What is the difference between custom and universal fit in-ear headphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice: silicone custom IEM? Last post on 10/21/12 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Full size vs iem vs custom Last post on 8/24/13 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM Recommendations? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:18pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!) Last post on Today at 9:27 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair,...
Wow...these cans seem to generate a lot of passion! Mr. Tech Agent's review below is a pretty tough act to follow, but I will try. 1st a quote from the literature that comes with the HD 650's:...
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
no seriously... is it really that hard to work out, the answer is in the question, one is custom and one is universal, custom means... a one off, customised, in this case, made to fit your ears only and with your choice of colours and design and in some cases specification. universal means everybody, not customised, in this case made for every ear and sold in the thousands as one design. customs cost more because they are made for you and specifically for you, giving ideal comfort, design and sound you want.
-Universals, as the name suggests, are universally going to fit in your ears (tip dependant)
I can get out the earbud and shove them in my friend's ears (lol)
-Customs, are CUSTOM, thus these are made per person - as all our ear canals are different in some way, shape or form, they are not universally "transferable".
So if you bought some USED customs, you would have to get them "re-moulded" for your ears.
Customs provide better SQ (usually) but then again are A LOT more expensive than your ordinary universal.
1) Customs sound "a little bit better" that the best high end universals but cost almost 3X as much? You must ask yourself it it is worth it "TO ME."
2) If you generally do NOT have fit issues with universals, this is great and should play into the value of a universal versus custom.
3) If you spend a ton of money on customs and have fit issues it is a sickening nightmare. No way around that.
- custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E... 1 minute ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Need reference headphones using a Scarlett 2i2 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7000 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 4 minutes ago
- › Which headphones to try? 5 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)