or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 103

post #1531 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

Mmm...speakers. I'll be looking into those again soon after the Levi comes.

 

"When the Levi comes"...I've been saying that **** for over 8 months now lol. The GSX wait will be like a power nap.

 

-Daniel

 

Levi.... *drools*

How much did you pay for that?

post #1532 of 4523

WOW this thread sure did get going pretty fast.  

 

The LCD-3 sure does have more meat on it's bones when compared to the HD800s.  It's just sometimes it has too much meat - at times..

 

I've also seen where someone said the HD800s scale higher that any other headphone?  I don't find that to tbe the case.  It does scale fairly high that's for sure.  However, compared to the HE-6, no other headphone I've heard has the ability to scale like it does.  The HE-6 has "NO CELLING" IMO.  The Abyss is a possibility, have not heard it yet.  The 009s can't scale as high as the HE-6 from what I've heard.  Although the 009s does some things better, the HE-6 also does things better.

 

I'm also starting to like the LCD-3s more and more. I'm finding the HD800s to be limited, while the LCD-3s becoming more of a jack of all trades - still not as flexible as the HE-6.

 

The LCD-3s & HD800s are not for all music that's for sure.  With the HE-6 I find I can listen to "ALL" music with.  Yes - the LCD-3 and the HD800s are better at some things.  But the HE-6 are better at "most" things IMO.

 

If I was to scale down to a one amp, one DAC, one headphone system a la Soulde.  It would be the HE-6 / F1J / DAC???  The GS-X mk2 would be up for sale in a heart beat.  I just find the GS-X mk2 to be one of the best all around amps out there to be used with multiple headphones.

post #1533 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

WOW this thread sure did get going pretty fast.  

 

The LCD-3 sure does have more meat on it's bones when compared to the HD800s.  It's just sometimes it has too much meat - at times..

 

I've also seen where someone said the HD800s scale higher that any other headphone?  I don't find that to tbe the case.  It does scale fairly high that's for sure.  However, compared to the HE-6, no other headphone I've heard has the ability to scale like it does.  The HE-6 has "NO CELLING" IMO.  The Abyss is a possibility, have not heard it yet.  The 009s can't scale as high as the HE-6 from what I've heard.  Although the 009s does some things better, the HE-6 also does things better.

 

I'm also starting to like the LCD-3s more and more. I'm finding the HD800s to be limited, while the LCD-3s becoming more of a jack of all trades - still not as flexible as the HE-6.

 

The LCD-3s & HD800s are not for all music that's for sure.  With the HE-6 I find I can listen to "ALL" music with.  Yes - the LCD-3 and the HD800s are better at some things.  But the HE-6 are better at "most" things IMO.

 

If I was to scale down to a one amp, one DAC, one headphone system a la Soulde.  It would be the HE-6 / F1J / DAC???  The GS-X mk2 would be up for sale in a heart beat.  I just find the GS-X mk2 to be one of the best all around amps out there to be used with multiple headphones.

 

+1 i feel the same way with beyerdynamic T1.

post #1534 of 4523

Oh yes - and the T1 just adds another to the mix. :biggrin:

post #1535 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

WOW this thread sure did get going pretty fast.  

The LCD-3 sure does have more meat on it's bones when compared to the HD800s.  It's just sometimes it has too much meat - at times..

I've also seen where someone said the HD800s scale higher that any other headphone?  I don't find that to tbe the case.  It does scale fairly high that's for sure.  However, compared to the HE-6, no other headphone I've heard has the ability to scale like it does.  The HE-6 has "NO CELLING" IMO.  The Abyss is a possibility, have not heard it yet.  The 009s can't scale as high as the HE-6 from what I've heard.  Although the 009s does some things better, the HE-6 also does things better.

I'm also starting to like the LCD-3s more and more. I'm finding the HD800s to be limited while the LCD-3s becoming more of a jack of all trades - still not as flexible as the HE-6.

The LCD-3s & HD800s are not for all music that's for sure.  With the HE-6 I find I can listen to "ALL" music with.  Yes - the LCD-3 and the HD800s are better at some things.  But the HE-6 are better at "most" things IMO.

If I was to scale down to a one amp, one DAC, one headphone system a la Soulde.  It would be the HE-6 / F1J / DAC???  The GS-X mk2 would be up for sale in a heart beat.  I just find the GS-X mk2 to be one of the best all around amps out there to be used with multiple headphones.
May I know how do you come to the conclusion that HD800 is limited and HE-6 has no limit in scaling? What kind of music do you find lacking in HD800 and LCD-3?
Edited by froger - 9/15/13 at 8:36am
post #1536 of 4523

Off hand, the HD800 isn't suited to music that is bass driven and the LCD-3 isn't suited to music that needs space to breath.  I have none of the latter in my collection so the LCD-3 for me.

post #1537 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post


May I know how do you come to the conclusion that HD800 is limited and HE-6 has no limit in scaling? What kind of music do you find lacking in HD800 and LCD-3?

