- 2,340 Posts. Joined 7/2010
- Location: Riverside,NJ
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which brand sounds the clearest with moderate to high bass? Last post on 11/7/12 at 6:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Global Force, DJ and Producer TIËSTO, Teams With AKG for New Headphone Line Last post on 10/14/12 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I need help to pave my journey towards audiophiliation! Last post on 9/7/12 at 8:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Possible Rare Headphones? Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid) - Page 16post #226 of 2334/16/12 at 12:22aminteresting. i usually found fluffing out the pads with cotton improve overall performance.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #227 of 2334/16/12 at 6:35pmThread Starterpost #228 of 2334/17/12 at 6:53amThread Starterpost #229 of 2334/18/12 at 6:56amthe swiveling comes from the little protector over the driver. the wiring on the 250's looks like the same as the sextetts using 4-core wiring. you could actually easily cut the 1/4'' jack off and solder a 4-pin xlr jack to it if you wanted to. also even though it's not listed i would defiantly experiment and try some foam or maybe thin layer of fiberglass cause the 240 series and 250 are only semi-open meaning there is still high possibility of enclosure resonance and standing wave build-up.
fiberglass of good density is great replacement for both the 240 series and probably 250 as well. i have thick rolled out fiberglass in both my sextetts and DF's to replace it's rotted foam inside. works very well inside. i noticed a bigger affect though with my sextetts than my DF's though. my sextetts had some acoustic junk in there that actually made them too relaxed and slightly warm sounding. soon i ripped that sticky acoustic foam crap out they actually cleaned right up and the sextetts high frequency was restored.
also that can explain your finding on better separation believe it or not, is the 250's are naturally balanced with 4-core wiring. lot of people don't believe in balancing but all the headphones i heard naturally balanced, especially older studio headphones they had very good separation. even the big closed pioneer monitor 10's i use to have, had insanely good separation that sounded more open than most open headphones. that's another reason why i balanced my DF's besides being able to drive them from speaker outputs of power amps.post #230 of 2334/18/12 at 2:40pm
You have just convinced me to build a balanced audio set up. It will take some time but given my headphone collection right now is more than agreeable I can focus on my set up and wiring.post #231 of 2334/19/12 at 3:11amQuote:
wish you luck! since you already have a balanced dac, you just need to make the headphones itself balanced. can either use your audio interface/dac directly or use a power amp/integrated amp or even a receiver speaker outs. speaker amps usually have separate driver boards for the left and right channel already so technically they're already considered balanced and the common ground is just there for protection and completely different when comparing common ground of a headphone cause the negative outputs of a power amp acts as a separate ground as well. only way a power amp does not use a common ground at all, which is uncommon, is if it's meant to be bridged together with other power amps. usually some mono power amps don't have a common ground.
interconnects, don't really have to worry too much cause just about any form of connector can be balanced, even rca jacks, cause balanced just means each channel having a separate ground. biggest difference would probably most likely making the headphones balanced itself though. the channels will no longer be split and will mirror each other like speakers do. like each channel plays the same thing on both left and right but forms an image when both are played at the same time. headphones with a common ground don't do that and they split the stereo image apart with a shared common ground.post #232 of 23312/4/12 at 10:23ampost #233 of 2338/12/14 at 3:34am
I don't know if this is the right thread to post, I hope it is. I found someone who is selling a pair of AKG K-250 in good condition (he says) for about 56 euros (converted from local currency). I looked at hi-res pictures of the headphones, they look indeed very good, but I am asking you if it's worth it. Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-598, brought new from the store. I am not quite please of the sound, it's hard to describe, but I don't find the sound that much refined. Don't know if it's the source or not, but tested on everything I have they sound the same. I tested on my Denon amplifier, Denon CD-player, Creative X-Fi Platinum front header with Headphone Amp included, heck, I even tested them on my Technics deck and Samsung phone. So, out of curiosity, I wonder if this AKG will sound better. Now, I know it's hard to define "better", but to sound clear and crisp and not sound coming from all places, mixed and altogether, like I am getting from Sennheiser. Another thing I took into consideration is that I never had a such high impedance phones, only up to 50 ohms so far and those AKG's are 600 ohms, so I wonder if they are more sensible and more precise in sound. I know that this is an old model and don't know how much of the quality was preserved, but the seller (from where I bought other things in the past) says they do sound great. And no, I can't listen to them, seller lives in another town from me. So, I am welcome any kind of advice. Is it worth the price ? Will they sound better ? Was AKG K-250 considered a good model or a flop ? And how much did it cost when new ?
Thanks a lot.
- The AKG K 250 (history, pictures, and a review of this forgotten dynamic K 340/K 241 hybrid)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 16 seconds ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 30 seconds ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 1 minute ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Best Looking Speakers? 3 minutes ago
- › Singxer F1 XMOS208 USB/SPDIF w/Enclosure 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 3 minutes ago
- › Help choosing headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Baby Orpheus HE60 HEV70 4 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...