LMAO.. I was about to ask him to clarify for you. His question is quite vague as it stands...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 7post #91 of 62701/7/12 at 12:31am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 62701/7/12 at 12:35ampost #93 of 62701/7/12 at 2:14amThread Starterpost #94 of 62701/7/12 at 7:59ampost #95 of 62701/7/12 at 8:02ampost #96 of 62701/7/12 at 8:07am
Ideal thanks, mate on another forum wanted to know.
What about running from and xbox/tv using the 3.5mm jacks or spdif, im assuming it's dac only then?
Edited by Huxley - 1/7/12 at 8:12ampost #97 of 62701/7/12 at 8:58am
The e17 is an amp/dac combo.
What kind of connection on the 3.5? If you connect to it with an analog conenction then 100% of the time with any component it will be an amp. If you connect to it with a digital connection then 100% of the time with any (amp/dac) component it will be a DAC (and mostly likely amp also - unless using a lineout).post #98 of 62701/7/12 at 9:24ampost #99 of 62701/7/12 at 9:26ampost #100 of 62701/7/12 at 9:31ampost #101 of 62701/7/12 at 9:48amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, it can't.
The USB receiver, DAC, and the power amp section (*more specifically, just the chips on these places) are the same. Everything else is different. Detail will be covered in the upcoming review, but for now, you can think of E17 as the portable version of E10 on steroid.
post #102 of 62701/7/12 at 10:25am
if the iphone had a digital out you could use it as a amp/dac but it doesn't. There are a few (very few) devices that can get digital out of an iphone - I don't see anyone doing this but you could use an iPure doc to get digital off the iphone then connect to the e17.post #103 of 62701/7/12 at 1:06pmpost #104 of 62701/7/12 at 8:07pm
There really is no relation between an ipod and the e17. An ipod is a storage device and a transport (with a DAC and amp) and the e17 is a Dac (or source) with an amp - it can only play what something else gives to it.
But the portable digital out is really the magic question. An ipod has a digital out only if you combine it with something like the Ipure. The HM601 and 801 have digital outs but are very high end. I think there was a zune dock that had digital outs (but the doc makes it unportable). Yes, some CD players have digital outs. There are quite a few DAPs now (digital audio players) but most of them dont have it. I think there is a whole new round of them coming out. The Fiio X3 was going to be the new standard in portable DAP with digital out but it got put on hold due to external issues. When I started writing this I had other devices on my mind but I'm suddenly drawing a blank.post #105 of 62701/7/12 at 10:43pm
While I don't recommend it as my end-all/be-all DAP, I've actually been using my iPad 2 for lossless playback through a DAC. Using the USB adapter that comes with the iPad Camera Connection Kit, you can attach USB DACs. I've been using my iPad 2 with lossless audio files through the USB adapter into my Headamp Pico DAC/Amp. The quality is awesome! I really can't tell the difference listening to the same music from either my MacBook Pro with the Pico attached via USB or the iPad 2 connected the same.
I also have one of the older Apple Universal docks that features a combo 3.5mm stereo jack that also doubles as a SPDIF optical connection. Apple advertised these originally to support digital out from the iPods and early iPhone models. It still works with my iPhone 4 too. I'm really looking forward to the purchase of an E17 and will definitely try feeding the optical output from the old dock into the E17.
Cambridge Audio also makes docks for iDevices that feature digital out, but they are also quite expensive - http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-iD100-Digital-Black/dp/B004KSKYUE
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 27 seconds ago
- › Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650) 35 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 36 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 5 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 7 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude