- 2,340 Posts. Joined 7/2010
- Location: Riverside,NJ
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which brand sounds the clearest with moderate to high bass? Last post on 11/7/12 at 6:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Global Force, DJ and Producer TIËSTO, Teams With AKG for New Headphone Line Last post on 10/14/12 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I need help to pave my journey towards audiophiliation! Last post on 9/7/12 at 8:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Possible Rare Headphones? Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
At the time this review was written, the Echobox Finder X1 was listed for sale on their website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
At the time this review was written, the Alpha & Delta was listed for sale on Lendmeurears website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid) - Page 16post #226 of 2334/16/12 at 12:22aminteresting. i usually found fluffing out the pads with cotton improve overall performance.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #227 of 2334/16/12 at 6:35pmThread Starterpost #228 of 2334/17/12 at 6:53amThread Starterpost #229 of 2334/18/12 at 6:56amthe swiveling comes from the little protector over the driver. the wiring on the 250's looks like the same as the sextetts using 4-core wiring. you could actually easily cut the 1/4'' jack off and solder a 4-pin xlr jack to it if you wanted to. also even though it's not listed i would defiantly experiment and try some foam or maybe thin layer of fiberglass cause the 240 series and 250 are only semi-open meaning there is still high possibility of enclosure resonance and standing wave build-up.
fiberglass of good density is great replacement for both the 240 series and probably 250 as well. i have thick rolled out fiberglass in both my sextetts and DF's to replace it's rotted foam inside. works very well inside. i noticed a bigger affect though with my sextetts than my DF's though. my sextetts had some acoustic junk in there that actually made them too relaxed and slightly warm sounding. soon i ripped that sticky acoustic foam crap out they actually cleaned right up and the sextetts high frequency was restored.
also that can explain your finding on better separation believe it or not, is the 250's are naturally balanced with 4-core wiring. lot of people don't believe in balancing but all the headphones i heard naturally balanced, especially older studio headphones they had very good separation. even the big closed pioneer monitor 10's i use to have, had insanely good separation that sounded more open than most open headphones. that's another reason why i balanced my DF's besides being able to drive them from speaker outputs of power amps.post #230 of 2334/18/12 at 2:40pm
You have just convinced me to build a balanced audio set up. It will take some time but given my headphone collection right now is more than agreeable I can focus on my set up and wiring.post #231 of 2334/19/12 at 3:11amQuote:
wish you luck! since you already have a balanced dac, you just need to make the headphones itself balanced. can either use your audio interface/dac directly or use a power amp/integrated amp or even a receiver speaker outs. speaker amps usually have separate driver boards for the left and right channel already so technically they're already considered balanced and the common ground is just there for protection and completely different when comparing common ground of a headphone cause the negative outputs of a power amp acts as a separate ground as well. only way a power amp does not use a common ground at all, which is uncommon, is if it's meant to be bridged together with other power amps. usually some mono power amps don't have a common ground.
interconnects, don't really have to worry too much cause just about any form of connector can be balanced, even rca jacks, cause balanced just means each channel having a separate ground. biggest difference would probably most likely making the headphones balanced itself though. the channels will no longer be split and will mirror each other like speakers do. like each channel plays the same thing on both left and right but forms an image when both are played at the same time. headphones with a common ground don't do that and they split the stereo image apart with a shared common ground.post #232 of 23312/4/12 at 10:23ampost #233 of 2338/12/14 at 3:34am
I don't know if this is the right thread to post, I hope it is. I found someone who is selling a pair of AKG K-250 in good condition (he says) for about 56 euros (converted from local currency). I looked at hi-res pictures of the headphones, they look indeed very good, but I am asking you if it's worth it. Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-598, brought new from the store. I am not quite please of the sound, it's hard to describe, but I don't find the sound that much refined. Don't know if it's the source or not, but tested on everything I have they sound the same. I tested on my Denon amplifier, Denon CD-player, Creative X-Fi Platinum front header with Headphone Amp included, heck, I even tested them on my Technics deck and Samsung phone. So, out of curiosity, I wonder if this AKG will sound better. Now, I know it's hard to define "better", but to sound clear and crisp and not sound coming from all places, mixed and altogether, like I am getting from Sennheiser. Another thing I took into consideration is that I never had a such high impedance phones, only up to 50 ohms so far and those AKG's are 600 ohms, so I wonder if they are more sensible and more precise in sound. I know that this is an old model and don't know how much of the quality was preserved, but the seller (from where I bought other things in the past) says they do sound great. And no, I can't listen to them, seller lives in another town from me. So, I am welcome any kind of advice. Is it worth the price ? Will they sound better ? Was AKG K-250 considered a good model or a flop ? And how much did it cost when new ?
Thanks a lot.
- The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 43 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Join in the first meeting ever of FiiO in US!! 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for mid level of Active Noise Cancellation headphones/headset 2 minutes ago
- › iFi audio iPower - universal Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 6 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 6 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...