Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread - Page 69

post #1021 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Just remember this:
"there are no measurements that prove LOVE is real!"

 

There are actually since love is a chemical release like all emotion.  But on topic.

 

Audio memory is crap.  If you want to do this burn in test, take notes detailing what you hear.

 

To save you some time.  Orthos aren't rigid dynamic speaker drivers, they don't loosen up like the cone of a speaker.  The pads get somewhat more pliable but not off the head.  Even in electronics, burn in, is really just coming up to temp.  So while electronics benefit from being on long enough to come up to temp, headphones aren't affected by in use time.  Which is good because if either could change significantly over such a short period of time, they'd be completely wrecked within months ;)

 

To be fair, I used to burn in headphones when I was more of a speaker guy.  Electronics I never turn off so you could say I burn them in but it's about keeping them stable not cycling devices to condition them.

post #1022 of 3046

messing around taking pics of my lcd3 last night

 

im no loevhagen but i thought this one turned out kinda cool

 

 

1000

 

just a sony cybershot, no editing 

post #1023 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post

messing around taking pics of my lcd3 last night

 

im no loevhagen but i thought this one turned out kinda cool

 

 

1000

 

just a sony cybershot, no editing 

GREAT shot!!

 

Being BLOWN AWAY listening to my LCD3's and my E.A.R HP4 - crankin' this new album:

Thundercat - Apocalypse 

 

AMAZING

post #1024 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

There are actually since love is a chemical release like all emotion.  But on topic.

 

Audio memory is crap.  If you want to do this burn in test, take notes detailing what you hear.

 

To save you some time.  Orthos aren't rigid dynamic speaker drivers, they don't loosen up like the cone of a speaker.  The pads get somewhat more pliable but not off the head.  Even in electronics, burn in, is really just coming up to temp.  So while electronics benefit from being on long enough to come up to temp, headphones aren't affected by in use time.  Which is good because if either could change significantly over such a short period of time, they'd be completely wrecked within months ;)

 

To be fair, I used to burn in headphones when I was more of a speaker guy.  Electronics I never turn off so you could say I burn them in but it's about keeping them stable not cycling devices to condition them.

If you feel that Love is mostly a chemical release I think you're probably missing something big here. But as you say, back to the topic.  

 

If Burn-In was not applicable to Planer Magnetic HPs (which is the opposite of my experience), why does Audeze themselves burn In their phones off the head for at least 50hours before letting them out the door? To test if they work for 50 hours? They could figure that out in one hour since there are hardly any moving parts. Or maybe they need 50 hours to come up to temp...? Unlikely. Or maybe, just maybe, they do it because it makes their products sound better when their customers first get them?

 

Just to make sure I wasn't the only one who has this experience, I asked industry veteran Ethan Wood from the Cable Company, where I purchased my LCD-3s. He sells, auditions and loans out hundreds of HPs a year and he said flat out that the LCD-3s will benefit dramatically from up to 400 hours of burn-in. Well, maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

 

I do agree with you that taking careful and detailed notes during the experiment I suggested for "thegrobe," would be important... but my aural memory is not "crap" and I doubt yours is either. Maybe you need some burn in to relax a bit. wink_face.gif

post #1025 of 3046

Well if a cable guy believes it, it must be true ;)

 

Audeze says he's wrong.  They've yelled it from the roof tops over and over... their diaphragm is stable and does not change over time.  Pads are another story and if your head is big enough, that would be me, the foam compresses quickly putting the drivers closer to the ear which does change the sound.  Stretch the headband early enough and this isn't an issue.

 

The 50 hours is QC.  I'd add it's a low number for the price tag.  A lot of gear in the $1000+ range get at least 200 hours before hitting the door.

 

Temp was in relation to transistors/tubes not headphones :P

post #1026 of 3046

is it possible for one pad to compress on your head more than the other? i'm starting notice an extremely subtle imbalance. the left side compresses a bit more and i can't help but think the right driver is a smidge louder. i'm also noticing that vocals aren't dead center on the lcd-3. a lot of times they'll be right or left dominant. does anyone else experience this?

post #1027 of 3046

If there is an OR then it's fine.  If it was always pulled to one side... imbalance.  My first pair has a 2dB imbalance when they came back from RMA.

post #1028 of 3046
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

If there is an OR then it's fine.  If it was always pulled to one side... imbalance.  My first pair has a 2dB imbalance when they came back from RMA.

I was thinking the same thing. The other thing I might also add is under powering orthos (HE-6/HE-500/LCD-2/3) tends to focus less on the centre. Give'em the power they need and then they straighten out.

 

To check for imbalance issues, I like to use these test tones and an SPL meter:

 

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

post #1029 of 3046

What is the cheapest source for LCD-3?

post #1030 of 3046

For Sale forum... zing =)  Otherwise same price everywhere.

post #1031 of 3046

Every time I feel my HD800 and TH900 are getting the best of me... the LCD 3 lurks between them running off speaker taps and gets back in the race.... listening to them right now as I type reminds me why these are so appreciated!  Putting them on speaker taps has been the best things for these.

 


Edited by jjshin23 - 7/1/13 at 1:43pm
post #1032 of 3046

How come no dealers have the LCD-3 in stock right now? Is Audeze working on a new rev or something? 

post #1033 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post

How come no dealers have the LCD-3 in stock right now? Is Audeze working on a new rev or something? 

Headamp lists them in limited stock.

post #1034 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Headamp lists them in limited stock.

Already tried. He lists them as 'limited stock' but says they are actually on backorder. 

post #1035 of 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post

Already tried. He lists them as 'limited stock' but says they are actually on backorder. 

Time to go Zebra huntin'! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread