Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-500 versus Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/18/13 at 11:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- [PLEASE vote] AUDEZ'E LCD-2 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 vs. Sennheiser HD 800 (vs. AUDEZ'E LCD-3) Last post on 8/23/14 at 6:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity Last post on 8/22/14 at 12:39am in High-end Audio Forum
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 9/18/14 at 3:24am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 119post #1771 of 30879/27/13 at 3:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1772 of 30879/27/13 at 5:02am
Overpriced v Overpriced
If you have LAu money get a GS-X mk2 on the solid state side and look to Eddie Current or ECP for tubes. If you've heard the WA22 and loved it, the B22 is pretty much a stand in for it at half the price, none of the hassle.post #1773 of 30879/27/13 at 6:57amQuote:
Thanks Macedonian. I guess I should ask then what you might recommend to drive the LCD-3's? Looks like you have a GSX MKII? How is it?
Anything that you would recommend around a $2K budget to pair with them?
Thanks.post #1774 of 30879/27/13 at 7:33am
My LCD-3 list looks like this...
GS-X mk2 > Apex Peak /w 5692 > Burson Soloist
There are others that will do but they cost more than those three price points and don't perform as well. WA22, B22, GS-1 are also good just not as good as the other amps for the same money. Some have liked the Schiit Mjolnir which has lots of great points but it's tonal balance and aggression weren't to my liking. Could have been my source at the time though. I have another one on route along with the Gungnir so should know one way or the other soon ;)post #1775 of 30879/27/13 at 7:46ampost #1776 of 30879/27/13 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
My LCD-3 list looks like this...
GS-X mk2 > Apex Peak /w 5692 > Burson Soloist
There are others that will do but they cost more than those three price points and don't perform as well. WA22, B22, GS-1 are also good just not as good as the other amps for the same money. Some have liked the Schiit Mjolnir which has lots of great points but it's tonal balance and aggression weren't to my liking. Could have been my source at the time though. I have another one on route along with the Gungnir so should know one way or the other soon ;)
And where would you place the Audio-gd Master 8 ? :P....
I am set on my choice, but I do respect you thoughts .post #1777 of 30879/27/13 at 8:34amQuote:
-Danielpost #1778 of 30879/27/13 at 10:35amQuote:
sounds about right.
LAu is overpriced and underperforms and i haven't heard WA22, but i know its not the greatest value for the money.
personally i'm buying a WA22 as an endgame tube amp because i want to tube roll and have a euphonic sounding amp, but performance-wise i don't expect it to compete with GSX MK2 or anything like that.post #1779 of 30879/27/13 at 10:38ampost #1780 of 30879/27/13 at 10:59am
M8 is an awesome piece of engineering but until I hear one I don't know for sure that it's character meshes with the LCD-3. I'd kill for some Audio-GD gear made with SMD to get the foot print down. The ones they do have with SMD are all mid level :(
GS-1 w/ mk2 boards would likely match the Soloist. Soloist still have the power and supply advantage though. I believe the GS-1 shipped with a 15VA? transformer to the Burson 35VA.post #1781 of 30879/27/13 at 11:25am
I use an RSA B52 with my LCD3s and there is something special about this combo; the LCD3 is the best headphone that the B52 matches with much better than the HD800 to my ears. The B52 kind of lights it up, but not aggressively, just giving it a sense of life, and also makes the bass very deep and transparent and sonorous.
The Audeze gave me new respect for the B52 which I've owned since new for 6 years. The LCD3 sounds better overall than my former R10s on the B52.
Edited by rgs9200m - 9/27/13 at 11:32ampost #1782 of 30879/27/13 at 12:44pmpost #1783 of 30879/27/13 at 1:33pm
I thought the Audezes were high impedance, or at least low sensitivity. The HD800s and TH900s are more sensitive to me.
I have to turn the gain up much higher with the Audezes than with the other phones on all my amps.post #1784 of 30879/27/13 at 1:50pm
If memory serves the B52 output is 300ohm. LCD-3 is 60, HD800 averages in the 450ohm range. Quick and dirty only 1/5th of the power the B52 pushed actually reached the LCD-3 :Opost #1785 of 30879/27/13 at 3:08pmDoesnt seem like a good pairing with lcd-3, but then again as long as it can make up for the power inefficiencies, some people like the colorations from that impedance mismatch
- Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Looking for a <100$ headphones *Looks like beats solo hd* 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a headphone to pair with iBasso DX90 - driving... 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Help on <$120 headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Birthday present for me!! Budget 600$ Headphone/amp/dac setup for... 5 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)