found the HE-6's treble bothersome most in these instances. YMMV of course.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/17/12 at 9:33am
post #228 of 2836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I'm just trolling here:

 

The bright and peaky HE-6 seems to avoid me.  I have not seen or heard that at all in all the time I've had her.  

 

Headphones that's bright and peaky IMO

 

HD800, T70, Pro 900 and maybe the T1..

That's interesting....I have always found the HE-6s brighter than the HD800s. They maintain the peak over a wider frequency range that really made listening to Miles Davis and some classical a bit too much to my ears. The T1s were the "darkest" of the three. That said, there seems to be quite a variation of T1 sound signatures, so it could be up to the pairs of T1s that you and I listened too?

 

No arguments though from me on the Pro900s and T70s. To my ears, they were just too bright to listen to...period. I'm just glad that my 40 year old ears are still sensitive to treble. tongue.gif

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=863&graphID[]=2871


Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/17/12 at 8:53am
post #229 of 2836

Ahh - and you know what.  There seem to also be some variations on HE-6s as well.  Happy Camper and my own are different.  In fact Happy Campers is from the first run.  His has way less bass and is "bright".  Ah ha.  I just got a brand new pair from Justin this year.

post #230 of 2836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Ahh - and you know what.  There seem to also be some variations on HE-6s as well.  Happy Camper and my own are different.  In fact Happy Campers is from the first run.  His has way less bass and is "bright".  Ah ha.  I just got a brand new pair from Justin this year.

Could be, my HE-6s were from 18 months or so ago? Or HRTF could play into it too? Or personal tastes, or musical preferences, or, or, or?

 

Or a bit of everything above? smile.gif

post #231 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I'm afraid to have to say this too in this thread, but right now, I can attest to the HE-6 not being peaky from what I'm driving them, while the LCD-3 clearly are having a hard time in comparison. The wimpy cymbal splashes are off the instrument's timbre

I hope it's just my pair frown.gif

Maybe it's your amp/dac? I'm somewhat of a treble head or used to be anyway and would not describe the LCD-3 as lacking to the degree you say. I suppose everything is relative though as the HE6 does have more treble. I thought it was a bit over emphasized personally. Product variation, fit, and personal preference can make comparisons unreliable imo.
post #232 of 2836

The other question is at what dB?  I tend to listen to the LCD-3 around 80dB and its certainly not veiled.  For my gear it approaching bright but I'm sensitive to that.  Ten years ago, the HD650 did it for me, then the 007 MkI, followed by the LCD-2 Rev1 so... ya.

post #233 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Interesting. Do you know when he got them? Was it before or after April of this year?

 

BTW, when I was your age, I spent most of my $ on girls. tongue.gif

 

 

 

Listen carefully to the cymbals. While they are indeed lively on the HE-6s, but listen carefully....to my ears the and with certain recordings, cymbals are placed in front of the sound stage. How many drummers are in front of the band? wink.gif

 

I suggest you listen to some female vocals and trumpet...I found the HE-6's treble bothersome most in these instances. YMMV of course.

Don't worry, I have enough money to spend on girls, and don't necessarily have to spend on them often either, I rotate a lot ;)

 

As for the staging, the HE-6 don't have as much depth as the lcd-3, but the staging is fine. Soundstaging is one of the most important thing for me, I would not accept anything inaccurate. To me the lcd-3, hd800 and he-6 are all fine, whereas something like a T1 may sound strange (staging also changes depending on placement on ears).

 

Maybe your experience with the odd instrument placement on the HE-6 was in fault of a certain album or recording? Or maybe a rev1 HE-6

post #234 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Well I bought them from another head-fier/ friend, they're mint so I don't know. I will be giving them some exclusive head time, but to me if it sounds wrong I can't magically get used to them. I think the best is to compare head to head, which I will do. One thing for sure, I'm not under-amplifying them.

I was thinking that perhaps you were under amplifying them..

I've been using my wa6se and with the stock driver tubes the HD 800s blow the LCD 3s out of the water, that soundstage is just impressive.
However when I use my 6GL7/6EM7 tubes the LCD 3s really sing. I mean wow. Same with my Ed 10s. Those tubes match up great with them. Now with the HD 800s there's a huge problem with static and distortion. Same with my "lesser" cans.
post #235 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post


I was thinking that perhaps you were under amplifying them..
I've been using my wa6se and with the stock driver tubes the HD 800s blow the LCD 3s out of the water, that soundstage is just impressive.
However when I use my 6GL7/6EM7 tubes the LCD 3s really sing. I mean wow. Same with my Ed 10s. Those tubes match up great with them. Now with the HD 800s there's a huge problem with static and distortion. Same with my "lesser" cans.

