Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 10

post #136 of 3347

As luck would have it there are a ton of good amps up in the EU right now.

post #137 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneedadvice View Post

Hi 'MacedonianHero'

The GS-X was on my list but has now moved up a notch. If SS is getting that close to Tubes then this has got to be a serious contender (cheaper and altogether more practical)).

Two Amps that were on my list were The Dark Star and the Balancing Act-both have been seriously recommended with the LCD3s-any thoughts?

Interestingly Audeze's  'sponsored' RWA 'Edition' does not appear to be receiving 'top marks'.

 

If anyboby else if following this thread-I'm looking for advice-what Amp for LCD3s for Classical Music use(bearing in mind the Amps being mentioned are not available in the UK and I would probably be buying 'blind')'Solude'has already stated (in his opinion) My Rudistor is crap! so things are moving in the right direction.I'm now thinking,a visit to the US is necessary,possibly Canjam 2013 by then I'd hope to be in a position which Amps to 'target'.Thanks all

I have the BA and IMO it pairs very well with the LCD-3s. BUT for classical, I would recommend HD800s

I'm not a big fan of classical but whenever I'm in a 'classical' mood, the HD800/ECBA is my go to combo   

post #138 of 3347

The Balancing Act is the best current production amp I've heard with the LCD-3 as well as the HD800, but cost of tubes can run up the price.

 

The Liquid Glass is an interesting up-and-comer, and sounded very very good with the modded LCD-3's I tried on it.  It's also a one-box (as opposed to the BA with the PS in a separate box) and only requires two tubes that aren't traditionally expensive (unlike the 300B's and PX4's on the BA.)

post #139 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

The Balancing Act is the best current production amp I've heard with the LCD-3 as well as the HD800, but cost of tubes can run up the price.

 

The Liquid Glass is an interesting up-and-comer, and sounded very very good with the modded LCD-3's I tried on it.  It's also a one-box (as opposed to the BA with the PS in a separate box) and only requires two tubes that aren't traditionally expensive (unlike the 300B's and PX4's on the BA.)

Tell me more..

post #140 of 3347

The specifics of the mod are under wraps.  I was told it took quite a few hours of tuning and damping to sound the way it did, and from memory it had better balance than my LCD-3.  Should I re-buy the LCD-3's I'm definitely going to have to ply the modder to work on mine.

post #141 of 3347

I hope the mod is a bit more sophisticated than the legendary TP mod... biggrin.gif

post #142 of 3347

Hi Solude

Thanks for your advice.

I've been using Headphones for some years now and probably didn't do the obvious when I first started my 'thread' a few weeks ago asking for advice.Thinking the UK market didn't exist,I didn't bother with the notion that high end Amps were available in this Country.

Anyway,I did what you advise and looked through the 'for sale' forum and found a Ray Samuel B-52 for sale(2nd hand).

Too far to travel but I consider it's worth taking a gamble and buying 'blind'. (certainly a lot cheaper than importing one!)

So for anybody else reading this forum,I no longer require advice!!

Thanks again

David

post #143 of 3347

B52 is a great high impedance headphone amplifier that is overpriced but good performer none the less.  Not a good low impedance choice though because of its output impedance.

post #144 of 3347

Hi Solude

Well to buy new,get imported, plus the cost of upgrades,I estimate to be about $7030.Postage was free ,so I effectively paid about $3040!!Only 9 months old and little used !! Plus the previous owner had used it with LCD3s(and many others) listening to Classical music.So although I have had to buy 'blind',I'm very confident(at this time)that it was a good purchase.(Only problem, he wasn't very complimentary about the LCD3s!!We'll see?

post #145 of 3347

Some disagree but the high output impedance doesn't do well with orthos.  Fantastic with the HD800 though.

post #146 of 3347
Kid A on this ALO Rx Mk3 headphone amp I just got in, 
using my iPod Touch as source (NO compressed files) via Moon Audio's LOD cable and Audeze LCD3's (from balanced output
using ALO break-out cable)..  OOOOOHHHHH  MMMYYYYY
 
I'm having FUN
 

 

post #147 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

Kid A on this ALO Rx Mk3 headphone amp I just got in, 
using my iPod Touch as source (NO compressed files) via Moon Audio's LOD cable and Audeze LCD3's (from balanced output
using ALO break-out cable)..  OOOOOHHHHH  MMMYYYYY
 
I'm having FUN
 

 

NICE!

IME, it's a great amp and works very well with both the LCD-3s & T1s.

Add the CLAS and it will go a few notches up.

post #148 of 3347

Nice setup.  I agree that the MK3 is a great match with the LCD-3s--better than the SR71B, IMO.  Try adding the CLAS for even better resolution.  

 

Someone was asking earlier about a transportable/bedside rig for the LCD-3, I would suggest the CLAS/MK3.  It really does seem to sound as good or better than a typical mid-range desktop setup, and I could easily live with it as my main LCD-3 rig if I were limited to a $1k budget and/or needed transportability.

post #149 of 3347

Sold mine just yesterday!

Didn't see myself using open cans on-the-go

 

 

 

 

 

post #150 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post

Nice setup.  I agree that the MK3 is a great match with the LCD-3s--better than the SR71B, IMO.  Try adding the CLAS for even better resolution.  

 

Someone was asking earlier about a transportable/bedside rig for the LCD-3, I would suggest the CLAS/MK3.  It really does seem to sound as good or better than a typical mid-range desktop setup, and I could easily live with it as my main LCD-3 rig if I were limited to a $1k budget and/or needed transportability.

I will. Thanks for the tip!!

I'm SO pumped.  I mean, I've been in the high end audio and music industries since I was a teenager,

and I never thought after all this time I'd have such an AMAZING new sonic journey to take!

I can't stop listening on headphones!

As a tech house DJ of many years - cans were always a tool for mixing, beatmatching, queing, and

listening on airplanes.

 

I've spent more time on these portable rigs that I have in for review than my reference stereo system!!  And I just got the tube pre-amp of my dreams

from my wifey (an E.A.R 868)!!!!f

 

here's what I'm running now:::

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread