- 2,340 Posts. Joined 7/2010
- Location: Riverside,NJ
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which brand sounds the clearest with moderate to high bass? Last post on 11/7/12 at 6:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Global Force, DJ and Producer TIËSTO, Teams With AKG for New Headphone Line Last post on 10/14/12 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I need help to pave my journey towards audiophiliation! Last post on 9/7/12 at 8:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Possible Rare Headphones? Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
I've owned this for about 6 months when I bought it direct from China. As a 68 year old it took me back to a time when I used to go to live concerts. But there were hidden costs involved. Firstly...
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid) - Page 16post #226 of 2334/16/12 at 12:22aminteresting. i usually found fluffing out the pads with cotton improve overall performance.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #227 of 2334/16/12 at 6:35pmThread Starterpost #228 of 2334/17/12 at 6:53amThread Starterpost #229 of 2334/18/12 at 6:56amthe swiveling comes from the little protector over the driver. the wiring on the 250's looks like the same as the sextetts using 4-core wiring. you could actually easily cut the 1/4'' jack off and solder a 4-pin xlr jack to it if you wanted to. also even though it's not listed i would defiantly experiment and try some foam or maybe thin layer of fiberglass cause the 240 series and 250 are only semi-open meaning there is still high possibility of enclosure resonance and standing wave build-up.
fiberglass of good density is great replacement for both the 240 series and probably 250 as well. i have thick rolled out fiberglass in both my sextetts and DF's to replace it's rotted foam inside. works very well inside. i noticed a bigger affect though with my sextetts than my DF's though. my sextetts had some acoustic junk in there that actually made them too relaxed and slightly warm sounding. soon i ripped that sticky acoustic foam crap out they actually cleaned right up and the sextetts high frequency was restored.
also that can explain your finding on better separation believe it or not, is the 250's are naturally balanced with 4-core wiring. lot of people don't believe in balancing but all the headphones i heard naturally balanced, especially older studio headphones they had very good separation. even the big closed pioneer monitor 10's i use to have, had insanely good separation that sounded more open than most open headphones. that's another reason why i balanced my DF's besides being able to drive them from speaker outputs of power amps.post #230 of 2334/18/12 at 2:40pm
You have just convinced me to build a balanced audio set up. It will take some time but given my headphone collection right now is more than agreeable I can focus on my set up and wiring.post #231 of 2334/19/12 at 3:11amQuote:
wish you luck! since you already have a balanced dac, you just need to make the headphones itself balanced. can either use your audio interface/dac directly or use a power amp/integrated amp or even a receiver speaker outs. speaker amps usually have separate driver boards for the left and right channel already so technically they're already considered balanced and the common ground is just there for protection and completely different when comparing common ground of a headphone cause the negative outputs of a power amp acts as a separate ground as well. only way a power amp does not use a common ground at all, which is uncommon, is if it's meant to be bridged together with other power amps. usually some mono power amps don't have a common ground.
interconnects, don't really have to worry too much cause just about any form of connector can be balanced, even rca jacks, cause balanced just means each channel having a separate ground. biggest difference would probably most likely making the headphones balanced itself though. the channels will no longer be split and will mirror each other like speakers do. like each channel plays the same thing on both left and right but forms an image when both are played at the same time. headphones with a common ground don't do that and they split the stereo image apart with a shared common ground.post #232 of 23312/4/12 at 10:23ampost #233 of 2338/12/14 at 3:34am
I don't know if this is the right thread to post, I hope it is. I found someone who is selling a pair of AKG K-250 in good condition (he says) for about 56 euros (converted from local currency). I looked at hi-res pictures of the headphones, they look indeed very good, but I am asking you if it's worth it. Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-598, brought new from the store. I am not quite please of the sound, it's hard to describe, but I don't find the sound that much refined. Don't know if it's the source or not, but tested on everything I have they sound the same. I tested on my Denon amplifier, Denon CD-player, Creative X-Fi Platinum front header with Headphone Amp included, heck, I even tested them on my Technics deck and Samsung phone. So, out of curiosity, I wonder if this AKG will sound better. Now, I know it's hard to define "better", but to sound clear and crisp and not sound coming from all places, mixed and altogether, like I am getting from Sennheiser. Another thing I took into consideration is that I never had a such high impedance phones, only up to 50 ohms so far and those AKG's are 600 ohms, so I wonder if they are more sensible and more precise in sound. I know that this is an old model and don't know how much of the quality was preserved, but the seller (from where I bought other things in the past) says they do sound great. And no, I can't listen to them, seller lives in another town from me. So, I am welcome any kind of advice. Is it worth the price ? Will they sound better ? Was AKG K-250 considered a good model or a flop ? And how much did it cost when new ?
Thanks a lot.
- The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › ADEL Technology - Discussion Thread - Update: March 27, 2016:... 1 minute ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 3 minutes ago
- › Has anyone tested the Beoplay h5 4 minutes ago
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › MINI AUDIO MA01 - SPEC & PHOTOS (DX100 Successor!!) 5 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...