 

I''ve come to that conclusion based on lots of amps that I've borrowed, owned and auditioned with both the HD800s and the HE-6.  At this point I'm far beyond headphone amps.  The HE-6 and headphone amps don't mix - IMO..  While the HD800s can find a very good place with more than a few headphone amps out there.  

 

Then we go up - to speaker amps.  The HE-6 gets better as the amps get better.  I'm talking about speaker amps at this point.  The HD800s will top out on a very good headphone amp.  That same headphone amp will do nothing for the HE-6.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Off hand, the HD800 isn't suited to music that is bass driven and the LCD-3 isn't suited to music that needs space to breath.  I have none of the latter in my collection so the LCD-3 for me.

 

Yup - I agree 100% with this.  Also I'll say the HE-6 will do very well with both types..

post #1538 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I''ve come to that conclusion based on lots of amps that I've borrowed, owned and auditioned with both the HD800s and the HE-6.  At this point I'm far beyond headphone amps.  The HE-6 and headphone amps don't mix - IMO..  While the HD800s can find a very good place with more than a few headphone amps out there.  

Then we go up - to speaker amps.  The HE-6 gets better as the amps get better.  I'm talking about speaker amps at this point.  The HD800s will top out on a very good headphone amp.  That same headphone amp will do nothing for the HE-6.  



Yup - I agree 100% with this.  Also I'll say the HE-6 will do very well with both types..
Based on what i read, can I draw the conclusion that HD800 mainly driven by headphone amps is limited by the height headphone amps scale, while the HE-6 since it is best driven by speakers amps, has no limit as there are far more and better speaker amps out there? It seems to me that it is the amplifiers that is scaling rather than the headphones.

The problem I had when I was using my HE-6 with the Decware Mini Torii amp was when I was listening to classical orchestra music, I missed the HD800 and when I was listening to certain Jazz and acoustic music, I missed the LCD-2 and even the HD800. The HE-6 ended being hardly used. Of course, my Mini Torii is no where near the lofty height that HE-6 can scale with more expensive speakers amps.
post #1539 of 4523

So...

 

I plunged and ordered LCD3's two days ago because I'm curious again. Maybe third time's a charm? Yes, this is the third time I'm purchasing a pair and going to stack it up against the HE6 and HD800, again! I'm curious to see if the LCD3 will have any audible changes compared to the two previous ones from last year.

 

I'll be back in a week after I've burned them in 100 hours and A/B/C'd properly.

 

:rolleyes:

post #1540 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 

So...

 

I plunged and ordered LCD3's two days ago because I'm curious again. Maybe third time's a charm? Yes, this is the third time I'm purchasing a pair and going to stack it up against the HE6 and HD800, again! I'm curious to see if the LCD3 will have any audible changes compared to the two previous ones from last year.

 

I'll be back in a week after I've burned them in 100 hours and A/B/C'd properly.

 

:rolleyes:

 

Good luck, Solude! 

:wink::tongue:

post #1541 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post


Based on what i read, can I draw the conclusion that HD800 mainly driven by headphone amps is limited by the height headphone amps scale, while the HE-6 since it is best driven by speakers amps, has no limit as there are far more and better speaker amps out there? It seems to me that it is the amplifiers that is scaling rather than the headphones.

The problem I had when I was using my HE-6 with the Decware Mini Torii amp was when I was listening to classical orchestra music, I missed the HD800 and when I was listening to certain Jazz and acoustic music, I missed the LCD-2 and even the HD800. The HE-6 ended being hardly used. Of course, my Mini Torii is no where near the lofty height that HE-6 can scale with more expensive speakers amps.

 

I'm curious as to how you came up with that?  As I said.  In my experience certain headphones will scale up with better amplification..  The question being, as you go up or scale up in amplification can the headphone follow suite?  IMO the HE-6 does, other headphones ie..HD800, LCD-3 does not.

post #1542 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

 

Good luck, Solude! 

:wink::tongue:

 

Well played sir, well played =)

post #1543 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

 

Good luck, Solude! 

:wink::tongue:

Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

Well played sir, well played =)

LOL. I love experimenting, and I struggle to make decisions so I have to try again and again!

post #1544 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I'm curious as to how you came up with that?  As I said.  In my experience certain headphones will scale up with better amplification..  The question being, as you go up or scale up in amplification can the headphone follow suite?  IMO the HE-6 does, other headphones ie..HD800, LCD-3 does not.
May I know what is the respective amplifier in your opinion that works best for Hd800 and LCDs and what better amplifier did you find not scaling those two cans? I do appreciate some real examples to understand your point.
post #1545 of 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post


May I know what is the respective amplifier in your opinion that works best for Hd800 and LCDs and what better amplifier did you find not scaling those two cans? I do appreciate some real examples to understand your point.

 

Seconded, would be interesting.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread