Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 61

post #901 of 6544
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanssjn View Post


Well, all 3 USB ports do it and the E17 driver has been installed numerous times, and 3 on a fresh Windows 7 install.  It has to be something in the USB hub drivers or something, who knows.  I do not believe it is in any way the E17s fault.



Do you have any self-power USB hub at home? It is a long shot, but I guess it is still worth trying.

post #902 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanssjn View Post



What version of Linux, if I may be so bold.



Yes, bold question and I'm hoping it doesn't open a can of worms. :)

 

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 on my other laptop.


Edited by mister2d - 1/29/12 at 9:59pm
post #903 of 6544


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

I'll say it is likely the either on playback software or driver, the digital resolution isn't set correctly. It happened to E10 user with Macbook as well. When the driver isn't set right, he heard only static. But once it was set correctly, music started to play. It seems to be pretty common problem for Macbook.

 

 



The only thing I did was turn the E17 off and then back on and no static after that. I'll continue to monitor it throughout the week.

 

Thanks.

post #904 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post

Yes, bold question and I'm hoping it doesn't open a can of worms. :)

 

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 on my other laptop.


I am mildly competent with that and will try it.

 

post #905 of 6544

In case of static and popping noise, self powered usb will help, as sometime usb port doesn't give proper supply to drive dac.

post #906 of 6544

On the same laptop, Ubuntu 11.10 sends a clean signal to the E17 and there is no crackle.

 

Must be a Windows 7 USB driver issue,

post #907 of 6544

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroboscopic View Post

 

That's irrelevant since the La Crosse charger is for NiMH batteries. Li-ion batteries (like the ones on the E17/Alpen) have a totally different chemistry.

 

 

 

From: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries (my bold)


I guess you are right. Good job in pointing that one out. Charging with lower mA does not apply for the Li-ion battery. Instead, the voltage level to which the cells are charged plays a role in extending longevity. A higher voltage would boost capacity, while over-voltage shortens service life (cycle life). When the charging light turned blue for E17, it should cut off the charging to prevent over-voltage.

 

A typical Li-ion battery life span about 500 discharge/charge cycles. E17 can run 15 hours usage per charge. 4 hours usage per day would mean the battery could last 1875 days (15x500/4=1875) or 5 years. However, using it with the usb plug in (regardless input source) could prolong the battery life as the battery is not in use. Correct me if I am wrong.

post #908 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by weitn View Post

Instead, the voltage level to which the cells are charged plays a role in extending longevity. A higher voltage would boost capacity, while over-voltage shortens service life (cycle life). When the charging light turned blue for E17, it should cut off the charging to prevent over-voltage.


Yes. But there's not much we can do since the charger circuit for the Alpen is inside the Alpen (USB works just a power source).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitn View Post

A typical Li-ion battery life span about 500 discharge/charge cycles.

 

Don't forget those are "full cycles". You can easily prolong a Li-ion battery by doing partial cycles (both in charge and discharge). So, whenever possible, avoid reaching both 0% and 100% charge. Avoiding 0% charge is relatively easy: just charge the battery whenever possible.  Avoiding 100% charge is just not practical, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
 

 

post #909 of 6544
maQuote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post



 

This is weird. Now it's not happening on either laptop and I didn't do a thing except turn the unit off and then back on. Works fine in Linux, btw (to my enjoyment).

 

Well, I'll continue evaluating for the week and see how it goes and not think about it unless it comes up.


hhaha. that's why i said to go try it with others first before going E17 is broken-ed

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanssjn View Post

On the same laptop, Ubuntu 11.10 sends a clean signal to the E17 and there is no crackle.

 

Must be a Windows 7 USB driver issue,


hmm maybe a full driver recheck and update for everything from chipset and if you have seperate drivers for north or southbridge.. and yeah. USB if i remember correctly is in the southbridge. the chipset itself if i remember correctly is also the northbridge usually.

 

post #910 of 6544

After now spending about 18 hours of listening on my E17.....and comparing to amps I have actually owned.....

 

Not a single regret on buying the E17, it is everything I expected it to be.  Nice work FiiO.

 

With my listening setup (see sig), it is a great addition.  Easy to use, every button/menu layout makes perfect sense (well, 99.9% perfect sense, see comment later).

 

Musically, it is a pleasure.  For me, it's added depth/width of the soundstage, better resolution/detail (without being harsh or fatiguing), both with my AKG k701s and my UE TF10s.  With very well recorded/mixed/produced material (any genre), it is very easy to hear what was intended both musically and spatially.  In really quiet or dark recordings (live classical/vocal/rock, unplugged, etc.), it's just a dream....no hiss on either of my 'phones.  I can comfortably use 'no gain' on my UE TF10s, and set it at 6 gain for the AKG k701s and the E17 drives them to comfortable volume levels easily.  

