What is the difference between custom and universal fit in-ear headphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice: silicone custom IEM? Last post on 10/21/12 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Full size vs iem vs custom Last post on 8/24/13 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM Recommendations? Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:18pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
no seriously... is it really that hard to work out, the answer is in the question, one is custom and one is universal, custom means... a one off, customised, in this case, made to fit your ears only and with your choice of colours and design and in some cases specification. universal means everybody, not customised, in this case made for every ear and sold in the thousands as one design. customs cost more because they are made for you and specifically for you, giving ideal comfort, design and sound you want.
-Universals, as the name suggests, are universally going to fit in your ears (tip dependant)
I can get out the earbud and shove them in my friend's ears (lol)
-Customs, are CUSTOM, thus these are made per person - as all our ear canals are different in some way, shape or form, they are not universally "transferable".
So if you bought some USED customs, you would have to get them "re-moulded" for your ears.
Customs provide better SQ (usually) but then again are A LOT more expensive than your ordinary universal.
1) Customs sound "a little bit better" that the best high end universals but cost almost 3X as much? You must ask yourself it it is worth it "TO ME."
2) If you generally do NOT have fit issues with universals, this is great and should play into the value of a universal versus custom.
3) If you spend a ton of money on customs and have fit issues it is a sickening nightmare. No way around that.
- custom vs universal fit
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 22 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 23 seconds ago
- › Luxury & Precision LP5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player... 50 seconds ago
- › Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12) 55 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-400 (HE-6 Box- Alpha Pads- Jergpads- velour) grill mod... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennhiser Amperior vs HD25 vs AKGk545 5 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2