LMAO.. I was about to ask him to clarify for you. His question is quite vague as it stands...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ideal thanks, mate on another forum wanted to know.
What about running from and xbox/tv using the 3.5mm jacks or spdif, im assuming it's dac only then?
Edited by Huxley - 1/7/12 at 8:12am
The e17 is an amp/dac combo.
What kind of connection on the 3.5? If you connect to it with an analog conenction then 100% of the time with any component it will be an amp. If you connect to it with a digital connection then 100% of the time with any (amp/dac) component it will be a DAC (and mostly likely amp also - unless using a lineout).
Yes, it can't.
The USB receiver, DAC, and the power amp section (*more specifically, just the chips on these places) are the same. Everything else is different. Detail will be covered in the upcoming review, but for now, you can think of E17 as the portable version of E10 on steroid.
if the iphone had a digital out you could use it as a amp/dac but it doesn't. There are a few (very few) devices that can get digital out of an iphone - I don't see anyone doing this but you could use an iPure doc to get digital off the iphone then connect to the e17.
There really is no relation between an ipod and the e17. An ipod is a storage device and a transport (with a DAC and amp) and the e17 is a Dac (or source) with an amp - it can only play what something else gives to it.
But the portable digital out is really the magic question. An ipod has a digital out only if you combine it with something like the Ipure. The HM601 and 801 have digital outs but are very high end. I think there was a zune dock that had digital outs (but the doc makes it unportable). Yes, some CD players have digital outs. There are quite a few DAPs now (digital audio players) but most of them dont have it. I think there is a whole new round of them coming out. The Fiio X3 was going to be the new standard in portable DAP with digital out but it got put on hold due to external issues. When I started writing this I had other devices on my mind but I'm suddenly drawing a blank.
While I don't recommend it as my end-all/be-all DAP, I've actually been using my iPad 2 for lossless playback through a DAC. Using the USB adapter that comes with the iPad Camera Connection Kit, you can attach USB DACs. I've been using my iPad 2 with lossless audio files through the USB adapter into my Headamp Pico DAC/Amp. The quality is awesome! I really can't tell the difference listening to the same music from either my MacBook Pro with the Pico attached via USB or the iPad 2 connected the same.
I also have one of the older Apple Universal docks that features a combo 3.5mm stereo jack that also doubles as a SPDIF optical connection. Apple advertised these originally to support digital out from the iPods and early iPhone models. It still works with my iPhone 4 too. I'm really looking forward to the purchase of an E17 and will definitely try feeding the optical output from the old dock into the E17.
Cambridge Audio also makes docks for iDevices that feature digital out, but they are also quite expensive - http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-iD100-Digital-Black/dp/B004KSKYUE
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Best in ear headphones for bass and noise insulation? 8 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 49 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 2 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for recommendations for closed headphones around $100. 2 minutes ago
- › I could really use some guidance from you guys 2 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)