 

My only niggles (the 0.1% of what I'd like to see added) with the E17...is that it would be nice for it to turn off the screen display and LEDs after no buttons are pressed for a period of time.  Yes, I know there is a hold button, and I know there is a sleep timer (AWESOME for me and how I use it).  Both accomplish turning off the screen.  But.....it could, I think, be made very easily to auto dim/sleep the display and LEDs after 2,3,5,10 minutes (or whatever) just like an iPod or iPhone or iPad does and keep on being awesome.  If it could also do the same for the LEDs on the Power/Exit button, that would be double perfection.  Not everyone needs to see the Display/LEDs on to know it's still working/functional (like when using at night).  Like I said, it's 99.9% perfection of what I wanted in a new portable amp/desktop DAC.

 

beerchug.gif

post #911 of 6544


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartphoto View Post

After now spending about 18 hours of listening on my E17.....and comparing to amps I have actually owned.....

 

Not a single regret on buying the E17, it is everything I expected it to be.  Nice work FiiO.

 

With my listening setup (see sig), it is a great addition.  Easy to use, every button/menu layout makes perfect sense (well, 99.9% perfect sense, see comment later).

 

Musically, it is a pleasure.  For me, it's added depth/width of the soundstage, better resolution/detail (without being harsh or fatiguing), both with my AKG k701s and my UE TF10s.  With very well recorded/mixed/produced material (any genre), it is very easy to hear what was intended both musically and spatially.  In really quiet or dark recordings (live classical/vocal/rock, unplugged, etc.), it's just a dream....no hiss on either of my 'phones.  I can comfortably use 'no gain' on my UE TF10s, and set it at 6 gain for the AKG k701s and the E17 drives them to comfortable volume levels easily.  

 

My only niggles (the 0.1% of what I'd like to see added) with the E17...is that it would be nice for it to turn off the screen display and LEDs after no buttons are pressed for a period of time.  Yes, I know there is a hold button, and I know there is a sleep timer (AWESOME for me and how I use it).  Both accomplish turning off the screen.  But.....it could, I think, be made very easily to auto dim/sleep the display and LEDs after 2,3,5,10 minutes (or whatever) just like an iPod or iPhone or iPad does and keep on being awesome.  If it could also do the same for the LEDs on the Power/Exit button, that would be double perfection.  Not everyone needs to see the Display/LEDs on to know it's still working/functional (like when using at night).  Like I said, it's 99.9% perfection of what I wanted in a new portable amp/desktop DAC.

 

beerchug.gif


The auto dim would be a great feature. Thx for the post i agree with everything. Only problem i have is eq. I have diverse songs so i change eq a lot. Every two songs or even ever minute. Its annoying. But thats my fault. User caused. Another one is buttons. Sometimes i press wrong buttons bc im pressing them with the e17 facing floor using with my ipod and press wrong ones. Again. All me

 

 

post #912 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

The auto dim would be a great feature. Thx for the post i agree with everything. Only problem i have is eq. I have diverse songs so i change eq a lot. Every two songs or even ever minute. Its annoying. But thats my fault. User caused. Another one is buttons. Sometimes i press wrong buttons bc im pressing them with the e17 facing floor using with my ipod and press wrong ones. Again. All me.

 

I'm also an EQ hound....changing it frequently.  Might take a look at EQu or Equalizer (IIRC, that's what you use the E17 with, didn't go back in the thread and re-look at your pics).  Both are good apps for the iDevices, but a bit processor/battery intensive.  I've setup different EQ presets in the apps, much like the Apple presets (but better) for the different music I listen to.  From Dubstep to Pop to Hair Band to Metal to Classic Rock to Vocals to Classical....just about everything 'cept Rap and twangy Country.

 

I pretty much do the typical V curve EQ on most music...but vary the high end depending on the original recording quality.  I like detail, even though I'd probably better qualify as the HF 'bass head', but not detail that's unnatural.

 

HTH.

 

post #913 of 6544

It's so good to read about all these impressions. I won't be getting a E17 for my personal use until the second batch comes in, the anticipation keeps building...

 

Good times!

 

Jack

post #914 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


 


The auto dim would be a great feature. Thx for the post i agree with everything. Only problem i have is eq. I have diverse songs so i change eq a lot. Every two songs or even ever minute. Its annoying. But thats my fault. User caused. Another one is buttons. Sometimes i press wrong buttons bc im pressing them with the e17 facing floor using with my ipod and press wrong ones. Again. All me

 

 


You sound apologetic aha!? 

I think with regards eq, you've just got to find a compromise based on what you listen too most and let your brain fill in the rest!

Good to see its mostly a positive start, its always a bit worrying buying a newly released products especially electronics... but someones gotta take a punt to get the ball rolling!

 

post #915 of 6544

Same question here:

 

Setup would be a MacBook Pro -->  iTunes with ALAC and 256kbit m4a Files --> Fiio e17 --> Denon D5000 or Westone 4

 

My Fiio is arriving tomorrow and somehow I wonder if the Fiio e17 is enough to bring the best out of these rather expensive Cans/IEMs....


Edited by AykDaddy - 1/30/12 at 9:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought