What is the difference between custom and universal fit in-ear headphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice: silicone custom IEM? Last post on 10/21/12 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Full size vs iem vs custom Last post on 8/24/13 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM Recommendations? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:18pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!) Last post on 9/19/14 at 7:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
no seriously... is it really that hard to work out, the answer is in the question, one is custom and one is universal, custom means... a one off, customised, in this case, made to fit your ears only and with your choice of colours and design and in some cases specification. universal means everybody, not customised, in this case made for every ear and sold in the thousands as one design. customs cost more because they are made for you and specifically for you, giving ideal comfort, design and sound you want.
-Universals, as the name suggests, are universally going to fit in your ears (tip dependant)
I can get out the earbud and shove them in my friend's ears (lol)
-Customs, are CUSTOM, thus these are made per person - as all our ear canals are different in some way, shape or form, they are not universally "transferable".
So if you bought some USED customs, you would have to get them "re-moulded" for your ears.
Customs provide better SQ (usually) but then again are A LOT more expensive than your ordinary universal.
1) Customs sound "a little bit better" that the best high end universals but cost almost 3X as much? You must ask yourself it it is worth it "TO ME."
2) If you generally do NOT have fit issues with universals, this is great and should play into the value of a universal versus custom.
3) If you spend a ton of money on customs and have fit issues it is a sickening nightmare. No way around that.
- custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions 18 seconds ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 24 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 36 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 50 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › New member looking for computer audio help 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › I will surely hate myself 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)