Extensively on mjolnir/bha-1. Also on ef-6, dynahi, wa22, wa2, phonitor and b22. I think the headphones are acting up, you guys would have to hear them.

post #236 of 2836

They are likely fine.  Some people, mostly HD800, simply don't care for the LCD line.  Staging on either LCD is junk compared to the HD800.

post #237 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

I guess you've mentioned that you really preferred the brighter sound of the HE-6 (and less bright HD800s); and conversely disliked the LCD-2s for not being as bright as you'd like them to be. So I'm figuring that the Audeze "sound" if I could use that phrase, isn't to your liking. But technically, both are outstanding headphones with the nod going to the LCD-3s in terms of a flatter FR response, better square wave responses, being a faster driver, and even lower distortion (I'm of course referring to the post-RMA versions of the LCD-3s). Sound stage wise I found them about on par; which for me was a great improvement over the LCD-2s (either revision). Just to confirm, my comparisons were done with the LCD-3s on my (now sold WA22) and on my brother's McIntosh speaker amp. I personally think the HE-6s do sound best from a good speaker amp, but the difference isn't as huge as many have stated (again IMO).

 

While I can happily live with the 6kHz peak on the HD800s, I found that the wider peak (over a wider frequency range) on the HE-6s a bit too much for me to truly enjoy them fully. In that regard (along with Tyll's measurements) I can see why some (like Tyll) actually prefer the HE-500 to the HE-6s.

 

I dont think you can really say that one of "technically" better than the other Macedonian Hero. The HE-6s for instance have quite a bit better decay plots

 

700

 

700

 

edit: not to mention how wonky the LCD-3 impulse response looks


Edited by SoupRKnowva - 11/17/12 at 12:50pm
post #238 of 2836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

I dont think you can really say that one of "technically" better than the other Macedonian Hero. The HE-6s for instance have quite a bit better decay plots





edit: not to mention how wonky the LCD-3 impulse response looks


There is an issue with that waterfall plot. Unfortunately the January time frame LCD-3s had issues (at least a good number of pairs). So comparisons are difficult. If we're purely talking technical measurements, heck the HE-500s measure a wee bit better than the HE-6s, but most prefer the latter (including myself).

In terms of decay plots, there are much better ones out there of "good LCD-3s". My technical comments were purely based on the innerfidelity data and my first hand experiences owning both for six months or so at the same time. There's a reason that many ( including myself and many seasoned Head-fires) think the LCD-3s are the second best cans out there. YMMV of course and I can totally get how some can prefer the HE-6s, or HD800s, etc. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/17/12 at 2:32pm
post #239 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

There is an issue with that waterfall plot. Unfortunately the January time frame LCD-3s had issues (at least a good number of pairs). So comparisons are difficult. If we're purely talking technical measurements, heck the HE-500s measure a wee bit better than the HE-6s, but most prefer the latter (including myself).
In terms of decay plots, there are much better ones out there of "good LCD-3s". My technical comments were purely based on the innerfidelity data and my first hand experiences owning both for six months or so at the same time. There's a reason that many ( including myself and many seasoned Head-fires) think the LCD-3s are the second best cans out there. YMMV of course and I can totally get how some can prefer the HE-6s, or HD800s, etc. smily_headphones1.gif

+1
LCD 3s are definitely my second favorite.. Have never heard the he 6s personally though.
post #240 of 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


There is an issue with that waterfall plot. Unfortunately the January time frame LCD-3s had issues (at least a good number of pairs). So comparisons are difficult. If we're purely talking technical measurements, heck the HE-500s measure a wee bit better than the HE-6s, but most prefer the latter (including myself).
In terms of decay plots, there are much better ones out there of "good LCD-3s". My technical comments were purely based on the innerfidelity data and my first hand experiences owning both for six months or so at the same time. There's a reason that many ( including myself and many seasoned Head-fires) think the LCD-3s are the second best cans out there. YMMV of course and I can totally get how some can prefer the HE-6s, or HD800s, etc. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Why do you assume theres an issue with the plot? Im pretty sure thats a plot of the best of 4 LCD-3s that Purrin has heard, the scale is quite a bit different than most, it goes all the way down to -55db.

 

Im not trying to say that the LCD-3 is bad, i still havent gotten to hear an unveiled pair, just that you cant point to some of the data that shows the LCD-3 being better, but not look at other data where the HE-6 might be better, and say that the LCD-3 is "technically" better. And yes i would still love to hear the LCD-3s, maybe someone will let me borrow them?? :D i promise to take the best care of them

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread