- 1,382 Posts. Joined 3/2008
- Location: North Carolina
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-500 versus Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/18/13 at 11:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- [PLEASE vote] AUDEZ'E LCD-2 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 vs. Sennheiser HD 800 (vs. AUDEZ'E LCD-3) Last post on 8/23/14 at 6:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or LCD2 - questions about long-term comfort and longevity Last post on 8/22/14 at 12:39am in High-end Audio Forum
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 7/11/14 at 10:27am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 74post #1096 of 29818/6/13 at 9:54amCool thanks for the impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 29818/6/13 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by nigeljamesQuote:Originally Posted by mikebirm49
Choosing between my LCD-3s or my HD800s (if it's a matter of choosing just between those two) is always a function of the music I'm listening to. If it's jazz or rock I automatically reach for the LCD-3s. Classical and its the 800s. I can't say either one is superior, just genre specific. The LCD-3s sound a bit too dark for Classical. The 800s are just a bit too bass deficient for a truly first class jazz/rock experience. Anyone else share these criteria?
I find the HD800's have plenty of bass for rock & metal.
Absolutely no need for any mods on the HD800's for me.
I don't have the LCD3's but the HD800's bass is a lot cleaner and precise than the LCD2.2's bass.
i am right with you on the HD800s. BUT, hate to tell you this but you need to sell your kidney and get an LCD-3.post #1098 of 29818/6/13 at 3:03pmpost #1099 of 29818/6/13 at 3:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dubstep GirlQuote:Originally Posted by commtrd
My LCD3s are just stunning. Every thing I have ever listened to on these phones has been just awesome. For me trading in the 2r2s for the 3s was definitely one of the few things actually done right this lifetime! ;0)
Money well spent. But it is a really good thing that we all do have choices that are available and all it takes is money...
i just sold my LCD-2 last night. it was really hard to sell them, since i felt they still offered more midbass and a sort of different slightly less dark and smooth presentation that was good for some things.
however, the LCD-3 just have transparency and holographic imaging thats on another level. its about as good as it gets, so i can't really go back to LCD-2, the LCD-3 are clearly the better headphone.
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!post #1100 of 29818/6/13 at 5:36pmThread Starterpost #1101 of 29818/6/13 at 9:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by analog'd
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!
thanks!!!post #1102 of 29818/6/13 at 10:27pm
Just a quick note to introduce myself, a VERY happy new owner of a pair of LCD-3s! I previously owned the LCD 2.2s and have to echo the thoughts of many other members in saying the 3s are definitely worth the extra $. They simply take everything the 2s do well and do it better. Absolutely breathtaking wood finish (you have to see it to appreciate it) and the ear pads are incredibly more comfortable than the 2s.
Currently feeding them with Jriver Mediacenter ASIO --> Schitt Bifrost UBER Gen2 USB --> Schitt Lyr (stock tubes) --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cable --> LCD-3.
I welcome any input on where I should start with regard to source upgrades, have been eyeballing the Schitt Mjolnir/Gungnir combo but I would like to be sure that other options in roughly the same price range shouldn't be considered. I live in Alaska and as such cannot audition any of these products without purchase, and the cost of shipping is prohibitive in and out of the state.
Thanks in advance!post #1103 of 29818/6/13 at 11:47pm
Are my ears retarded, or am I the only one who thinks the LCD3 is wonderful, but it's not really an ASTONISHING and MINDBLOWING upgrade from the LCD2?post #1104 of 29818/7/13 at 12:03amQuote:
Maybe not "all that" but a step up - yes.. Also, lots of it depends on preference as well.post #1105 of 29818/7/13 at 12:38am
Preference, gear, sensitivity to changes in sound, etc. Possibilities. It indeed was a step up no doubt, but I still couldn't quite justify the $1000 bump in the end...
But then again I couldn't justify keeping any kind of headphone set up anymore and ended up migrating to speaker-fi.
Reading this thread makes me want to get the LCD3 again. Maybe when the Ragnarok comes out and I can swap my C275BEE for it since the Rag is apparently a power amp as well.post #1106 of 29818/7/13 at 2:56ampost #1107 of 29818/7/13 at 3:40ampost #1108 of 29818/7/13 at 6:00ampost #1109 of 29818/7/13 at 8:04am
Uhh, well during the time I had the LCD3, I had the Mjolnir and the Stratus. I may have to go listen to a GSX2 and reevaluate.post #1110 of 29818/7/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
Did you use any upgraded tubes? I thought the Stratus sounded very average with the stock tubes on the LCD3, but really excellent when using the Sophias or EMLs.
- Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 53 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 2 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Newport International Runway Group Tokyo Fashion: TOKYO RULLEBANE 2014 7 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 8 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)