- 1,390 Posts. Joined 3/2008
- Location: North Carolina
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-500 versus Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/18/13 at 11:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- [PLEASE vote] AUDEZ'E LCD-2 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 vs. Sennheiser HD 800 (vs. AUDEZ'E LCD-3) Last post on 11/1/14 at 5:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity Last post on 8/22/14 at 12:39am in High-end Audio Forum
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Noble BTS Review by HiFiChris Preamble: Before I start with my actual review, I want to thank Noble Audio and especially Brannan Mason for providing me with a sample of the BTS for my...
Head-Fi, Fiio X5 and me I came out of my lurking in January 2014 to join Head-Fi, I was looking for a DAP to replace my Creative Zen X-Fi's whose display had a 'black ink' spreading...
Foreword: I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts in : - live venues, - concert halls, - bars, and -...
For me, they are the best ever. Maybe someday i'll listen to something 'better'? Well, we'll see. PD: The Highs can bother some people with their 2k and 8-9k peaks. For me it's fine, but it's...
In terms of design it is good looking and cofortable. Usb is meaningless to me, my laptops built-in sound card is better sounding than that usb. G430 sounds bad and unnatural, it shoud be better at...
Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 74post #1096 of 39678/6/13 at 9:54amCool thanks for the impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 39678/6/13 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by nigeljamesQuote:Originally Posted by mikebirm49
Choosing between my LCD-3s or my HD800s (if it's a matter of choosing just between those two) is always a function of the music I'm listening to. If it's jazz or rock I automatically reach for the LCD-3s. Classical and its the 800s. I can't say either one is superior, just genre specific. The LCD-3s sound a bit too dark for Classical. The 800s are just a bit too bass deficient for a truly first class jazz/rock experience. Anyone else share these criteria?
I find the HD800's have plenty of bass for rock & metal.
Absolutely no need for any mods on the HD800's for me.
I don't have the LCD3's but the HD800's bass is a lot cleaner and precise than the LCD2.2's bass.
i am right with you on the HD800s. BUT, hate to tell you this but you need to sell your kidney and get an LCD-3.post #1098 of 39678/6/13 at 3:03pmpost #1099 of 39678/6/13 at 3:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dubstep GirlQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
My LCD3s are just stunning. Every thing I have ever listened to on these phones has been just awesome. For me trading in the 2r2s for the 3s was definitely one of the few things actually done right this lifetime! ;0)
Money well spent. But it is a really good thing that we all do have choices that are available and all it takes is money...
i just sold my LCD-2 last night. it was really hard to sell them, since i felt they still offered more midbass and a sort of different slightly less dark and smooth presentation that was good for some things.
however, the LCD-3 just have transparency and holographic imaging thats on another level. its about as good as it gets, so i can't really go back to LCD-2, the LCD-3 are clearly the better headphone.
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!post #1100 of 39678/6/13 at 5:36pmThread Starterpost #1101 of 39678/6/13 at 9:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by analog'd
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!
thanks!!!post #1102 of 39678/6/13 at 10:27pm
Just a quick note to introduce myself, a VERY happy new owner of a pair of LCD-3s! I previously owned the LCD 2.2s and have to echo the thoughts of many other members in saying the 3s are definitely worth the extra $. They simply take everything the 2s do well and do it better. Absolutely breathtaking wood finish (you have to see it to appreciate it) and the ear pads are incredibly more comfortable than the 2s.
Currently feeding them with Jriver Mediacenter ASIO --> Schitt Bifrost UBER Gen2 USB --> Schitt Lyr (stock tubes) --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cable --> LCD-3.
I welcome any input on where I should start with regard to source upgrades, have been eyeballing the Schitt Mjolnir/Gungnir combo but I would like to be sure that other options in roughly the same price range shouldn't be considered. I live in Alaska and as such cannot audition any of these products without purchase, and the cost of shipping is prohibitive in and out of the state.
Thanks in advance!post #1103 of 39678/6/13 at 11:47pmpost #1104 of 39678/7/13 at 12:03amQuote:
Maybe not "all that" but a step up - yes.. Also, lots of it depends on preference as well.post #1105 of 39678/7/13 at 12:38am
Preference, gear, sensitivity to changes in sound, etc. Possibilities. It indeed was a step up no doubt, but I still couldn't quite justify the $1000 bump in the end...
But then again I couldn't justify keeping any kind of headphone set up anymore and ended up migrating to speaker-fi.
Reading this thread makes me want to get the LCD3 again. Maybe when the Ragnarok comes out and I can swap my C275BEE for it since the Rag is apparently a power amp as well.post #1106 of 39678/7/13 at 2:56ampost #1107 of 39678/7/13 at 3:40ampost #1108 of 39678/7/13 at 6:00ampost #1109 of 39678/7/13 at 8:04am
Uhh, well during the time I had the LCD3, I had the Mjolnir and the Stratus. I may have to go listen to a GSX2 and reevaluate.post #1110 of 39678/7/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
Did you use any upgraded tubes? I thought the Stratus sounded very average with the stock tubes on the LCD3, but really excellent when using the Sophias or EMLs.
- Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Centrance Hifi M8 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Recommend high-end IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 7 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 8 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 9 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by Gonomon
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3