What is the difference between custom and universal fit in-ear headphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice: silicone custom IEM? Last post on 10/21/12 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Full size vs iem vs custom Last post on 8/24/13 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM Recommendations? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:18pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!) Last post on 12/24/14 at 3:05am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Today I got this MP3 player but I am debating to keep it or not because the button layout is horrible. Also, the user interface is choppy with FLAC files. There is a noticable lag when choosing...
I’ve had my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 now for a sufficient time period to post my thoughts. I will use a subjective 5 point scoring system. Setup: Power Conditioning: Blue Circle...
Here we go again. It seems like every other review I've done lately has been on some product from this up-and-coming company that is making a name for itself. Luckily for us, this IEM from...
I tested it with Dr.Chesky's Binaural album and Depeche Mode flacs. What I like most is of course bass response..it is more than enough, maybe a bit exaggerated, aggressive. Overall, I am...
I used this sound card for 5 years. It replaced that time my previous card M-Audio Audiophile 2496. As far as I know at present (2014/2015) it is not possible to buy this card as new in Europe....
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
no seriously... is it really that hard to work out, the answer is in the question, one is custom and one is universal, custom means... a one off, customised, in this case, made to fit your ears only and with your choice of colours and design and in some cases specification. universal means everybody, not customised, in this case made for every ear and sold in the thousands as one design. customs cost more because they are made for you and specifically for you, giving ideal comfort, design and sound you want.
-Universals, as the name suggests, are universally going to fit in your ears (tip dependant)
I can get out the earbud and shove them in my friend's ears (lol)
-Customs, are CUSTOM, thus these are made per person - as all our ear canals are different in some way, shape or form, they are not universally "transferable".
So if you bought some USED customs, you would have to get them "re-moulded" for your ears.
Customs provide better SQ (usually) but then again are A LOT more expensive than your ordinary universal.
1) Customs sound "a little bit better" that the best high end universals but cost almost 3X as much? You must ask yourself it it is worth it "TO ME."
2) If you generally do NOT have fit issues with universals, this is great and should play into the value of a universal versus custom.
3) If you spend a ton of money on customs and have fit issues it is a sickening nightmare. No way around that.
- custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi 1 minute ago
- › USB-SPDIF or DAC for Marantz PM6005 ? 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Will the Grado 225i's benefit from a headphone amp? 5 minutes ago
- › Anyone ever recabled a Sansui SS-100? 6 minutes ago
- › Project Ember review 11 minutes ago
- › Best Bang for Buck amp for HD800s-Should I upgrade my amp? 11 minutes ago
- › Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones 12 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The House of Marley Liberate XL BT by Giogio
- › Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones by fjhuerta
- › JBL Synchros 400BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphones, Black by Giogio
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)