I've been looking for a fairly cheap amp for my HD800's. I currently use them in conjunction with my Fiio E7/E9 combo. What can I say, I bought those for my Denon D7000 :) As expected I'm left with a very thin and bright sound which doesn't even put the HD800's in the same league as the HD650's in terms of stock sound when both are paired with the Fiio combo. Anyway I was told that the Head CanAmp is similar to the higher priced Lehmann Linear Black Cube Amp which apparently was used during the production of the HD800. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Heed CanAmp and how it fairs with the HD800's. Also what would be an ideal DAC to go with it
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 1/4/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 1/4/12
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 1/4/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/4/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/4/12
- productHeed CanAmptagged by System, 1/4/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 1/4/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Do I buy Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE500 as upgrade solution to my current HD650/K701 combo? Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most Comfortable Headphone you own!!!! Last post on 10/13/12 at 9:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- plz recommend headphone+amp+dac with $1,000 budgets. Last post on 9/8/12 at 11:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Heed CanAmp Suitable For HD800?post #1 of 1212/30/11 at 11:29pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1212/31/11 at 11:55pmpost #3 of 121/1/12 at 12:07amThread Starter
I was hoping to use my Fiio E7 for the meantime :( Although I would be willing to spend around £200.00 ($350.00) on a DAC when I have enough money. I've also been reading about AMP and DAC all in one units. I was wondering if there are any decent ones for around $800.00. Been looking at the AudioLab M-DAC, DACmagic and also the lower end Yulong D100. Any other suggestions for around that price.
Thankspost #4 of 121/1/12 at 10:51ampost #5 of 121/1/12 at 12:02pmpost #6 of 121/1/12 at 2:54pmThread Starter
Yeah the person I bought the HD800's from advised me to buy the Lehmann Linear which apparently was used to develop the HD800's. Problem is that amp cost's a bit too much and I will also need a DAC with it too. The Lehmann Linear also comes in a Amp + DAC all in one unit version which tops £1000.00! I've been looking at the AudioLab M-DAC. Not sure how that would sound with the HD800's though.post #7 of 121/1/12 at 3:35pmpost #8 of 121/1/12 at 4:05pmThread Starter
Wow thanks for the find, I've actually heard of the lovely cube but i thought it was some cheap replica. Had no idea that it was modeled after the BCL. I'm going to check out the reviews for it now :) I wonder how it compares to the real Lehmann Black cube linear. Well it's a lot cheaper so I guess I won't mind if it doesn't sound as great as it's counterpart. I just want the HD800's to sound on par with my Denon D7000's :) And it does sound kinda cute doesn't it, very girly lolpost #9 of 121/1/12 at 4:07pm
its supposed to be an exact replica
it does sound cute!!! thats why i want one lol
plus i've heard the regular version before and its pretty good. small amp too, hence the lovely cube.
EDIT: read some posts on the official lovely cube thread
guess theyre almost the same and the sound is very very close but does have small differencce.
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 1/1/12 at 4:12pmpost #10 of 121/1/12 at 4:15pmThread Starterpost #11 of 121/1/12 at 4:23pm
You might want to try the Bravo / Indeed 6922EH hybrid amps, my HD800 has been pairing with a Bravo V1 deluxe 6922EH tube for some time now and i'm more than happy with the sound. No more thin / lifeless sound (of SS amp), everything is thick, bassy and dynamic, way more musical than with any ss amps i ever tried. Worth every penny, imo ofc.
If you want a review feel more convinced, then here it is: http://www.headfonia.com/bravo-hybrid-tube-amplifier/
PS: I have the D7000 too and the HD800 + Bravo is a league above, in term of detail and musicality ;)
Edited by pumbaa32 - 1/1/12 at 4:41pmpost #12 of 121/1/12 at 4:26pm
I use the canamp with Senn HD650's and have owned numerous other amps before settling on the canamp
Solid amp, strong bottom end, and quite good in all other areas as well. Only reason I might 'upgrade' is to add, but not replace, with a balanced system
- Heed CanAmp Suitable For HD800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Lear BD4.2 impressions and appreciation thread + Australian tour 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 5 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 6 minutes ago
- › HD800 Colorware Jet Black with 10' Balanced DHC Molecule Cable 6 minutes ago
- › Closest alternative to Sony MDR-v900? 7 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)