or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 149

post #2221 of 4457

Sorry, it doesn't matter to me how awesome sounding the DAC is, if it doesn't support all of the formats/sampling rate/bitrate that's available today, it's not good enough for me. I know that there's some debate about validity of anything above 24/96 and EVEN 16/44.1 but in some cases I can clearly hear the difference, and I really hate being limited in any way shape or form.

 

So anyway, there's a few options for me based on DACs: Antelope Zodiac Platinum, Auralic Vega (of course with some headphone Amp), Resonessence Invicta. (If you've got any other DACs you can suggest here)

 

Biggest problem with Zodiac Platinum is what I said from before (Their company is trying to hide info on the DAC itself as if it's magical and can do wonders because it costs so much and has 4 DAC chips/64bit AFC whatever) and also the lack of any discussion about it + No reviews whatsoever, and the ones we have are by questionable "audiophiles" (6moons.... I mean I don't doubt that guy likes sound and music, but it's hard to follow what's going on in it, there's too much unnecessary information and because of that reviews are really not to the point and end up being useless for some of us)

 

What would you say would make me happy eternally, I mainly listen to these genres: Prog Rock/Metal, Classical, Jazz, New Age/Electronica (Era/Enigma and the like)

And based on music elements my priorities are: Detail, Musicality (I know it's a hard combination, and maybe the other proper term for this would be PRaT) and Instrument Separation.

 

If anyone can please suggest me anything good once and for all? Maybe I need to post this in a new topic... though usually these things don't get much attention :P

 

Anyway, thanks, and yes, I'm serious.


Edited by XVampireX - 1/8/14 at 3:19pm
post #2222 of 4457

I have not read through this thread myself, but at least my DAC (Hilo) is included in the shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

 

I have not heard Antelope's latest DAC, but I compared their Zodiac Gold + Voltikus with Hilo and I preferred Hilo. The Zodiac have some added "warmth" to the sound for an "analog" sound and I don't like any form of coloration. However the company is fine, Igor Levin (CEO) is a very funny and competent guy.

post #2223 of 4457
I would go for the Vega + GS-X if I had the money
post #2224 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
 

People I need your help here, the thing is that I've got now the LCD-3's and it's one of the best if not the best (I haven't heard the SR-009 yet) headphones atm, at least the best that I've got :)

 

I'm looking for getting a better audio setup, something that will really wow me, I'm pairing the headphones with the STX sound card, and I must say that I don't know why you're saying it's such a mediocre sound card/DAC, I'm finding it quite good actually.

 

Like I've posted before about this, I went to listen to the Antelope Zodiac Platinum DAC, and while it's great there are some things I'm not really sure about, one of them being that their customer support is really too careful about giving out information about the DAC, which is a warning sign... the thing is that at this price point I'm looking to be getting something really really really amazing for a really long time.

 

So anyways, please people help me out here, I'm looking to spend about this amount of money for the best DAC at this price point, that there can't be possibly anything better and something that will really pair well with the headphones. - Say, can Resonessence Invicta possibly be a better DAC?

 

Any help is appreciated :)

First off, what amp are you using? No reason to buy a Vega if it's being bottlenecked by your upstream.

post #2225 of 4457

No headphone amp whatsoever. The only one right now is the STX card.

post #2226 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
 

No headphone amp whatsoever. The only one right now is the STX card.

There's your answer.

post #2227 of 4457

He said he would buy a Vega and an amp :)

post #2228 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
 

No headphone amp whatsoever. The only one right now is the STX card.

What amps do you have in mind?

post #2229 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

What amps do you have in mind?

 

Asus Essence One 

post #2230 of 4457

I mean desktop amps..

post #2231 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

I mean desktop amps..

 

That is a desktop amp, and it sounds similar to his precious sound card!

post #2232 of 4457

Oh God.

post #2233 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
 

Sorry, it doesn't matter to me how awesome sounding the DAC is, if it doesn't support all of the formats/sampling rate/bitrate that's available today, it's not good enough for me. I know that there's some debate about validity of anything above 24/96 and EVEN 16/44.1 but in some cases I can clearly hear the difference, and I really hate being limited in any way shape or form.

 

So anyway, there's a few options for me based on DACs: Antelope Zodiac Platinum, Auralic Vega (of course with some headphone Amp), Resonessence Invicta. (If you've got any other DACs you can suggest here)

 

Biggest problem with Zodiac Platinum is what I said from before (Their company is trying to hide info on the DAC itself as if it's magical and can do wonders because it costs so much and has 4 DAC chips/64bit AFC whatever) and also the lack of any discussion about it + No reviews whatsoever, and the ones we have are by questionable "audiophiles" (6moons.... I mean I don't doubt that guy likes sound and music, but it's hard to follow what's going on in it, there's too much unnecessary information and because of that reviews are really not to the point and end up being useless for some of us)

 

What would you say would make me happy eternally, I mainly listen to these genres: Prog Rock/Metal, Classical, Jazz, New Age/Electronica (Era/Enigma and the like)

And based on music elements my priorities are: Detail, Musicality (I know it's a hard combination, and maybe the other proper term for this would be PRaT) and Instrument Separation.

 

If anyone can please suggest me anything good once and for all? Maybe I need to post this in a new topic... though usually these things don't get much attention :P

 

Anyway, thanks, and yes, I'm serious.

 

I am not sure why you would believe that.  You're seriously selling yourself short if you only look at DACs that support the highest res formats.  You probably won't listen to anyone else anyways so more power to you.

post #2234 of 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post
 

 

I am not sure why you would believe that.  You're seriously selling yourself short if you only look at DACs that support the highest res formats.  You probably won't listen to anyone else anyways so more power to you.

 

It's not that I won't listen, well yeah, I won't listen if you start suggesting me DACs that end up at only 24/192, that's for sure, like I said, don't like being limited...

I tried posting about the Zodiac Platinum DAC and nobody is talking about, which means it gets no attention because it's probably not good enough and there are better products at this price.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

What amps do you have in mind?

 

Taurus Mk2 or GS-X Mk2 (mark 2, mark 2, mark 2, mark 2 mark 2 XD) basically atm if these are said to be pretty good with the headphones :)

 

But also thinking later on adding tube amp like the Studio Six.


Edited by XVampireX - 1/9/14 at 1:37pm
post #2235 of 4457

You'd really hate my setup.  My main dac maxes out at 20 bit / 48khz.

 

And why go Zodiac when you can have a odac!  j/k kinda sorta not really...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread