What is the difference between custom and universal fit in-ear headphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice: silicone custom IEM? Last post on 10/21/12 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Full size vs iem vs custom Last post on 8/24/13 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM Recommendations? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:18pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The sound signature on these can be described as almost "Grado"esque. They have a mid/high forward sound that makes them great for guitar rock. They don't have the harsh treble that is...
DOI: I don't get to listen to new gear a lot so I may not be any use at answering questions about comparisons to anything other than my own stuff (which may or may not be considered esoteric). I...
Greetings Head-fi, Today, we are going to be taking a look at the QKZ W1 Pro. This is a budget-minded, sports-focused, earphone that offers some great value for those looking to purchase...
Before I begin, I'd like to thank @NLNH for sending me a set free of charge in exchange for my review. I will try and be as honest and truthful as I can in my review regardless. To be honest, when...
DUNU TITAN 5 Quick Review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/806906/dunu-titan-5-review-by-mark2410 Brief: DUNU have triplets. Price: £95 or...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
custom vs universal fit
no seriously... is it really that hard to work out, the answer is in the question, one is custom and one is universal, custom means... a one off, customised, in this case, made to fit your ears only and with your choice of colours and design and in some cases specification. universal means everybody, not customised, in this case made for every ear and sold in the thousands as one design. customs cost more because they are made for you and specifically for you, giving ideal comfort, design and sound you want.
-Universals, as the name suggests, are universally going to fit in your ears (tip dependant)
I can get out the earbud and shove them in my friend's ears (lol)
-Customs, are CUSTOM, thus these are made per person - as all our ear canals are different in some way, shape or form, they are not universally "transferable".
So if you bought some USED customs, you would have to get them "re-moulded" for your ears.
Customs provide better SQ (usually) but then again are A LOT more expensive than your ordinary universal.
1) Customs sound "a little bit better" that the best high end universals but cost almost 3X as much? You must ask yourself it it is worth it "TO ME."
2) If you generally do NOT have fit issues with universals, this is great and should play into the value of a universal versus custom.
3) If you spend a ton of money on customs and have fit issues it is a sickening nightmare. No way around that.
- custom vs universal fit
- › Audeze SINE Series 14 seconds ago
- › Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3 1 minute ago
- › AUDIO over IP - the coming wave! The AES67 and AVB Ethernet... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Ghentaudio Cables - Impressions & Opinions. (First impressions &... 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd DI-U8 Audio Interface (Xmos U8) 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Which headphones do you use for PC gaming? 7 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 8 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD-660 by Wiljen
- › ACS T1 by Docjitters
- › QKZ W1 Pro - In-ear sport headphone by B9Scrambler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mechgamer123
- › Dunu TITAN 5 by mark2410
- › FiiO AM5 - High Power Amplifier Module for X7 by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Truss - The All Metal Under Desk Dual Headphone Hanger... by Wokei
- › Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G5 by Evshrug
- › Brainwavz XFIT XF-200 In-Ear Sport Earbuds Noise Isolating... by thatBeatsguy
- › SONY MDRZX330BT/B Sony MDR ZX330BT - Headset - on-ear - wireless -... by Army-Firedawg
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse