- 1,390 Posts. Joined 3/2008
- Location: North Carolina
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-500 versus Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/18/13 at 11:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- [PLEASE vote] AUDEZ'E LCD-2 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 vs. Sennheiser HD 800 (vs. AUDEZ'E LCD-3) Last post on 11/1/14 at 5:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity Last post on 8/22/14 at 12:39am in High-end Audio Forum
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The Philps Fidelio X2 was purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Philips. Introduction: The Philips Fidelio X2 is Philips top of the line full size open headphones. I picked up...
Still burning-in, but I can already say they are by far the best sounding IEM's I've ever heard. Fantastically clear/clean through the mids and treble - tremendous detail resolution without things...
$250 (got mine 10% off from a promo code on theheadphonelist.com but it was only valid for 2014) - 2 Balanced armature Drivers - 1 Bass Driver - 1 High Frequency Driver - 1 sound bore -...
Intro There are very few headphones which have survived three decades and still remain as the main workhorse for many sound professionals around the world. The Sony MDR-7506 started out as...
This is not a review, just my simple impression of Grado SR80e. I purchased SR80e and listened to them... what a hell is going on...lol..at this price point...sounds great...I am now a fan boy of...
Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 74post #1096 of 37698/6/13 at 9:54amCool thanks for the impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 37698/6/13 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by nigeljamesQuote:Originally Posted by mikebirm49
Choosing between my LCD-3s or my HD800s (if it's a matter of choosing just between those two) is always a function of the music I'm listening to. If it's jazz or rock I automatically reach for the LCD-3s. Classical and its the 800s. I can't say either one is superior, just genre specific. The LCD-3s sound a bit too dark for Classical. The 800s are just a bit too bass deficient for a truly first class jazz/rock experience. Anyone else share these criteria?
I find the HD800's have plenty of bass for rock & metal.
Absolutely no need for any mods on the HD800's for me.
I don't have the LCD3's but the HD800's bass is a lot cleaner and precise than the LCD2.2's bass.
i am right with you on the HD800s. BUT, hate to tell you this but you need to sell your kidney and get an LCD-3.post #1098 of 37698/6/13 at 3:03pmpost #1099 of 37698/6/13 at 3:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dubstep GirlQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
My LCD3s are just stunning. Every thing I have ever listened to on these phones has been just awesome. For me trading in the 2r2s for the 3s was definitely one of the few things actually done right this lifetime! ;0)
Money well spent. But it is a really good thing that we all do have choices that are available and all it takes is money...
i just sold my LCD-2 last night. it was really hard to sell them, since i felt they still offered more midbass and a sort of different slightly less dark and smooth presentation that was good for some things.
however, the LCD-3 just have transparency and holographic imaging thats on another level. its about as good as it gets, so i can't really go back to LCD-2, the LCD-3 are clearly the better headphone.
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!post #1100 of 37698/6/13 at 5:36pmThread Starterpost #1101 of 37698/6/13 at 9:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by analog'd
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!
thanks!!!post #1102 of 37698/6/13 at 10:27pm
Just a quick note to introduce myself, a VERY happy new owner of a pair of LCD-3s! I previously owned the LCD 2.2s and have to echo the thoughts of many other members in saying the 3s are definitely worth the extra $. They simply take everything the 2s do well and do it better. Absolutely breathtaking wood finish (you have to see it to appreciate it) and the ear pads are incredibly more comfortable than the 2s.
Currently feeding them with Jriver Mediacenter ASIO --> Schitt Bifrost UBER Gen2 USB --> Schitt Lyr (stock tubes) --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cable --> LCD-3.
I welcome any input on where I should start with regard to source upgrades, have been eyeballing the Schitt Mjolnir/Gungnir combo but I would like to be sure that other options in roughly the same price range shouldn't be considered. I live in Alaska and as such cannot audition any of these products without purchase, and the cost of shipping is prohibitive in and out of the state.
Thanks in advance!post #1103 of 37698/6/13 at 11:47pmpost #1104 of 37698/7/13 at 12:03amQuote:
Maybe not "all that" but a step up - yes.. Also, lots of it depends on preference as well.post #1105 of 37698/7/13 at 12:38am
Preference, gear, sensitivity to changes in sound, etc. Possibilities. It indeed was a step up no doubt, but I still couldn't quite justify the $1000 bump in the end...
But then again I couldn't justify keeping any kind of headphone set up anymore and ended up migrating to speaker-fi.
Reading this thread makes me want to get the LCD3 again. Maybe when the Ragnarok comes out and I can swap my C275BEE for it since the Rag is apparently a power amp as well.post #1106 of 37698/7/13 at 2:56ampost #1107 of 37698/7/13 at 3:40ampost #1108 of 37698/7/13 at 6:00ampost #1109 of 37698/7/13 at 8:04am
Uhh, well during the time I had the LCD3, I had the Mjolnir and the Stratus. I may have to go listen to a GSX2 and reevaluate.post #1110 of 37698/7/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
Did you use any upgraded tubes? I thought the Stratus sounded very average with the stock tubes on the LCD3, but really excellent when using the Sophias or EMLs.
- Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Rank the most accurate headphones you've heard. 32 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 48 seconds ago
- › Amp/DAC under $150 with as much output power as Magni 2? 53 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 55 seconds ago
- › Chord DAVE ....new flagship dac 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by peter123
- › Sennheiser IE800 by Lan647
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2